• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

RAAM champion Jure Robic dead

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe it...
I grew up hearing about him, his was know in cycling circles here in Serbia. I have no words to express myself...it's just stupid and sad thing to happen to such man.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
he was and is still the man i have never been more impressed and intimidated by any one man in sport. what a hard *** mofo he makes ALL pro tour riders look like pampered little girls. anyone who disagrees look into his wins and records the true real deal of toughness and mental ability. utterly a true hard man what a loss im so sorry for his loved ones god bless.:confused:

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
forty four said:
he was and is still the man i have never been more impressed and intimidated by any one man in sport. what a hard *** mofo he makes ALL pro tour riders look like pampered little girls. anyone who disagrees look into his wins and records the true real deal of toughness and mental ability. utterly a true hard man what a loss im so sorry for his loved ones god bless.:confused:

He was clearly a very tough rider and the 24 hour record is impressive.
I still don't get why endurance over speed is better for some people but you have to respect him as a fellow bike rider.

Apr 6, 2009
Visit site
Which 24 hour record did he hold? According to what I can find he did 518.7 miles in 2004. However Andy Wilkinson holds the RTTC record at 525 miles set in 1997.

So which governing body ratifies the official world record, that is if there is an official world record.

swiftybjb said:
Which 24 hour record did he hold? According to what I can find he did 518.7 miles in 2004. However Andy Wilkinson holds the RTTC record at 525 miles set in 1997.

So which governing body ratifies the official world record, that is if there is an official world record.

Are they allowed to start on a big mountain so that they get a bit of downhill or would the record not stand?

I remember one of the Vuelta colombia profiles had them going down pretty much the whole stage.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
sublimit said:
He was clearly a very tough rider and the 24 hour record is impressive.
I still don't get why endurance over speed is better for some people but you have to respect him as a fellow bike rider.

your kidding right? anyways it is far more difficult takes more mental and physical discipline etc... very few pro tour riders could mentally or physically handle what some of these ultra endurance riders do. they are different animals altogether look into his(jure's) training regimens and his general wins. again it makes protour riders look like children when i talk to protour riders on this subject they say the same. doing a raam on 9 hous sleep and winning is just beyond words very cool. its not about better but as far as pure human mental ability and suffering go these guys are king and jure is the king of kings imo.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Wow, interesting profile in the NYT. Robic pushed himself well into madness during those endurance events, even if only temporarily.

Bloody cars.

RIP Robic.

Jure Robic leaves a positive legacy behind.

My favourite quotes from him are:

"I find motivation everywhere"

"You must trick your brain into letting you ride further.."

I rode 515km solo in one day after reading about Jure's feats on the bike.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Very sad indeed!! Jock Boyer made the transition to RAAM and won if I am not mistaken!! But point taken, these guys are insane!

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
So, there is a pattern here. These long distance cyclists have a habit of head-on collisons with cars. Robic recentley and some lower finisher in the race across the sky recently. How many fatalities have there been in th RAAM. Seems like these ultra- marathons are for the risk takers.