• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rabbobank Letter and 2012

Apparently 12 cyclists have sent a letter to a dutch newspaper claiming rabbobank's doping extended to 2012.

The only named signature is Thomas Dekker, the other remained anonymous, while I have no doubt that doping took place at rabbobank, is the 2012 date credible?

From my understanding of the issue, in 1996 Rabobank in order to be compeitive took the decision to dope, this was acccording to what I have read that they were getting laughed at by other teams in the Peleton,

Things were toned down somewhat after the Festina affair, were it seems that you had to ask about it to be on the program

The story we get though is it was stopped around 2008, but these 12 riders claimed differently, it would be could to have there names to ascertain when they left Rabo

http://vozpopuli.com/deportes/20208-ciclismo-la-gran-mentira-de-1996-a-2012-rabobank-funciono-con-dopaje

del1962 said:
Apparently 12 cyclists have sent a letter to a dutch newspaper claiming rabbobank's doping extended to 2012.

The only named signature is Thomas Dekker, the other remained anonymous, while I have no doubt that doping took place at rabbobank, is the 2012 date credible?

From my understanding of the issue, in 1996 Rabobank in order to be compeitive took the decision to dope, this was acccording to what I have read that they were getting laughed at by other teams in the Peleton,

Things were toned down somewhat after the Festina affair, were it seems that you had to ask about it to be on the program

The story we get though is it was stopped around 2008, but these 12 riders claimed differently, it would be could to have there names to ascertain when they left Rabo

How would Dekker be on there if he hasn't been at the team since when 2008/09.

Apparently this was a transcription error, repeated acritically by so-called journalists.

I'm still curious about the whole "Rabobank started doping in 1996". That was the first year with that sponsor. Did Novell have a teamwide doping program?

hrotha said:
Apparently this was a transcription error, repeated acritically by so-called journalists.

I'm still curious about the whole "Rabobank started doping in 1996". That was the first year with that sponsor. Did Novell have a teamwide doping program?

So what did the letter say if not 2012? it is annoying when journo's dont get this right

Novell' sresults don't suggest a doping program.

del1962 said:

http://vozpopuli.com/deportes/20208-ciclismo-la-gran-mentira-de-1996-a-2012-rabobank-funciono-con-dopaje
This is complete b.llocks.

1. There wasn't a letter, journalist Thijs Zonneveld from daily newspaper NRC did an investigation among current and former riders about doping at Rabobank.

2. He concluded that in the early years, riders could go to team doctor Leinders and he would assist them with EPO.

3. After the Festina Tour it was everyone for themselves, some say the team doctors still helped them, some say the riders did it all on their own, and the managers/DSes had a 'see no evil, hear no evil' policy.

4.. He concluded that since 2007 (the Rasmussen Tour) there had been an absolute zero tolerance policy regarding doping on Rabobank, with the advent of new general manager Knebel (who was put there by the Rabobank board of directors to clean up the mess).

Somehow a dyslectic moron at a French language press office didn't understand the words 'zero tolerance', and the news snowballed from there. To France, Germany, Spain, etc.

the original Dutch language article can be found here.

theyoungest said:

1. There wasn't a letter, journalist Thijs Zonneveld from daily newspaper NRC did an investigation among current and former riders about doping at Rabobank.

2. He concluded that in the early years, riders could go to team doctor Leinders and he would assist them with EPO.

3. After the Festina Tour it was everyone for themselves, some say the team doctors still helped them, some say the riders did it all on their own, and the managers/DSes had a 'see no evil, hear no evil' policy.

4.. He concluded that since 2007 (the Rasmussen Tour) there had been an absolute zero tolerance policy regarding doping on Rabobank, with the advent of new general manager Knebel (who was put there by the Rabobank board of directors to clean up the mess).

Somehow a dyslectic moron at a French language press office didn't understand the words 'zero tolerance', and the news snowballed from there. To France, Germany, Spain, etc.

well, if they were on a team doping program in '12, they should fire the doctor and check the expiry dates on the vials.

theyoungest said:

Thanks that is a good article which I viewed in google translate, would love to see a proper English Trnslation though.

Just one question does kampioentje mean clean?