• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race thread: Olympics 2020/21 Tokyo, Men's Road Race, 234k

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clipboard.jpg

and then back to CX
Can we change Pog's thread title to "Pogacar is the new Pidcock"...

I'm not a big fan of Wout Van Aert but i feel so bad for him. Such a strong rider that's not afraid to take a turn but got Sagan'd once again just like in the Worlds last year.
The classic problem of being so strong that everybody knows you'll beat them at the end. People would be unlikely to help him anyway, but after his Tour exploits why would anybody collaborate with Wout, especially after McNulty was dropped by Carapaz - you're fighting for silver but tiring yourself out if you collaborate, and you're fighting for silver but being fresher if you don't. If he hadn't been as strong in the Tour he might have got better collaboration or, hell, if Roglič hadn't crashed out, so that he expended his energy more as a domestique than as a stagehunter, but then again would you trade the Tour that WVA just had to upgrade the Olympic medal from silver to gold? I don't think I would, but YMMV.

Wow, what a race. As expected, all important action started on Mikuni. When Pogacar and McNulty attacked I didn't think Van Aert would catch them at the end of the climb. He did an incredible effort on Mikuni, wow. OTOH Pogacar clearly didn't have his best wattage there. The decisive break happened later: at a plateau before a smaller climb when Carapaz and McNulty (again!) attacked. Afterwards another huge effort by Van Aert who decreased the gap from 45 to 14 seconds. They almost had them but then Carapaz attacked Brandon on another small hill and I felt it was decisive. Pogi almost passed Wout on a sprint! I thought he did it but Wout threw his bike better. Obviously a stellar podium, two guys from the TdF podium and Wout almighty. I feel bad for McNulty who was man of the day when it comes to attacks.

TRENDING THREADS