• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Indeed :p

I think we shouldn't draw conclusions too soon though. Both of them are still so young; who knows how they will develop?

Certainly at the beginning of the season, I think Mathieu and Adrie affirmed that Mathieu wasn't in his best shape. I mean, he was in a good shape, but they felt he wasn't riding at his highest level. I actually thought Mathieu was looking better yesterday than in the beginning of the season in difficult crosses. And as Echoes has been saying, he's doing a pretty heavy schedule for a 19 year old.

Yesterday was a really awesome cross in general by the way. I thought it was one of the most entertaining crosses I've seen this year and it's amazing that two 19/20 year olds dominated all the others so hard.

What do you mean he wasnt on form at the begining of the season? He won the first round of the Superprestige.

Yeah, that was proper cross racing. The race at Hamme, for the Flandriencross, was just a crit in woods on cross bikes

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
lemon cheese cake said:
What do you mean he wasnt on form at the begining of the season? He won the first round of the Superprestige.

Yeah, that was proper cross racing. The race at Hamme, for the Flandriencross, was just a crit in woods on cross bikes

Yes, you're right at the very beginning he did seem to be in an excellent shape winning his first cross, but in the period after that he didn't seem to reach the same level. I also specifically remember a small interview with Adrie van der Poel with Sporza during one of the crosses in that period where Adrie said Mathieu wasn't in top shape.

That being said, Mathieu seems to be back at a higher level again, having won in a dominant fashion in December. Van Aert still won convincingly in Loenhout though; I'd say Mathieu has never ridden at the level Van Aert has been demonstrating last few crosses.

We'll see how their rivalry develops though. Both of them are amazing talents, that's for sure. So far Van Aert clearly had the upper hand this season, but I don't think we've seen the last of Mathieu yet. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing both of them in the field for years to come. :)

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Echoes said:
I don't really know what you are implying but even though I'm far from being a fan of his, Wellens at Van Aert's age was already doing what Van Aert is doing now, winning the Koppenberg and a Superprestige event in Hoogstraeten. Nys did the same too, of course.

The royal trio of Zeddam 2006 - Stybar, Boom and Albert - could all win elite races while being U23 1st year, which Van Aert has never been able to do [verification: not true for Stybar, actually; only in his 2nd year].

Cyclocross is an early-flowering maturity sport. Vantornout who is now 32 admitted that he no longer had the explosivity to counter attacks from the youngsters like Van Aert or Van der Poel while he used to.

When it's Wellens, there's no need for implications.

The Boom, Albert, Stybar, Nys period was great, but what I meant with 'joke' is that the level is pretty low at this moment. Last year was nice but everything falls into place when you consider Albert being able only to give 80%, Nys being old, v/d Haar being a 1st year pro, etc. Whenever you're watcing a race being won by someone and van Aert and v/d Poel aren't competing you just know they only win because the two of them aren't there.

Happy day for both of us, Marty. :D

Mathieu for the day wins, Kevin for the World Cup. :)

Though I shouldn't forget the fact Lars had to pull out of Milton Keynes. Had he won there, it would've been close.

Oh and I'll have to get use to this new Argos jersey, lol. It's quite shocking when you have seen Lars in red white & blue for such a long time (whether national jersey or Rabo jersey). :p

Echoes said:
Happy day for both of us, Marty. :D

Mathieu for the day wins, Kevin for the World Cup. :)

Though I shouldn't forget the fact Lars had to pull out of Milton Keynes. Had he won there, it would've been close.

Oh and I'll have to get use to this new Argos jersey, lol. It's quite shocking when you have seen Lars in red white & blue for such a long time (whether national jersey or Rabo jersey). :p

Lars pulled out of Koksijde not MK.

Anyway good race for both riders in my Avatar (van Aert and Van der Poel). Hope they have good performances in the elite worlds next week. Nice win for Sweek in the U23s. Hope he wins in Tabor.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
It's such a shame that Styby got injured and decided to skip the worlds. Styby in Tabor WC would have been awesome. :(

Hopefully the Czechs can still do well in their own country. But this stupid mild winter in Europe is so mild that even in Tabor it isn't freezing during the day, according to the weather forecasts. It's still snowing and freezing in the night, but the day temperature is above 0; so I guess it will still be quite hard as in difficult but it won't be hard as in a hard frozen surface during the elite race, which would be good for Mathieu and the Czechs. :p

Echoes said:
Happy day for both of us, Marty. :p

Indeed! :p

Impressive ride by Mathieu. Seems like he's in the best form of the season at the right time.

But I have a gut feeling that the old fox Nys will pull it off next week. Most years the pressure is on him to become WC, this year there clearly isn't, and I think he has been hiding himself a bit.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Craziest start of all cx races I've watched, Meeusen really is a madman at times. Van der Poel really is the big favorite for the kind of race Tabor is going to be, but a Belgian team working closely together should be worth something too. Not so certain of the choice for Rob Peeters in the Belgian team, I somehow feel like Merlier and Adams can be more important (although Peeters is always good in the first third of a race and could help there).

Well, Worlds should be interesting. I think this is Kevin Pauwels' best chance in a long time, maybe ever. Will he work for a young kid like Van Aert?

I doubt Nys has the strength to do anything here, unfortunately, but as a Nys fan, I am keeping hope alive.

On the other hand, will Van der Haar work for Vanderpoel? This seems to be clearly a Belgian-Dutch war. I don't see any other nation offering a challenge, barring some stunning performance from Mourey or Walsleben.

Tabor this morning. Perfect for Nys. Hopefully it stays like this.

454857233.jpg

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
On the other hand, will Van der Haar work for Vanderpoel? This seems to be clearly a Belgian-Dutch war. I don't see any other nation offering a challenge, barring some stunning performance from Mourey or Walsleben.

I'd love it if Wally win for once, but all the guys in the German team are guys that you only see in the first two laps before they start to fade.

Bina should be good in the snow, I expect a top ten from him

I think Lars or Klaas will win, as an upset.
Then again I'm not wise as to the strengths of each rider on particular surfaces, but I feel that the Dutch and Belgian big name riders will cancel each other out, allowing Klaas/Lars to get away from the likes of VdPoel, Aert, Nys, Pauwels.

greenedge said:
I think Lars or Klaas will win, as an upset.
Then again I'm not wise as to the strengths of each rider on particular surfaces, but I feel that the Dutch and Belgian big name riders will cancel each other out, allowing Klaas/Lars to get away from the likes of VdPoel, Aert, Nys, Pauwels.

Lars is a big name rider, after all he won the world cup last year and camr second in it this year behind Pauwels.

Yeah I know he's a big name rider, but no one has mentioned him in the recent previews of the race and he has not performed that well as of late, compared to the likes of Aert and Poel. To phrase better I should have said as darkhorses, who can benefit from a tactical race.

Can't believe no one has posted about the races today. The women's race was terrific. Really could have been any one of 5 riders winning going into the final lap. I feel bad for Lechner going down on that first turn. Even having to go through the entire field she was putting in the fastest lap times in the middle of the race. Prevot definitely deserved the win. She was the most aggressive rider in the race. I thought she might pay for trying to get away so many times but she was the strongest rider out there without a doubt. Such a cutie, too!

Terrific battle for the final two medals in the juniors. That last lap was great. A shame Hecht lost his chain when they hit the pavement.

Do yourself a favor and watch the full replays on the ucichannel on youtube.

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
The women's race today was fantastic....didn't think Ferrand-Prevot had a win in her for this race.

Felt for Cant though....would have loved to see her take the win.

Good day for the British....Harris,Wyman 7th with Amira Mellor,just 17 years old finishing in 28th.

Women's race was epic, great battle, the conditions just tricky enough for people to come unstuck enough to keep it close (PFP falling while leading allowing Cant to get back to her, for example) while Nash's gamble on not changing bikes on the last lap when Vos and Harris did cost her in the end, with the two falls.

If PFP can continue this kind of racing, Vos is not going to have it all her own way in any of the disciplines so much anymore - since they're teammates it could get interesting. Ferrand-Pr?vot lost the Giro to Vos on bonus seconds last year, and that after riding (too) defensively (along with Anna vdB) to protect Vos from Abbott on the final climb when she was stronger.

Certainly the women's racing has taken a big step forward this year in terms of competitiveness. There was a while when every race was "Vos -> huge gap -> Daphny vdB -> huge gap -> fight for 3rd"... races like this are a sure fire way to get people interested, and it's a shame the audience reach is comparatively small.