• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Racist: misquote

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Re racist allegation

Cav did not say "***".

He said "arsehole".

He's British.

An "***"" is another name for a donkey.

Also, I believe the preferred spelling of "arsy" (meaning "stroppy") is "arsey"

Even when this site was based in Aus they would have used the proper English

Ta

P

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
cnmerlin said:
Re racist allegation

Cav did not say "***".

He said "arsehole".

He's British.

Ta

P

Let me guess...you're a Pom....not being racist or anything;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
cnmerlin said:
Re racist allegation

Cav did not say "***".

He said "arsehole".

He's British.

Ta

P

Arsey also means, cheeky or lucky...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
There is a very subtle difference between **** and ***.

**** has a rounder, moister, more rascally sound to it suggesting a similar nature to the person there described. It can also be effectively used as an exclamation of disappointment.

*** is more nasal sounding, a more linear and a shorter sounding word suggesting a type A personality.

The short harsh sounds of the word "***" are, when the word is properly used, more reflective of a person who takes little pleasure in anything, while the more protracted sound of "****" suggests that the person is more of a sensualist.

Compare with the German word "Arschloch", which has similar connotations to "****".

The two words are very different, and should really be considered separately. Culturally speaking I dislike "***", but sometimes it is the correct word. In Dickens' Oliver Twist, for example, when Bumble (I think) is talking about the pedantic understanding the place of the wife by the Law, he says that "...the law is a ***—a idiot."

A comparison:
The concept of the "Idiot" is the concept of one of no redemption, a willfully stupid individual who knows no better and does not care to. In the Irish culture, the "Eejit" (also spelt "edjit") is considered to be the Hiberno-English equivalent or translation, used primarily in the local dialect of English, and subsequently subsumed into modern Gaelic. Similarly, it refers to someone who may have behaved in a stupid unknowing manner. However "Eejit" can be applied with an affection for someone, and to all intents and purposes it is not a willful foolishness.

In this, these words are similarly to "***" and "****".

Does this clarify?

EDIT: Ah, just seen the censoring. ****.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
cnmerlin said:
Re racist allegation

Cav did not say "***".

He said "arsehole".

He's British.

Ta

P

The only person that would try to claim that "***" and "arsehole" mean 2 different things would be a lawyer in court! Just because they are said with a different accent doesn't make them different!

Bluebeard said:
There is a very subtle difference between **** and ***.

**** has a rounder, moister, more rascally sound to it suggesting a similar nature to the person there described. It can also be effectively used as an exclamation of disappointment.

*** is more nasal sounding, a more linear and a shorter sounding word suggesting a type A personality.

The short harsh sounds of the word "***" are, when the word is properly used, more reflective of a person who takes little pleasure in anything, while the more protracted sound of "****" suggests that the person is more of a sensualist.

Compare with the German word "Arschloch", which has similar connotations to "****".

The two words are very different, and should really be considered separately. Culturally speaking I dislike "***", but sometimes it is the correct word. In Dickens' Oliver Twist, for example, when Bumble (I think) is talking about the pedantic understanding the place of the wife by the Law, he says that "...the law is a ***—a idiot."

A comparison:
The concept of the "Idiot" is the concept of one of no redemption, a willfully stupid individual who knows no better and does not care to. In the Irish culture, the "Eejit" (also spelt "edjit") is considered to be the Hiberno-English equivalent or translation, used primarily in the local dialect of English, and subsequently subsumed into modern Gaelic. Similarly, it refers to someone who may have behaved in a stupid unknowing manner. However "Eejit" can be applied with an affection for someone, and to all intents and purposes it is not a willful foolishness.

In this, these words are similarly to "***" and "****".

Does this clarify?

EDIT: Ah, just seen the censoring. ****.

334u4q9.jpg

Actually, I really did like it. Interesting post. (Unlike this one :eek:)

May 7, 2009
Visit site
One thing that should be noted about that article:

French is a nationality, not a race.
Reminds me of a comment in the South Park movie if anyone has seen that...

A

Anonymous

Deagol said:
One thing that should be noted about that article:

French is a nationality, not a race.
Reminds me of a comment in the South Park movie if anyone has seen that...

I was just about to post that exact thing. French as a race? Velonews wrote a story on it with "Racist" in the title. Journalism is taking a nose dive as any reporter worthy of being called a "journalist" would never make a mistake like that. Then again, the writer was Andrew Hood, and if there was ever a fish hack, it is he. If anything, Cav is xenophobic. I am guessing however that he quipped something that was in jest and not truly xenophobic. People are too freaking sensitive.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
L'Equipe

Has anyone seen the actual French newspaper article that this is all derived from? I didn't find it on Google news (not that I could read it in French), just a lot of references to it. It would be nice to see the source of all the controversey firsthand... I am guessing it uses the word "racist" or something that (rightly or wrongly) translates to "racist."

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I was just about to post that exact thing. French as a race? Velonews wrote a story on it with "Racist" in the title. Journalism is taking a nose dive as any reporter worthy of being called a "journalist" would never make a mistake like that. Then again, the writer was Andrew Hood, and if there was ever a fish hack, it is he. If anything, Cav is xenophobic. I am guessing however that he quipped something that was in jest and not truly xenophobic. People are too freaking sensitive.

TFF,

I am glad I am not the only one who noticed that. Seems like Sketchy journalism like this may promote genuine ignorance to undiscerning readers if perpetuated long enough.
In the South Park Movie, a very xenophobic lady from USA made a nasty comment about Canadians during a talk-show/interview. The Canadian on the other end called her a “racist” in response. Great satire if it suits your taste……

A

Anonymous

gwessel2 said:
Does the name of L Equipe magazine mean National Enquirer or Tabloid Crap in English?

I am not sure it was L Equipe that called it "racist." The French rider did, and so did Velonews. Does the name "Velonews" mean National Enquirer or Chamois Sniffing Fanboys in English?

A

Anonymous

hfer07 said:
but I always thought that racism refers to "skin color"................
I guess even cycling cannot escape from Ignorant journalism!!:mad:

No, "race" is actually a sociological construct. We are all one race in reality, the human race. See, people who have differences in characteristics still share the same exact DNA structure; it is merely the differing combination of nucleotides that cause outer differences. See, skin color may be a characteristic of a given group, but sociologically we differentiate based upon that because of constructs generated not by biology, but by the human tendency to form prejudices. (prejudices in this case are "biological" based upon the fact that they are just a chemical reaction. However, the reactions are voluntary and not inherent.)

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
thoughts for food

Has everybody got mouse in their hair? Whatever kind of hole,rabbit,moose,skunk,sister,w or wo r *** type hole.It is not racial.We are coming up with things about race because the directors have one less ball than Lance.They should have told these bags of **** to race.They should have offered extra food,water bottles,teddy bears and race radios to anybody that needed comfort.Then they should have for the rest of the tour offer a time bonus sprint 3 places deep(30sec 1stpl 20sec 2nd 5 for 3rd) to inspire these girls to get off of their yoga mat and punish each other like I have come to love.I want the race to be so fast that guys start crying while in a single file line.Enough with the tension in the tour bus.Race.Cav has single handedly hurt people mentally and physically he should be proud

TRENDING THREADS