• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

I'm pleasantly surprised at the vast amount of attention given to this case in some countries. It's all but forgotten in the Netherlands and we've had exactly one interview with an "expert of cycling" Mart Smeets who is the Dutch Ligget and was only talking about HE was hurt and about HE couldn't know and about NOBODY knew. That was it.

Good program, I like 5live, often listen to it for Formula 1 practise as well.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Just a shame it was hosted by Mark Chapman who knows absolutely nada about cycling

To be fair, Chapman had Jeremy Whittle in the studio, with contributions from Hamilton, Emma O'Reilly, Ashenden, Richard Pound, David Millar, Bassons and Nick de Canio.

Programmes like this always work best with a professional broadcaster coordinating the efforts of expert contributors.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
No one in the Beeb knows much about cycling.

They did wheel out Cav to do punditry on the track at the Olympics, albeit opposite a chap you usually does F1 and used to present Blue Peter (a kiddies program, in case anyone didn't know)

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Wallace and Gromit said:
To be fair, Chapman had Jeremy Whittle in the studio, with contributions from Hamilton, Emma O'Reilly, Ashenden, Richard Pound, David Millar, Bassons and Nick de Canio.

Programmes like this always work best with a professional broadcaster coordinating the efforts of expert contributors.

I just intensely dislike Mark Chapman. Don't judge me

Benotti69 said:
No one in the Beeb knows much about cycling.

You really are a glass completely empty, guy.

Was a good, in depth show, not just about LA, even though they labelled him a sociopath.
Laid into Verduggen and co.

Plenty from your prophet Ashenden.

Even talked about "people pretending to be clean when they're not"...

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Just a shame it was hosted by Mark Chapman who knows absolutely nada about cycling

Nonetheless, he had clearly done his homework and was not out of his depth in any manner.

These types of programs are just nail after nail into the LA coffin.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I was being facetious about Chapman.

Despite what people say about the British public's interest in cycling, and so the lack of coverage in the mainstream media, Lance is front page news here. I said the British media would go after this and already questions are being directed at Sky. The stark and extreme nature of Lance's cheating, not just the extent of it but his bullying nature, have been a huge talking point. I have read his demeanour and behaviour compared to the mafia the way he has gone after whistle blowers. I have also heard him described as a psychopath. The article I read today said like all bullys he is a coward, because he chose not to defend against the USADA charges.

And they will go after Brailsford too. Barry being one of the 11, Rogers being named by LL, Leinders, Yates, it is all being talked about in the press and Sky will have difficult questions to answer. Their zero-tolerance edict is exposed as a sham, whether it be through stupity and ignorance or more duplicitous means is yet to be decided.

And yes, the British media is a long way from accusing Brailsford and Wiggins of cheating, because that taints British cycling deeply, but they will ask the right questions, and unless those questions are answered thoroughly they will continue. If there is something happening at Sky I do think it will exposed.

That said I don't believe Sky were doing anything like USPS. Rogers has a lot of questions marks, and I'm not certain of Froome, but until I get starker evidence I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
When I heard 5 live were doing this program I feared the worst - thought it would be a case of evil foreigners - sky and wiggo rule type of affair. Turns out it was an excellent program

First half with an introduction to the Tyler and Emma stuff that most on here are very familiar with but the last half hour was really good with Ashenden and Pound laying into the UCI and other sports for their double standards.

OK Saint Dave was a bit sanctimonius but it was balanced by Whittle questioning whether you can believe in Vaughters and Millar.