• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Radio Boycott of Het Nieuwsblad

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
This is pretty funny. :)

My personal opinion---I think no radios would be great...somehow in the 'old days' messages seemed to be conveyed to the riders, and I really think the riders had to be sharp and pay attention and think for themselves.

That is not so true, actually in the old days you saw a lot of back and forth between the riders and the cars of their DS, a significant part to discuss and not to get bottles, DS driving right up in the bunch to discuss etc.... This seems to me more dangerous than communicating on the radio. In my opinion radio or not does not change the world... Most vocal in favor of the ban seem to be the frenchies, no GC guys, no major sprinters, a lo of run and gun type of pros who prefer a not so well informed bunch to increase their chances to get through. But in the end, this rarely happens, if the bunch wants to catch them, it will get them (stage profile allowing of course).

So they want their radios, they should have them, technology moves on...

Pat

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
BroDeal said:
What the UCI should do is tell the teams that they can use radios if they want to, but no points will be awarded to a member of a team that uses radios. When a team's ProTour license comes up for renewal and they are not one of the top eighteen teams...well, there are lots of teams that want ProTour status.

Let's do the same for doping. You can dope, you just don't get points.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yes, because without the communications they would not have known Pedro fell so soon, and he would probably be dead right now

I find it hard to believe that Jos couldn't wave down a team car which would of taken maybe an extra minute to get an ambulance. It's unlikely that the radio made a difference.

I'm glad it is being sorted out now with race organisers.