• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Radio Boycott of Het Nieuwsblad

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
il_fiammingo said:
Teams and riders want to keep the transmitters for safety reasons. UCI wants to ban them to have more attractive racing.

So why can't UCI set up it's own communication channel to warn the riders about speed bumps and other road related issues?

By doing so, the team wouldn't need the transmitters anymore, except for tactical reasons then. But they already stated tactics are not the main reason to keep the earpieces.
Exactly. The riders are lying, saying they feel vulnerable when really its just laziness. Theyve got into the habit of being dependent and now when someone wants to force them to do the mental work of cycling for themselves they start throwing toys of the cot.:D
I believe theres a 4 letter acronym for this?

I'm really angry that once again the sport is not dealing with its issues in a decent, grown-up manner.

Now in order to decide if I should bother whether or not to set off to Brakel, I'm going to have to be glued to the web tomorrow morning to find out which if any of Fat Pat McQaeda or the peloton is going to back down at the eleventh hour.

This should have been aired, discussed and agreed in a mature and open way in the off-season.

I'm completely fine with sit-ins that occur because of a new situation arising, like with Horrillo and the various drugs raids over the years, but this issue has been out there long enough. Refusal to acknowledge. Silence. Inertia. Like a dysfunctional relationship.

So, to all you cretins out there who hide behind your acronyms and your flasks of lightly fizzy mineral water and your bone-inlaid walnut desks, SORT IT OUT in an orderly fashion and don't damage the races! :mad:

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
So, If they start the race with radios the UCI pulls the plug eh.. Interesting angle for the sponsors to grab hold of.. where does that leave them?
Typical "do as I say" attitude from the UCI who have, in my eyes, been trying in vain to court power through stupid doctorine. when in recent times they've ebbed away credibility..
Shame the riders don't get "Major Cancellara" to voice up for them.. hahahahaha..

I'm in favour of radios btw..

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
What does it matter if the UCI says the results are "null and void"? Sure, the winner doesn't get any UCI points, but he still wins the race.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
goggalor said:
What does it matter if the UCI says the results are "null and void"? Sure, the winner doesn't get any UCI points, but he still wins the race.

UCI points = chance to get license and enter races = (almost) everything

joy118118 said:
How about UCI says the winner is only the first one to the line who doesnt use radios?

i thought that'd be good at first, but on second thoughts it's still gonna mess with the race. riders without radios will look at what riders with radios are doing and copy them or figure things out and ride accordingly.

Finbouy said:
So, If they start the race with radios the UCI pulls the plug eh.. Interesting angle for the sponsors to grab hold of.. where does that leave them?
Typical "do as I say" attitude from the UCI who have, in my eyes, been trying in vain to court power through stupid doctorine. when in recent times they've ebbed away credibility..
Shame the riders don't get "Major Cancellara" to voice up for them.. hahahahaha..

I'm in favour of radios btw..

Yeah, because the riders are being so much more flexible than the UCI. They need to offer a compromise before you can start painting the UCI as the only problem in this picture.

And i think when you mention Cancellara...yeah, exactly, in that situation one rider and team bent the entire peleton and race organisers to their will, after which they copped it for interfering. And here again we have people with vested interests pushing for what they want...and you're just gonna give it to them? Cmon.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Dewulf said:
i thought that'd be good at first, but on second thoughts it's still gonna mess with the race. riders without radios will look at what riders with radios are doing and copy them or figure things out and ride accordingly.

I am just kidding. On the other side, if UCI is serious enough, why not allow riders with radios starting racing. just like helmets. NO RACING for them. teams are able to not care about Mallorca, Het Volk, KBK. Can they afford not take part in RVV, PR, le Tour?

Cancelling Het Volk only makes sponsors not happy. nonsense.

A

Anonymous

While i would like to see radios go, with the exception of a neutral service radio and a way of riders informing team cars of punctures etc, the current argument seems to be about the lack of say the riders and ds's have in decisions made by the UCI.

Im willing to support the riders on this one against the UCI, on the condition that a) all the teams stick together and b) once theyve done fighting the uci on radios they carry on and fight the uci on everything.

this isnt really a pro/anti radio debate. its more about should riders be able to have a say in how the sport is run/how decisions are made.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Christian said:
rabobank are the bgigest actors and frauds in the current peloton and they are now exposing themselves for who they are. can't believe that team has any fans

Im a Rabo fan and wouldnt mind any critics from every team except for Leopard Trek.. Im honestly astonished :D..

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I hate when the crash of Pedro Horrillo is taken as an argument in defence of the radios because imo if the radios were so useful he should have never fallen into that ravine.

No-one comes out of this with much credit.

The UCI's new rules are untenable (the purity of racing makes it important that radio use is eschewed, apart from in the most important races); the teams' protest is not one they will be able to maintain across many races, so they only harm the organisers and spectators for this event.

Have the riders presented a manifesto of what their issues are, other than saying "it's not all about radios"? If not, how can they expect conversation about their agenda.

auscyclefan94 said:
So I pose this question to you all, are the radios to help rescue someone or for communication between race director and riders about about corners and tatics on the roads?

Did communicating with the radio that Pedro had fell down the rivine significantly change what injuries he would of occured or dramitically changed how much time it would of taken to get a rescue party to him? I don't think it would of been that significant.
Yes, because without the communications they would not have known Pedro fell so soon, and he would probably be dead right now

I think the riders are only saying what the DS wants them to say. As one earlier post stated, previous poll showed riders 50/50 on the subject of radios. The safety reason just doesn't fly. How many motos are on the course? You can't get a view of the race without seeing one. They can do the communications through a central dispatcher for a neutral radio to warn of any danger.
The Pedro Horillo example. Were their absolutely no motos or official vehicles behind last rider that would not see Horillo? I'm sure there was.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yes, because without the communications they would not have known Pedro fell so soon, and he would probably be dead right now

How much time would not having the radios have added?

The reason I ask is I read that it took rescuers something like 15 minutes to find him and 45 minutes to get him out of the ravine once they got there. If we're talking about an additional minute or two due to the radios, it may be tough to say that the time saved was critical.

It might have been key... I don't really know.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
None can say that the radio wasnt important in that case, but if they want it for safety reasons get the channel where everyone can listen and no comms between riders and DS's.

Maybe the riders just want to have a nice chatter with the DS, seeing if you are sitting on your bike for 6 hours straight you must be a chatter otherwise you'd no way hold out. ;)

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
If the race is de-classified its the UCI's loss. Cycle racing will carry on regardless of such people.

Another governing body can be put in place to run this sport properly, and I dont think thats such an unlikely idea. And I'm thinking the more null and void races the better for the future of the sport because other people will come in and do a better job for those races. :)

May 15, 2009
Visit site
sublimit said:
If the race is de-classified its the UCI's loss. Cycle racing will carry on regardless of such people.

Another governing body can be put in place to run this sport properly, and I dont think thats such an unlikely idea. And I'm thinking the more null and void races the better for the future of the sport because other people will come in and do a better job for those races. :)

your avatar.....:eek:

TRENDING THREADS