• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Radio Shack" No More

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

180mmCrank said:
I presume they have moved on a bit from when we had one of these at school...

trs80-i.jpg

Radio Shack TRS-80 (Model I)

Catalog: 26-1001
Released: August 1977
Price: US $599.95 (with monitor)
How Many: 200,000 (1977-1981)
CPU: Zilog Z-80A, 1.77 MHz
RAM: 4K, 16K max*
Ports: Cassette I/O, video,
Expansion connector*
Display: 12-inch monochrome monitor
64 X 16 text
Expansion: External Expansion Interface*
Storage: Cassette storage*
* Additional capabilties with Expansion Interface

Flippin' SWEET is what that is! I remember programing in Basic on one of these. I think I could get my name to scroll across the screen or something.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Flippin' SWEET is what that is! I remember programing in Basic on one of these. I think I could get my name to scroll across the screen or something.

Just TTF, or Thoughtforfood entirely? ;)

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
The US Postal Service ran in the red (in fact still does), and did not find it difficult to fund a world class cycling team. Don't confuse budgets with profits. Even a downward trending corporation has money to allocate for promotional purposes. USPS saw a direct benefit from it's involvement in cycling. It's not a stretch to believe that Radio Shack will as well.

I like that tattoo, but as you get older less and less people will get to see it in a race:p

May 5, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Wow! When did this happen? Thanks for posting!...

Heh heh! That's funny! Especially since a certain Twitter persona - @THE_REAL_SHAQ - could now claim the team is named after him! Team The Shaq!

I just twittered him:

@THE_REAL_SHAQ You just got your own cycling team! http://bit.ly/1bJXpm

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
This could turn into a major public relations disaster:

I can see the derivations: The Shack House, the shackery, getting shacked, shacking out, shacked-up.

What are they thinking?

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
The new name does raise a million funny spin offs----which may be the idea behind the re-branding.

Its a big company.
It has spent probably over 30 million in preparing the re-branding:

New cycling team, budget 12-15 million minimum.
New ad campaign: several million
Changing the name of every ad, in store, out of store marketting: ????

But it should give the cycling commentators a lot to work with:

shack
B-52s can expect a bounce: Love Shack, little love shack
Shaq
shag--as in Austin Powers
shagged--as in Aussie Brit for tired
etc etc etc

should be fun, probably the idea behind the brand
fun instead of whatever folks think when they hear Radio Shack--- battery replacement center, do-it-yourself short wave radio kits for 12 year olds with no social skills, etc etc

I don't work for CN - a few posters myself included - have some moderator priviledges. You can see the names of the other moderators on the front page of the Forum - Forum Leaders

I try not to get overwhelmed with the feelings of immense power :)

Terry

May 5, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
A few posters myself included - have some moderator priviledges... Terry

Ok, I'm jealous! I won't feel insulted if you choose not to answer, but, how do you get to be a forum leader? I don't know if I'd take the job, but that's a pretty awesome responsibility there! You know, with us rabid forum posters and all! :)

manolo said:
Ok, I'm jealous! I won't feel insulted if you choose not to answer, but, how do you get to be a forum leader? I don't know if I'd take the job, but that's a pretty awesome responsibility there! You know, with us rabid forum posters and all! :)

Last comment on this because I don't want to hi-jack the thread - because I might have to delete myself!

I got asked I said yes

I don't know the criteria but I imagine it was a combination of timezone coverage, tenure on the forum and 400 boringly reasonable posts!
(Rather than my razor sharp school boy humour ;) )

I have to say it's a careful what you wish for thing... takes a lot of time. My wife thinks I'm writing a novel :)

TRENDING THREADS