• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Radioshack Fail

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wouldn't it be a re-brand, with the EU having already lost all the Tandy retailers.

Anyhow, somehow I don't see RadioShack finding much of a market in Italy or Spain.:rolleyes:

Oh and has anybody heard any rumours that Horner may be getting itchy feet?
I read it on another forum, so, it's not exactly rock solid evidence.

Mellow Velo said:
Oh and has anybody heard any rumours that Horner may be getting itchy feet?

Guys his age typically use Gold Bond Triple Medicated powder for that problem.

Horner's gonna be p!ssed if he gets left of the Tour squad this year.

The time is coming when he should probably be looking for a job as a DS or cycling commentator.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Surely you are not cynical enough to believe that the brand and products of Radio Shack are in demand in EU the same (or substantially similar) manner as Disney and McDonalds? :confused:

I really believe Radio Shack is advertising in cycling to expand their business in Europe and worldwide. They have been in business(Tandy Corp.?) for as long as I remember. I think they see the benefit of a global market. Other US companies such as CSC, GARMIN,COLOMBIA have benefited by advertising through cycling. I do not know if T-MOBILE was also a US company.
I know what you are trying to say, that Radio Shack sells junk that no one wants. Obviously they are in business to stay in business.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
I think the corporation Radio Shack is intending to open up a European market. You can poo-pah that rational but check out Disneyland in France. Mc Donalds also.

So without a single store in Europe, they sponsor a .... bicycle racing team... to do what?? To raise demand for a store to open in your town? Silly thinking. If they were launching a presence in Europe with say, 100 stores, you at least have some rationale. According to the article, they don't have ANY stores.

Does ag2r sponsor sports teams here to promote retirement accounts that aren't sold here because they may eventually expand into the US?

Disneyland and mcdonald's are in france, they aren't advertising in advance of their facilities ever opening.

flicker said:
I think the corporation Radio Shack is intending to open up a European market. You can poo-pah that rational but check out Disneyland in France. Mc Donalds also.

Disneyland in France? Huh? There's one. EuroDisney and its an hour from Paris. That’s hardly expansion into Europe!

So do you really think Radioshack going to open 10,000 stores in Europe this year? I mean in a world of iPod’s, iPhones, blu-ray DVD players, internet downloads etc. when Euro kids think the latest technology they always associate an antiquated name like “radio” with the latest technology. Are you kidding me? I mean you can’t buy electronics in Europe so they’re crying out for a new electronic store.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:

You do realise it took years for Disneyland to break even each year, I know for sure that when Disneyland Paris was open for 10 years they were still posting losses. I think this is mainly the reason that not more Disneylands were opened in Europe.

Mc Donalds is a bit of a strange one, although again this took years before they were any real fixture.

Also both offer something else than a general electronics store, both Disneyland and McD offered something different than what was already there, something new without real competition at the time (except Disneyland, which was one of the reasons it was posting losses) Radioshack would not offer anything new, so to invest in a European market at this economic time would probably be a folly for the corporation

But anyway, it is a loss for the sport, any sponsor loss is, and it is a huge snub for the sport, if you have no intention to remain as a sponsor, why start with an entirely new team. But mostly it shows the idiocy that was making Radioshack a protour team, no team should be a protour team in their first year.

flicker said:
I really believe Radio Shack is advertising in cycling to expand their business in Europe and worldwide. They have been in business(Tandy Corp.?) for as long as I remember. I think they see the benefit of a global market. Other US companies such as CSC, GARMIN,COLOMBIA have benefited by advertising through cycling. I do not know if T-MOBILE was also a US company.
I know what you are trying to say, that Radio Shack sells junk that no one wants. Obviously they are in business to stay in business.

T-Mobile a US company? It is German and they came the US and took over the market.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone have any information on RS's online sales? Does it make up any significant portion of their business? Do they have any overseas sales or is it all to their US domestic market?

kurtinsc said:
Does anyone have any information on RS's online sales? Does it make up any significant portion of their business? Do they have any overseas sales or is it all to their US domestic market?

You guys are reaching.

Why would anyone want to order electronic items from the US? You know they have electronic stores in the Europe and when you buy your goods at a store in Europe the item comes in the local language. You’ll also get the sales support in-country. What makes you think anyone would order from the US?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
You all are probably right and once again me wrong. But answer me this? Why is Radio Shack plastering their adds with the anti-christ all over the media. Why are people still shopping at the Shack and why are their stores still open. How did that other dumkoff Bob Stapleton make 10 billion selling that T something to the Germans? I just do not understand.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
You do realise it took years for Disneyland to break even each year, I know for sure that when Disneyland Paris was open for 10 years they were still posting losses. I think this is mainly the reason that not more Disneylands were opened in Europe.

Mc Donalds is a bit of a strange one, although again this took years before they were any real fixture.

Also both offer something else than a general electronics store, both Disneyland and McD offered something different than what was already there, something new without real competition at the time (except Disneyland, which was one of the reasons it was posting losses) Radioshack would not offer anything new, so to invest in a European market at this economic time would probably be a folly for the corporation

But anyway, it is a loss for the sport, any sponsor loss is, and it is a huge snub for the sport, if you have no intention to remain as a sponsor, why start with an entirely new team. But mostly it shows the idiocy that was making Radioshack a protour team, no team should be a protour team in their first year.

Agreed for the most part. Especially to the last paragraph.

I'll add Disney and McD are huge brands worldwide. RS....uhhhh... not...so...much...

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
You guys are reaching.

Why would anyone want to order electronic items from the US? You know they have electronic stores in the Europe and when you buy your goods at a store in Europe the item comes in the local language. You’ll also get the sales support in-country. What makes you think anyone would order from the US?

I was just asking a question out of ignorance. Can I assume the answer is that there is none?

If so... then I tend to agree with the consensus that there is little to be gained from advertising in the european market... and that the increase in the price of their stock is mostly unrelated to any advertising benefit from the cycling team.

Unless there has bee a significant increase in viewership in european cycling events where RS has been present this year.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
You all are probably right and once again me wrong. But answer me this? Why is Radio Shack plastering their adds with the anti-christ all over the media. Why are people still shopping at the Shack and why are their stores still open. How did that other dumkoff Bob Stapleton make 10 billion selling that T something to the Germans? I just do not understand.

Your questions are reasonable. At least the first two. I can tell you that when it comes to marketing, it's more art than science. A LOT more. These execs know about as much about how to spend their budget as you and I do. I am NOT exaggerating. Their stores are open if they can turn a profit. Sooner or later we all need some connector or cable that only they sell.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Are you kidding?

hammt34 said:
Well i started a thread called Radioshack Powerhouse and asked what would warrant RS a failed season and General consensus Was no TOC win. So if bottle cant take 26 seconds from MickR and RS cant even win The TOC with a "stacked" team do they really think they can contest the Tdf where there will be real time trials and real Mountain top finishes and Real Pro teams Please enlighten me on what you all think of the season thus far for this sad excuse of a "powerhouse team".

Are you serious? Why don't you do something useful and create a spreadsheet of the Protour teams and compare results. Then I might give your position some attention. Until then, I must assume you are merely part of the fashionable crowd on this forum who simply enjoy beating up on Lance and whatever he may be associated with.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Dunedain said:

Are you serious? Why don't you do something useful and create a spreadsheet of the Protour teams and compare results. Then I might give your position some attention. Until then, I must assume you are merely part of the fashionable crowd on this forum who simply enjoy beating up on Lance and whatever he may be associated with.

You do realise that not all wins and results are equal right, for the sponsors certain results matter more than others and sometimes the result doesn't even matter for the sponsor as long as the press is positive. (One of the main reasons why Rabobank always seems satisfied and willing to remain a sponsor, even if the results aren't really that good, As long as Rabobank is a sponsor at least once a week they'll be featured in the media, no matter what the result is)

For Radioshack as a sponsor the ToC and the TdF are the most important races, the other races are useless as it would not register with their intended public. Radioshack couldn't care less about the exploits of Brajkovic

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Dunedain said:

Dauphine-good.
Stated goals: Tour, eh? Tour of Cal-no muy bueno.
Classics: Lookstrong is not the same as Realstrong.

Reality is only several weeks away so we can all just stew in our prejudicial juices for awhile.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
Dauphine-good.
Stated goals: Tour, eh? Tour of Cal-no muy bueno.
Classics: Lookstrong is not the same as Realstrong.

Reality is only several weeks away so we can all just stew in our prejudicial juices for awhile.

12 Days ..... nope wait ..... 11 Days and what? about 14+/- hours or so?

nahhh...I'm not really looking fwrd to it....;)

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't live in the States but I would imagine whatever Armstrong/The Shack does in the TDF it will be well publicised in the US.

The Shack team want -

1) Conty to have a bad day on a mountain stage
2) Conty to crash in the cobbles
3) To beat the Shlecks in a TT
4) If LA is weak, get Klody/Liepheimer/Brakovic to win

I can see The Shack team 'stacking' the top ten.

I think for the viewing public, to have Brakovic or Sycmd to win would be best.

After the Tour LA should try to win the Vuelta and World Champs or Lombardy, bow out and run the Shack and mentor Brakovic. I think he will try to buy one of the Shlecks, they need better tactical advice. It's great they race together, but they need the LA/Conty/De Luca killer instinct to win.

Nick

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ScotsBiker said:
I don't live in the States but I would imagine whatever Armstrong/The Shack does in the TDF it will be well publicised in the US.

The Shack team want -

1) Conty to have a bad day on a mountain stage
2) Conty to crash in the cobbles
3) To beat the Shlecks in a TT
4) If LA is weak, get Klody/Liepheimer/Brakovic to win

I can see The Shack team 'stacking' the top ten.

I think for the viewing public, to have Brakovic or Sycmd to win would be best.

After the Tour LA should try to win the Vuelta and World Champs or Lombardy, bow out and run the Shack and mentor Brakovic. I think he will try to buy one of the Shlecks, they need better tactical advice. It's great they race together, but they need the LA/Conty/De Luca killer instinct to win.

Nick

Kloden and Brakovich look good but are a long way from running a team. LA won't mentor anyone soon or step gracefully out of the way. They are likely to have a pesky legal matter to divert their attention as well.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
Kloden and Brakovich look good but are a long way from running a team. LA won't mentor anyone soon or step gracefully out of the way. They are likely to have a pesky legal matter to divert their attention as well.

Brakovic to be the top guy, due to fitness, LA or Levi guiding/mentoring him.

I think possibly Cadel Evans maybe has Hincapie guiding him tactically this season ?

Nick

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
ScotsBiker said:
Brakovic to be the top guy, due to fitness, LA or Levi guiding/mentoring him.

I think possibly Cadel Evans maybe has Hincapie guiding him tactically this season ?

Nick

I do not think smiling George a good mentor for a GT talent like Cadel.

TRENDING THREADS