• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

RadioShack gets ProTour license

What's the source of this article? The UCI website is silent. Cyclingnews has run with a couple of items on transfers that haven't borne out (specifically Kloden to Shack), so I'm curious.... Ultimately I fully expect UCI to give them a license, but my thinking is that CN has a source close to RadioShack/Armstrong feeding them this stuff . . . sometimes prematurely.

The International Cycling Union said on Friday that it has granted Team RadioShack a license to compete in ProTour races for the 2010-13 seasons. The team still needs an invitation to race in next year's Tour de France and Giro d'Italia.

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
A four year spot for a team with a two year sponsor contract and hardly any current racers who will last four more years? No favoritism here!

Well the team is obviously run by very credible and experienced people within the sport. They must have given the UCI long term assurances about their intentions for the team.

Sprocket01 said:
Well the team is obviously run by very credible and experienced people within the sport. They must have given the UCI long term assurances about their intentions for the team.

If we all learned anything this year, neither contracts nor assurances guarantee anything. RadioShack could bow out after the 2010 season.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
it's not all rosy yet

here is the dim view of the uphill that the shack may still face:

german justice system opens new investigation into freibburg blood doping by kloeden
investigation of the medical disposal bins uncovers new compromising evidence

retroactive testing of the 2009 tour samples send several riders packing
Bru retires next year as he hinted
(add your own))

Sprocket01 said:
Well you never know for sure with these things until the last minute.

Wasn't expecting four years.

You see, this is where the cynical haters prove their superiority.
I'll bet there's not one, who expected anything less and are not in the least bit surprised.
Pat and Lance have a unique relationship.
Each handshake the pair share holds a golden moment.:rolleyes:

4 years for a 2 year team, sums up the Pro Tour and it's head.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Sprocket01 said:

Like Discovery?

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
If we all learned anything this year, neither contracts nor assurances guarantee anything. RadioShack could bow out after the 2010 season.

And so could any team given a few high-profile doping positives. I'd think the UCI can withdraw the Shack's license if they don't for some reason get a sponsor.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
I am still waiting to see the full rider list for the Shack. Don't they need a few more riders to technically qualify for ProTour status? Of course they could be providing more names to the UCI then what they have announced.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Four years? I doubt they'll be around that long. Does anyone expect there to be any interest, sponsorship wise, if Lance goes away after next season or maybe '11?

Discovery did pretty well after Armstrong's departure. Won a TDF, in fact.

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I wonder how a team which hasn't taken part in any race can get a PT license (the same goes for Sky). Furthermore, I agree with those who have said that this is by no way a team for 4 seasons.

It's quite funny how in Spain the headline is "the renewal of the PT license for Radio Shack".

eleven said:
Discovery did pretty well after Armstrong's departure. Won a TDF, in fact.

Armstrong got Discovery to sign a three year deal, by guarranteeing he'd ride the whole three years.
After one year, Lance "retired", leaving Discovery with George Hincapie and a load of foreigners.

Cogombre said:
I wonder how a team which hasn't taken part in any race can get a PT license (the same goes for Sky). Furthermore, I agree with those who have said that this is by no way a team for 4 seasons.
I have to agree, seeing they withdrew two French licences, based solely upon results, over this season.
This should make ALL PT spots a one year slot, only, having set this presedence.

To McQuaid, rules are something to be freely interpretated and discarded, at will. (or when there's money to be made)

JayZee said:
I am still waiting to see the full rider list for the Shack. Don't they need a few more riders to technically qualify for ProTour status? Of course they could be providing more names to the UCI then what they have announced.

Here's the confirmed list of riders (from the front page article):

Confirmed members of the new RadioShack team are Levi Leipheimer, Sergio Paulinho, Janez Brajkovic, Chris Horner, Bjorn Selander, Sam Bewley, Markel Irizar, Jose Luis Rubiera, Daryl Impey, Ivan Rovny, Ben Hermans, Gert Steegmans, Yaroslav Popovych, and Grégory Rast

TRENDING THREADS