• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rafal Majka discussion thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
karlboss said:
I listed the 4 who if they turn up, barring disaster will almost certainly beat Majka. This then means that for Majka to get 5th he needs to beat Evans, Roche, Pozzovivo, Basso etc. Meaning 5th is optimistic in my opinion. However when setting goals for an event you have to be optimistic.

don't forget Quintana and Porte. That's like 6 already. Top 5 definitely is going to be a tough battle. Bentacour is going to the tour, so one less opponent for him. But he can do it. GO MAJKA!!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
In order.

karlboss said:
So Uran, Quintana, Porte, Rodriguez....5th seems like a solid goal.
karlboss said:
I listed the 4 who if they turn up, barring disaster will almost certainly beat Majka. This then means that for Majka to get 5th he needs to beat Evans, Roche, Pozzovivo, Basso etc. Meaning 5th is optimistic in my opinion. However when setting goals for an event you have to be optimistic.
Jelantik said:
don't forget Quintana and Porte. That's like 6 already. Top 5 definitely is going to be a tough battle. Bentacour is going to the tour, so one less opponent for him. But he can do it. GO MAJKA!!

Please keep up. :)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Can I edit out the bee part in the title? Doesn't seem to have stuck.

He's riding very well, definitely gonna improve on his 7th from last year I think.

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I really liked the way he rode today. It looked as if he could actually follow Pozzovivo's attack, but then realised he would bring Uran along, only to stop working and letting Uran do the work. And to drop Uran anyway later on. This only didn't work as well as could've been, since Poels was still around.

Dazed and Confused said:
Improving now doubt, but he looked very tired at the end (most did of course).

Will be interesting to see how he goes tomorrow.

This kid is impressing me :) Yes he was tired. In the post stage interview he said he felt 'liquid'.

But he looks like the real deal for the future and if others falter and he keeps going strong he could even win this thing!

HSNHSN said:
I really liked the way he rode today. It looked as if he could actually follow Pozzovivo's attack, but then realised he would bring Uran along, only to stop working and letting Uran do the work. And to drop Uran anyway later on. This only didn't work as well as could've been, since Poels was still around.

Personally, I think he stopped because he knew he would hit the red zone and explode if he went with Pozzo/Quintana. He, instead, rode very cleverly and found his own rythm, knowing that he could then save some ressources for a small attack in the end, which succeeded.
Kelderman did the exact opposite, which eventually led to him being overtaken by Majka/Aru in the last K (Majka not possessing a strong sprint eventually ended up in st. as Kelderman to be fair). Two young riders but with very different levels of tactical smartness. Podium is still far from certain but it looks more and more plausible for Majka!

Actually that's strange because Kelderman is usually a rider who prefers his own pace, even when he was a junior/u23 rider.

But because of his own pace, he was not far off Quintana/Pozzo and might have gotten overexcited. He never seemed to 'blow up' as you call it. Otherwise he could not have sprinted like that

045-PIC463287191.jpg

T-Nielsen said:
Someone was so kind to give Majka a nice big box of ham just before the start of a stage. He had to ask the reporter from danish TV2 if he could take it to the bus because he could not really ride with it.

Yeah. That was pretty funny.
Kinda makes you wonder why organisers think it's a good idea to hand out random stuff to the riders before a stage.

But, could've been worse. Could've been a cow.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Not with having to work for Contador and the Giro in his legs.

Kwiatkowski, Pinot, Dennis, Bardet, probably a few others, are bigger candidates for white.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
hmpower said:
Wonder how is head space is after all the dramas of not wanting to go to the tour?

I think/hope he got the frustration out of his system..

But yes, it will be interesting to have him in the Tour with all the "drama"..
Will give us a clear wiev of what he's made of...

I think he's underestimating himself, and will do fine..

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I dont think anyone expects him to do exceptionally well in Tour. He worked hard in Giro, he was supposed to ride Vuelta.

I too think that he will do fine.

form is temporary. This guy has class.

murali said:
I dont think anyone expects him to do exceptionally well in Tour. He worked hard in Giro, he was supposed to ride Vuelta.

I too think that he will do fine.

form is temporary. This guy has class.

At least he can feel good about being wanted. He is a great cyclist and one would hope he will rise to the occasion. Ironically he could be the key to a Contador win!

TRENDING THREADS