• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rafal Majka discussion thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
When he first joined Saxo he was dubbed "Polski Nastepca Contadora" in Poland mostly iirc because he was always able to stay on Alberto's wheel up the climbs at his training camp audition...

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I think Majka will make a huge jump in the coming mountain stages. He's even a serious podium candidate for me

I agree with this, the guy was already a beast in last years vuelta.

My favourite Majka moment so far is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZRSwTdm6aSs#t=4675s

The amount of dedication he showed here turned me into a fan right away. Just amazing the way he follows valverde's attack just to give Contador that last 10 meter push and then completely bonk. Pure Awesomeness.

Also i hate forced nicknames, let's call him Majka for now and eventually a nickname that really suits him will show up naturally.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
He's proving to be a great rider. Looking foreword to seeing how he handles the rest of the Giro. Great to see him living up to expectations after the series of injuries he's had in the early season and before. His battle with Betancur for white will be a highlight of this Giro I think.

As for a nickname, lets wait. Eventually a good one will present itself.
Although I do like this one.
ferryman said:
I've sort of already got him in my head as Majik:)

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Parrulo said:
I agree with this, the guy was already a beast in last years vuelta.

My favourite Majka moment so far is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZRSwTdm6aSs#t=4675s

The amount of dedication he showed here turned me into a fan right away. Just amazing the way he follows valverde's attack just to give Contador that last 10 meter push and then completely bonk. Pure Awesomeness.

Also i hate forced nicknames, let's call him Majka for now and eventually a nickname that really suits him will show up naturally.

What is in your head man? This was one of the most funny events of the vuelta. For a moment he though that had leg.. just to blow out for 5 seconds??? hahahaha

hahahah what a joke.

He is a great ride, I like him... but that moment was really funny.

Obviously he knew he didn't have the legs, or do you really think he thought he could just ride away from everyone with Contador on his wheel?

Had you paid enough attention you would noticed that he did this on all three days of the triptico of last years Vuelta, Ancares, Covadonga and Cuitu Nigru. On all three days he only pulled to the side when he could barely pedal himself and had nothing left to give.

Look on the following day to Cuitu Nigru:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iUflMxrS5Yg#t=3593s

I have nothing but admiration for someone that shows that level of dedication and commitment to his leader, particularly when that someone is as talented as Majka

I didn't really rate majka that high on those vuelta stages because everytime he popped nairo q was only just getting started and they were both superdoms and both the same age and the mighty Quinn was able to do so much more. I thought he was just going to be the next szmyd

There's no explaining awsyt Tuesday's performance though. That was insane and even if he loses half an hour on Saturday and pulls out on sunday, I'd still rate him for a high placing on any mtf over the next 2 years based on that performance.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm very impressed with majka. Rogers is 2nd place so far in in TOC and Majka holding a white jersey now. Good morale for Saxo. I hope if Majka didn't get to top 5, he can win the young rider jersey. For a young kid who just started his first GT, he is doing great so far. I'm curious how he'll be consistent for the next two stages over the weekend. But I'm pretty sure he and bentacour (sp?) will duke it out :p. it's still entertaining even if he can't match the big boys on those days.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Jelantik said:
I'm very impressed with majka. Rogers is 2nd place so far in in TOC and Majka holding a white jersey now. Good morale for Saxo. I hope if Majka didn't get to top 5, he can win the young rider jersey. For a young kid who just started his third GT, he is doing great so far. I'm curious how he'll be consistent for the next two stages over the weekend. But I'm pretty sure he and bentacour (sp?) will duke it out :p. it's still entertaining even if he can't match the big boys on those days.

Just a small thing.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I think Majka will make a huge jump in the coming mountain stages. He's even a serious podium candidate for me

I agree he will jump up in the GC. Dont think he will make podium but top 5-7 imo.

Anyways, in the long term his biggest problem will be health, especially his fragile knee (hope he doesnt end up like Breschel who was so promising on the cobbles before his knee ruined it)

Btw apparently before he signed with the team he and Juul Jensen were invited to join a training camp with the team. Juul Jensen has told that on that camp he was the only one able to follow Contador. In the end Contador dropped him but it was a struggle for him. And that was before he turned pro.

Also, about a nickname I am sure the Tifosi will come up with something catching if he continues to impress in the Giro

EDIT: if it keeps raining it might be a disadvantage for him given is, allegedly, fragile health

TRENDING THREADS