• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rafal Majka discussion thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jancouver said:
He was not participating at all the first week, then he maybe took one pull for Contador before he crashed out. Then he was sitting for 12km on Konig's wheel just to jump him for second place. Today he was holding on to the motorbike and drafting. IMHO he is a dirty selfish a-hole and he will get no love from me.

You don't feel yourself burdened by facts do you.

Czapiewski said:
Rodgers was really helping Majka, still able to win two stages for himself. I remember a few situations where the help of Roche was needed, still he made some unreasonable attacks. And Majka has never been moaning about teammates.

I am talking about you moaning not Makja :D

As I said Roche had no form n Giro but went on stage hunt as was expected of him by Irish fans.....And if you mean Rodgers sat in peloton till about 5 km to go then he helped ...

After all Roche was not the only teammate .....

Jancouver said:
He was not participating at all the first week, then he maybe took one pull for Contador before he crashed out. Then he was sitting for 12km on Konig's wheel just to jump him for second place. Today he was holding on to the motorbike and drafting. IMHO he is a dirty selfish a-hole and he will get no love from me.

If you call that 1/2 sec touch with the motorcycle "drifting", you should rewatch Simon Clarke, I believe, on stage 12 to Saint Etienne

May 28, 2014
Visit site
One additional thing - I have read before that Majka really do not like cold and rainy weather, more than most of the riders. If You look how stages won by him looked, Giro does not seem as a good option for him.

Czapiewski said:
One additional thing - I have read before that Majka really do not like cold and rainy weather, more than most of the riders. If You look how stages won by him looked, Giro does not seem as a good option for him.
He did very well in Lombardia last year, so maybe it's more the cold that is a problem than rain.

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Jancouver said:

You really believe what you say? You are like he is the new Antichrist. He was not participating, because he was told to do so to rest. Sucked some wheel? And who doesn't? And today victory? It was nothing? Oh yeah drafting! Thank god he released to moto, because he was close to win the Tour.
And the best, he will get no love from you? Do you think Majka cares? He won two stages in a classy way, I think he don't need your love.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
difdauf said:
Exactly, why shouldn't he or some other great talents ride the same way next year ? This is so boring when climbers ride after overall classification or for someone else.

Who will remember the results of Schleck, Zubeldia, Mollema, Ten Dam, Van den Broeck or Konig in this tour ? Rolland could even finish before them without trying, just with break aways.

Don't become boring Majka ! Lose 20 min and fly !

Perhaps they should fire Contador so the whole team can just chase stages. Majka, Rogers and the whole team was lucky that their captain crashed otherwise they wouldn't have the opportunity to go after stages.

Its funny like all the Majka's fans are going bananas after he won two stages from break just because the GC riders didnt care about chasing him down.

We all know the real race was happening behind him and based on his today's climbing time, he would get dropped from the leading group if he was still around.

Jancouver said:
Perhaps they should fire Contador so the whole team can just chase stages. Majka, Rogers and the whole team was lucky that their captain crashed otherwise they wouldn't have the opportunity to go after stages.

Its funny like all the Majka's fans are going bananas after he won two stages from break just because the GC riders didnt care about chasing him down.

We all know the real race was happening behind him and based on his today's climbing time, he would get dropped from the leading group if he was still around.

Where the hell did you get those parts from? Winning couple of stages is not more important than winning GC, plus Contador would probably win a couple himself. Also, it is great they have so much success despite suffering such huge blow. Chapeau to them.

And to the second part.......he had 7th climbing time among all freaking riders!! And thats after being entire day in the break, having to accelerate after Rodriguez, doing most of the climb by himself, toying with Visconti, and then celebration on the finish line....
He was less than 30 seconds behind 3rd best climber even despite all that. He could hold on to that one easily. So that leaves Nibali and Peraud. It is possible they could get away from him (Nibali surely if he really tried), but there is no way of telling at this point. Anyway, if your 'group of GC riders or 'leading goroup' contains just two guys......well, i am done talking with you

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
damian13ster said:
Where the hell did you get those parts from? Winning couple of stages is not more important than winning GC, plus Contador would probably win a couple himself. Also, it is great they have so much success despite suffering such huge blow. Chapeau to them.

And to the second part.......he had 7th climbing time among all freaking riders!! And thats after being entire day in the break, having to accelerate after Rodriguez, doing most of the climb by himself, toying with Visconti, and then celebration on the finish line....
He was less than 30 seconds behind 3rd best climber even despite all that. He could hold on to that one easily. So that leaves Nibali and Peraud. It is possible they could get away from him (Nibali surely if he really tried), but there is no way of telling at this point. Anyway, if your 'group of GC riders or 'leading goroup' contains just two guys......well, i am done talking with you

You are done talking to me? Oh please. We are not even talking. I'm just posting my opinion and to my knowledge, in those five years I have been around these forums I have never responded to any of your posts so there is no talking between the two of us.

Seems like you are new to the party, so welcome and feel free to ignore my occasional posts :cool:

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Jancouver said:
You are done talking to me? Oh please. We are not even talking. I'm just posting my opinion and to my knowledge, in those five years I have been around these forums I have never responded to any of your posts so there is no talking between the two of us.

Seems like you are new to the party, so welcome and feel free to ignore my occasional posts :cool:

You are here for five years, but you are acting like a little boy who lost his teddy bear. Tell, that you hate Tinkoff-Saxo, because reasons, or tell that you hate Majka because he sucked your heros Königs wheel, or beat your favorite Purito, or you hoped that Visconti will win. But please, don't come with this nonsense that the GC riders let him and his climbing time was worse than Nibalis. It's so childish.

I was on holiday but still found time for toughest stages on TV and I'm stunned by Majka's form :D I never thought it's possible for him to recover so well after the Giro. He's super strong - only Nibali is stronger. Generation 1990 is taking over in grand tours: Quintana, Majka, Aru, Pinot, Bardet...

alin.constantin89 said:
Yeah but he dind't prove in Giro 2 months ago...maybe he's good to take some stages but not to fight for the GC.

Oh boy, everytime you achieve something there are people bringing you down....
Its a first victory of his career, he himself admits he was full of doubts and didnt believe himself during Giro, plus a sickness and he still finished in top 6, being very close to top climbers on each MTF.

Wait with your judgement until next 2-3 GTs.

Hell, Contador didnt podium a GT until he was 25 (granted, it was for non-sport realated reasons), Froome until he was 26.

If he doesnt top 5 in GT next year I will become skeptical, but right now he appears to have huge potential and looks like future GT podium place or a win can't be ruled out

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
damian13ster said:
Oh boy, everytime you achieve something there are people bringing you down....
Its a first victory of his career, he himself admits he was full of doubts and didnt believe himself during Giro, plus a sickness and he still finished in top 6, being very close to top climbers on each MTF.

Wait with your judgement until next 2-3 GTs.

Hell, Contador didnt podium a GT until he was 25 (granted, it was for non-sport realated reasons), Froome until he was 26.

If he doesnt top 5 in GT next year I will become skeptical, but right now he appears to have huge potential and looks like future GT podium place or a win can't be ruled out

dont bother with tht chap. he doesnt understand racing.

Majka faded towards the end of Giro. he is still young. i think he will learn to make the right moves as he reaches towards 30.
Quintana was in amazing form.

I was extremely impressed by his riding today. He first went for the stage win. then he realized tht he cant do it. he only needed to get within top-6. so he happily slowed down to join the next group and rode with them till the end. also, he just ensured he finished top-3.
smart kid. extremely impressed by his ride today.

now he just needs to finish the next three stages.

King of the Mountains.

"I was feeling tired after the long breakaway yesterday and I attacked early because I wasn't feeling good. It was too early. But I'm still third at the finishing line! I waited for Pinot and two other riders [Van Garderen and Péraud]. I attacked too early and I waited too much but I'm really happy with two stage wins, twice in the top three in the mountains and the polka jersey. Now the jersey is mine. This is a big surprise for my first Tour de France. Maybe I'll win the Tour de France in the future."

Quote from Majka. It seems like his attack was just a try to minimize the losses. Seems to me he was surprised he rode off so easily and that it took so long for others to catch up. I like the newfound confidence.

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Majka was very impressive in the TDF. Aside from Nibali, he has been the best climber at the tour. He had to ride the tour at short notice and was coming back from injuries. He won the KoM jersey by getting in a few breakaways but he was also able to keep pace with basically everyone except Nibali in the third week. Is he going to win a grand tour? I don't know but there is no reason why he couldn't.

I like the fact that he went after Nibali. That was a lame move tactically regarding the KOM jersey but that style of riding, that he also showed last year in the Giro, is really entertaining and adds a new level of interest to the race. I would have been happy with Purito nailing KOM but this is also great!

Dazed and Confused said:
So Costa has recovered enough to cash in at the post tour crits?

Apparently.

And from the post-race commentaries it didnt sound like exhibition. If riders show up on the start, they want to win, but of course nobody is targeting those races.

Also, he said he expects to ride even better in the next Tour de France and will ride as a domestique there. Wonder if that means he will do Giro-Tour or Tour-Vuelta double
Overall really interesting interview. He admits of being scared of attacking before Tour, of looking back even when he felt strong, and said that now it has changed and if he feels strong he will just go for it.
Also mentions that he loved long climbs in Tour, the weather, and pretty much everything about this race. Mentions that the team didnt tell him he will ride TdF to make sure he gets some rest otherwise he would never stop trianing after Giro. Of course since thats biggest success of polish cyclist in last 2 decades, media are going overboard saying that he will be first Polish GT winner, and are asking him whether he prefers to win Giro or Vuelta. Rafal just smiled and jokingly said 'both'.

But later he said that he hasnt reached his max yet, will go on more high altitude trianing camps than he used to and with hard training he will do his best to win one for Polish supporters. He was impressed by the amount of Poles that were cheering him on in TdF.

Also, I really am dumbfounded by lack of competency among Polish journalists and so called experts when it comes to cycling.......
The head of Polish Cycling Federation claiming 2 days ago that TdP will belong to Kwiatkowski, even though a blind man could tell he was so exhausted he had no chance to compete successfuly. Of course today he drops out of the race.......

TRENDING THREADS