• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

RAI TV coverage of the Giro.

Mar 10, 2009
www.flickr.com
Over the years I think RAI coverage of bike racing is the best. They never miss an incedent, and always show slo-mo replays. The on-screen time counter at GPM's 10km and 5km points gives us accuracy on breakaways. They obtain quality close-ups of the riders.

But, I have one complaint this year ... The Stage Result top ten, and GC top ten graphic, is only on the screen for milliseconds :mad:.

It was happening again today on the TT intermediate check-point, and the TT finish times, you didn't get a chance to read the times, let alone digest the relative permutations :(.

Who ever is directing these graphics is letting down the RAI team.

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I agree that what they show is very good, but what i really don't like is what they don't show. That is, their feed breaks down much too often, especially when it's raining and/or mountain stages. They really need to step up with their technical equipment, or whatever is causing this. Especially when compared to ASO-produced TV feeds, because i've basically never seen that the picture breaks down at one of their races ... or at least they somehow manage to cover it up by switching to different cameras real fast?

That's why my TV fears the Giro, i usually end up throwing stuff at it when the feed breaks during a mountain stage :cool:

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Papparrazzi said:
Over the years I think RAI coverage of bike racing is the best.

But, I have one complaint this year ... The Stage Result top ten, and GC top ten graphic, is only on the screen for milliseconds :mad:.

couldn't agree more!

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Papparrazzi said:
Over the years I think RAI coverage of bike racing is the best. They never miss an incedent, and always show slo-mo replays. The on-screen time counter at GPM's 10km and 5km points gives us accuracy on breakaways. They obtain quality close-ups of the riders.

It was happening again today on the TT intermediate check-point, and the TT finish times, you didn't get a chance to read the times, let alone digest the relative permutations :(.

Who ever is directing these graphics is letting down the RAI team.

During the first stages of Giro there has been many complain about their graphics with names.
If I remember correctly, they write writing the names in white on a pink background line.
Finally after some days it became black on pink.

Anyway I agree, their graphic wasn't that great this year.

MadPain said:
I agree that what they show is very good, but what i really don't like is what they don't show. That is, their feed breaks down much too often, especially when it's raining and/or mountain stages. They really need to step up with their technical equipment, or whatever is causing this. Especially when compared to ASO-produced TV feeds, because i've basically never seen that the picture breaks down at one of their races ... or at least they somehow manage to cover it up by switching to different cameras real fast?

That's why my TV fears the Giro, i usually end up throwing stuff at it when the feed breaks during a mountain stage :cool:

Have you ever been on Dolomites and/or Alps in May in Italy?
Well, the weather can be pretty crap, that's why sometimes the helicopters couldn't fly around and keep the signal going.
They even have an airplane as "emergency situation" but sometimes neither that one can help if weather is really too bag.

As for ASO great production....its in July.

May 5, 2010
Visit site
@ Michele: Ah alright, if the helicopters aren't always allowed to fly then that's a reason for sure. When i said ASO, i primarily thought of Paris-Nice and the Tour. As you've said, weather's usually good in July .... but it can be really bad during Paris-Nice .... but then P-N doesn't feature that kind of mountains

La RAI - transitions

There has been a lot of internal changes in RAI Sport this Giro.

First the main commentator Auro Bulbarello has been promoted beyond the microphone - so he now manages the show. I guess his vocal exaggerations when doped de Luca did well last year might have had something to do with it. The new partner to Davide Cassani is much less emotive with his voice - even when Basso won.

The blonde roving interviewer became main pre- and post-race presenter (dressed up by BBox/B) - but Alessandra de Stefano is a phenomenal multilingual simultaneous translator (no dumb b.).

Paolo Salvoldelli joined the crew - and added immense knowledge perched on the back of a motorbike. Paolo Bettini wasn't half as good.

Still only half of Italy is on digital terrestrial TV - and the RAI is experimenting against SportItalia - the day before the Giro the digital channel RaiSportPiu was replaced by two new entities RaiSport1 and RaiSport2 - often with insufficient bandwidth to the transmitters - the main race being also shown on RAI-Tre for the non-digital people.

The Gazetta live stream was a great complement to the RAI for anyone outside of La Bel Paese - it often showed men on bikes while the RAI razzmatazz was in the studio doing nostalgia - however they were usually a minute of two behind actually being live (compared with the digital TV here in Italy)

Next year most of these transitions will be behind them.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Auro Bulbarelli got promoted so I dont think that he didn't do anything wrong, and was already often on some RaiTre news talking about sport.
Never liked him anyway and he admited in an interview that his main passion was pool.

As for Savoldelli, probably many guys in here can't notice it, but he has a very strong and funny accent which makes everything much more friendly.
Anyway yeah has to agree that he's twice better than Bettini (never liked him as well).

As a non-Italian RAI watcher, it's interesting hear what is going on behind the scenes.
Band width explains why the Rai Sport pictures weren't usually as good a Tre's.
I still can't pick up Sport 2.

I love the RAI "team". They have all become so familiar, over the past decade.

My main complaint this year would be the occasional schedule changes. Made recording difficult.

Personally, I'd go for a little more race and a little less pre-stage chat, but there you go.

Oh, and the best thing? Rai Sport repeats the whole race, from today!:)

Mar 10, 2009
www.flickr.com
Yes interesting to hear that background info ToS thanks.

In fact I refer to "RAI" in original post, but receive it via Eurosport Germany on my sat' dish, so fortunately just get 'men on bikes' :D. But I might turn the dish next year to try RAI direct.