Rain Bike

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
It's raining today in my neck of the woods,
so I rode to work on my "rain bike".

There are different types of rain bikes..
Some for commuting etc, some for tougher rides or training in the wet.

Mine is a commuter setup. Fenders, tougher tubes and tires and Mr Toughies.
No derailleur to get messy. A bike you can put away dirty and not feel too bad.
Ooops, looks like I will lube my chain and take the slack out a bit before the ride home today....

I memory of Daotec, how about posting some nasty grungy pics of your own rain bikes?
Here is mine. Not too grungy:



oh yeah. My bike has a mirror. Need a mirror. I'm a big mirror fan.
Maybe that will be a different picture thread someday...

 
Mar 16, 2009
19,486
0
0
Bought the bike for $85 at a yard sale had the wheels,bags,lights and rack.
It's a blast to ride. I would take it on charity rides and leave the really good stuff at home. And it has a kickstand!

 
Mar 19, 2009
2,703
0
0
on3m@n@rmy said:
Interesting setup... especially the brake, bar, and shift levers.
that's shift lever (singular, not plural). Front der. only. rear tensioner is a PAUL Melvin. 50/34t up front, 18t in the back. ;)
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,703
0
0
malanb said:
mmm seat post setback is not designed for long torsos or longish arms... that is the stem's job.
Pffft! Oh c'mon dude, who you foolin'? The combination of stem length and where you're sitting whether it be saddle rail adj or setback post determines fit for your upper body. about a quarter century of road riding experience, I'm not trying to blow smoke up your ___, it's just how things work. Sorry, next.
 
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
that's shift lever (singular, not plural). Front der. only. rear tensioner is a PAUL Melvin. 50/34t up front, 18t in the back. ;)
More there than meets the eye at first glance. I missed the tensioner and thought the rear gear to be some slimed down cassette, and I missed the plug on the left bar down drop. Most interesting... that and then some... bike setup I've seen. Pretty simple. Must be reliable. Did you have that in mind when you came up with that setup? (I assume you came up with this setup yourself). The saddle is kind of nostalgic, and I've never seen an auto part (Edelbrock) decal on a bike. :cool:
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,703
0
0
on3m@n@rmy said:
More there than meets the eye at first glance. I missed the tensioner and thought the rear gear to be some slimed down cassette, and I missed the plug on the left bar down drop. Most interesting... that and then some... bike setup I've seen. Pretty simple. Must be reliable. Did you have that in mind when you came up with that setup? (I assume you came up with this setup yourself). The saddle is kind of nostalgic, and I've never seen an auto part (Edelbrock) decal on a bike. :cool:
I set this bike up almost exactly a decade ago when I was working at QBP, a second generation Cross Check, first ones were blue. The Parts and gearing have changed over the years, but It's been a 2 speed through it's existence. Not many people running two speed with a front der., most modern 2 speeds are going with a dingle fixed or freewheel, which didn't make sense to me ever as I wanted something for hills and flats, dingles just don't cut it in that regard for gear ratios. Saddle is San Marco Regal, still available. Edelbrock, ha! If I had enough time to write an essay about my life I would, let just say I'm also a motorhead.
 
May 4, 2010
219
0
0
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Pffft! Oh c'mon dude, who you foolin'? The combination of stem length and where you're sitting whether it be saddle rail adj or setback post determines fit for your upper body. about a quarter century of road riding experience, I'm not trying to blow smoke up your ___, it's just how things work. Sorry, next.
Isn't saddle setback best determined by femur length, and after that's accomplished, then you work with stem length?
 
May 4, 2010
219
0
0
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Not many people running two speed with a front der., most modern 2 speeds are going with a dingle fixed or freewheel, which didn't make sense to me ever as I wanted something for hills and flats, dingles just don't cut it in that regard for gear ratios. Saddle is San Marco Regal, still available. Edelbrock, ha! If I had enough time to write an essay about my life I would, let just say I'm also a motorhead.
Tha makes complete sense about the gearing. Gives me something to consider for my next generation commuter.
Yup, like the Edelbrock sticker. :)
 
May 4, 2010
219
0
0
2006 Trek 7.3FX. Like a good cowboy, I still use my old Turbomatic II saddle. Planet Bike Hardcore fenders (although I wished I would have opted for the longer Cascadia model), SPD pedals, and Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 studded tires. Great for Wisconsin winter commuting.

Oh, that is my car behind the snow bank. It was just easier to ride through the snow that day than to dig out the car. :p

 
Aug 9, 2009
32
0
8,580
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
that's shift lever (singular, not plural). Front der. only. rear tensioner is a PAUL Melvin. 50/34t up front, 18t in the back. ;)
For a second I thought you were running something like a Sachs-Huret Jubilee
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,703
0
0
marathon marke said:
Isn't saddle setback best determined by femur length, and after that's accomplished, then you work with stem length?
Sure, it effects how your lower body fits to the bike as well, all tied together, but the previous comment about how I should adj my positioning just with the stem and as if seat post set back doesn't have anything to do with your upper body is flat wrong, I hope that guy doesn't work at a shop. Like I just started riding yesterday or something, whatever. When I rode a straight post on it originally I had to run a 140mm stem and I was too far forward over the front wheel with the saddle slammed all the way back which made the handling crap. Now with the setback post, which I think is 16mm back I run a 120 and I'm perfectly balanced over the bike now, and comfortable as ever. Notice the bar/saddle height is almost the same, makes it so comfy I can roll out a century of pure gravel roads on this rig and not want to vomit if I was using the typical racer set up where the saddle is a mile higher than the bars.
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,703
0
0
Le breton said:
Hum, interesting bike.

I like the fact that you removed the pedals, they are such a nuisance.

Do you walk when gravity works against you? Hitch a ride?
Ha! I'm in a situation right now were I have double the bikes compared to pedal sets, so I have to migrate some from bike to bike. I actually took this photo for PAUL Comp because I've been using their Melvin for 10 years or so, they were stoked to see it.
 
Mar 27, 2010
13
0
0
yep but I have my saddle set all the way back and I have no long torso. it just feels better for me there.
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,703
0
0
Not really, the same rules apply to this section of the forum too, don't go off topic. What do your 2 posts here have anything remotely to do with the thread? (rehtorical) If you wanna look at pictures of cars do a Google image search and post to your hearts content in the cafe, not here. 1st and last warning.
 
Jun 18, 2009
2,079
0
0
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
I set this bike up almost exactly a decade ago when I was working at QBP, a second generation Cross Check, first ones were blue. The Parts and gearing have changed over the years, but It's been a 2 speed through it's existence. Not many people running two speed with a front der., most modern 2 speeds are going with a dingle fixed or freewheel, which didn't make sense to me ever as I wanted something for hills and flats, dingles just don't cut it in that regard for gear ratios. Saddle is San Marco Regal, still available. Edelbrock, ha! If I had enough time to write an essay about my life I would, let just say I'm also a motorhead.
I'd never have thought of doing a double on the front but that makes so much sense. Cool ride.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS