• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Raleigh Shadow?

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi there
Looks like I'll be getting a 'new' bike tomorrow, it's a Raleigh that was apparently originally purchased in 1986, and as far as I can make it, it is called 'Shadow'. This is what it looks like:
bike3.JPG

&

bike4.JPG

I am basically trying to find out as much info about the bike as possible, and a web search has pulled up nothing. As you can see, the photos are alright, but obviously it is nigh on impossible to read what is written on the top and down tubes, so I can't even be 100% certain that it is a "Raleigh Shadow".

Any ideas/info much appreciated - frame material, geometry, components, opinions please!

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
I downloaded the pic and enlarged it. and it does appear to say Raleigh Shadow
I don't know if it's the enlargement but the wheels look to have some flat spots. Might not be noticeable riding. But maybe you can haggle down the price But it could just be shadows and light playing tricks
bike3.JPG

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Also, I am wondering if I would be able to upgrade the gears - it looks like there's only one on the front, and I would like to put on a compact chainset if possible, and I would also like to increase the cassette size at the rear. Would either/both of those be possible to do?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
You can probably fit a new crank if you can find parts that fit. Ebay often has this kind of vintage gear, but it can be very expensive. Note that compact is a rather new invention though. Some of the old cranks have funny BCD-diameter different from 110 (compact) of 135 (standard). But it is difficult to say before you have the bicycle. I can see the crank only has three bolts holding the chainrings - new ones have 5. You probably also need some special tool to change the crankset.

The rear spacing is probably 126 mm, but newer rear spacing is 130 mm. So you wont be able to fit a new casette unless you expand the rear spacing by applying brute force. You can see how to do it on the Sheldon Brown website. He writes a lot about classic bicycles and has a database on bottom bracket sizes, different gears and all sorts of other stuff, including old raleigh parts.

What you could probably do is to fit a custom cassette. Like a 13-30, 6 speed and a rear derailer that will accomodate that. Then you will have a lot of different gear ratios, but with large jumps between them.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
You can get a Sugino Compact (110 double) tapered crank for around $100. You'll also need a new BB... at least another $25.

This bike, if it has the original hubs, takes Freewheels, not Cassettes. IRD makes 6 and 7 speed FW's. Sunrace makes a 13-28 and 13-30 7sp.

For perspective, these upgrades will cost you more than the bike is worth. You can do these upgrades, but you'll still have poor components, questionable hubs and a heavy, probably straight gauge steel frame. If that's what you wanted ...... go ahead with the upgrades. Otherwise look for a complete bike that has what you want, and needs no upgrading.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
So,
By the 80s did Raleigh use standard BSA bottom brackets on their low-end or were they still "Raleigh Specials". Unless a standard english BB, not worth buying unless you DON'T want to change it.

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
TheDude said:
So,
By the 80s did Raleigh use standard BSA bottom brackets on their low-end or were they still "Raleigh Specials". Unless a standard english BB, not worth buying unless you DON'T want to change it.

How would I find out for this particular bike?

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I understand the price implications, don't worry about that. I also realise the frame itself isn't all that, hence the original post.

I am still interested in finding out if my ideas are possible. Feasibility isn't really a top priority at the mo. :)

TRENDING THREADS