• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rank the young GT talents

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Pinot, Bardet, Aru, Majka, Kelderman, and Quintana.
Currently and on their future GT potential

For me:
Now:
Quintana
Aru
Pinot
Majka
Bardet
Kelderman

On future GT potential:
Quintana
Aru
Majka
Bardet
Kelderman
Pinot

Feel free to add anyone you feel that is relevant (I was keeping my list to riders under 25). I expect Formolo to be a big GT star as well.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
edit: Gotta mention Kudus #HypeTrain

+1 Forget about all these silly Colombians, Kudus is an amazing talent. :D

Also, Adam Yates should probably be mentioned. However, the problem with some of these is that they never raced a GT for the GC or never a GT at all. So while guys like Yates, Chaves and Kudus are no doubt amazing talents, who knows if they will be consistent enough and recover enough over three weeks.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Chaves, Henao, Yates & Formolo are pretty clearly in a seperate discussion to these guys at the moment.

Yates has done aswell as all the talents in his neo pro year imo. I maybe wrong, but was Quintana great in 1st year. Clearly Yates will not be Quintana but still.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I don´t think you can rank Majka higher then Keldermerckx, Wilco is 2 years younger and is already one of the ballsiest gc riders. I think in a few years Wilco will get a Tdf top 3 result, he always tries to attack, is good in ITTs and the regular, not extremly steep climbs at the tour suit him very well.
What do you think of Patrick Konrad, he seems to be a very talented guy.

Mayomaniac said:
I don´t think you can rank Majka higher then Keldermerckx, Wilco is 2 years younger and is already one of the ballsiest gc riders. I think in a few years Wilco will get a Tdf top 3 result, he always tries to attack, is good in ITTs and the regular, not extremly steep climbs at the tour suit him very well.
What do you think of Patrick Konrad, he seems to be a very talented guy.

I would agree with you if not for this Tour. It changed my perception of Majka. I think he will believe more in himself now and become way more agressive. Also, he is superior in mountains compared to Wilco and thats unlikely to change.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Pinot seems to have overcome his fear of decsending so thats a big plus for the youngster and a podium place would do his confidence no harm at all. Of course he still needs to prove himself in the time trials if he ever to wear the maillot jaune in Paris.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Formolo should be one of the best, his results as a neopro are great and for a young italian GC rider his ITT skills are astounding, just look at his performance in the 2 ITTs at the Tour de Suisse

fantomas said:
Now:
Quintana
Pinot
Aru
Kelderman
Bardet
Majka

On future GT potential:
Quintana
Aru
Pinot / Kelderman
Bardet
Majka

Majka is not a GT prospect.

Results at Giro prove otherwise....unfortunately he got a stomach flu/infection in a third week, was curling in pain instead of sleeping, but next year he will prove you otherwise. He will never be Contador/Froome level, but Valverde, Rodriguez, why not?

damian13ster said:
I would agree with you if not for this Tour. It changed my perception of Majka. I think he will believe more in himself now and become way more agressive. Also, he is superior in mountains compared to Wilco and thats unlikely to change.

Hmm, but then in the Dauphine Kelderman showed a new level and even responded to Froomesque attacks.
Anyway....

all too early to say. 21 year old Gesink was way more impressive then 24 year old Nibali. Look what happened...

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hmm, but then in the Dauphine Kelderman showed a new level and even responded to Froomesque attacks.
Anyway....

all too early to say. 21 year old Gesink was way more impressive then 24 year old Nibali. Look what happened...

Are you serious? Kelderman didn't responded to Froomes attacks. Only Contador did.

Froome/Contador did af Contador/Schleck 2010 and kept on watching each other. Otherwise they would both have gone and gained more than a minute on the others.

I think Quintana is level above the rest, and then Majka/Aru/Kelderman and maybe Pinot will follow. But we just dont know yet.

Future GT Winners
1. Quintana - already has one....he will be the new top dog.
2. Aru
3. Talansky

All the other great young talents have one flaw or an other that make it harder for me to picture them winning a GT. Of course they could if big names aren't there (like the 2014 Tour :p) or if the course suits them perfectly, but in general I think these will mainly podium or be top 5 contenders.

Majka, Kelderman, Pinot, Bardet, Horner,....there's probably others. But these are the big one's I'm expecting to see with high GC results over the next 10 years.

Jspear said:
Future GT Winners
1. Quintana - already has one....he will be the new top dog.
2. Aru
3. Talansky

All the other great young talents have one flaw or an other that make it harder for me to picture them winning a GT. Of course they could if big names aren't there (like the 2014 Tour :p) or if the course suits them perfectly, but in general I think these will mainly podium or be top 5 contenders.

Majka, Kelderman, Pinot, Bardet, Horner,....there's probably others. But these are the big one's I'm expecting to see with high GC results over the next 10 years.
Horner's son is already riding?

TRENDING THREADS