• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rank the young GT talents

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
With Aru you have to consider the fact that he started road racing only in 2009. He seems to have great potential, the giro was his first GT as a leader and he always knew when he could attack successfully or when riding at his own pace and not responding to an attack was better.
Wilco is aggressive and tough, in the Gavia-Stelvio stage he seemed to be the strongest of the guys that didn't follow Nairo on the Stelvio descent.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Just the regular names, but it's more interesting to look at the next generation, or guys who are still hidden secrets, but actually can grow to the level of the riders mentioned.

You can think about Suaza, Verveake, Eiking, Hart, Osorio, Herklotz and others. Big chance some of these riders can put themselves into that list of the likes of Quintana, Yates, Pinot etc.

Quintana is by far the best obviously - his brother looks sharp aswell.;)

After Quintana, Aru is probably the best pick for a future Giro or Vuelta winner - he's not an allrounder, so the Tour is never gonna suit him fully and he still lacks a bit of tactical skill. However he's one hell of a fighter.

Now that Majka has had the taste of victory, I'm starting to think of him more as a potential GT winner than I did at the Giro, where he didn't look too good.

Kelderman is a bit overrated imo, but he has the characteristics to become a good solid Tour podium contender. I don't think he'll ever win a GT though.

After the ITT saturday we can see if Pinot has truly evolved into a more versatile rider or if he's still the same one-dimensional climber who performs good but not exceptional

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Cance > TheRest said:
Kelderman is a bit overrated imo, but he has the characteristics to become a good solid Tour podium contender. I don't think he'll ever win a GT though.
Don't forget Kelderman is from 1991 while most of the other talants are from 1990 (Quintana, Pinot, Bardet, Aru and Kwiat) and Majka, Betancur and vGarderen are even older.
In contrast to Aru, Kelderman is an allrounder with an excelent time trial. So Kelderman is made for the Tour. Besides I think Kelderman could made the most fysical progression, based on his appaerance. (together with Bardet) But thats just a personal feeling.
Anyhow, it is a little bit of guessing and you never know what the future brings. However I will put my money on Kelderman, but I've to admit that I'm Dutch. :D

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
For me

Quintana.....Clearly #1
Aru / Majka.....Tie for 2nd
Betancor...If he does not Eat another Tour contender in the off season:p
Bardet
Pinot
Mollema...He needs to develop. In a Giro/Vuelta way. Before shooting for tour podium. Which I think if he goes to TFR they will do.

Actually Pinot and Aru give me the same kind of feeling: climbing with the very best on their days but still rather inconsistent: I mean Pinot never bonked in the Tour but you could clearly see his best and worst days.
Or maybe they're just clean(ish) :p

thehook said:
For me

Quintana.....Clearly #1
Aru / Majka.....Tie for 2nd
Betancor...If he does not Eat another Tour contender in the off season:p
Bardet
Pinot
Mollema...He needs to develop. In a Giro/Vuelta way. Before shooting for tour podium. Which I think if he goes to TFR they will do.
You're obviously entitled to your opinion and I respect that but just some notes:
1. Betancourt clearly beat Majka last year in the Giro. Obviously, if we factor professionalism into the equation.....yeah I may agree Majka is better.
2. Pinot is showing to be better than Bardet this year. They may be in different development stages but I think Pinot is a better climber. Also, Bardet strikes me more of a puncheur and I think his TT is worse than Pinot's. This one is just a guess, we'll see on Saturday.
3. I would rate Aru close to Pinot, right after the mighty Nairo.

TRENDING THREADS