Ranny giving more naming rights away for free?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
Tapeworm said:
Actually know all these figures chaps or are we making a collective guess out of thin air? Privy to the SA governments books are we? Tourism SA? For say the last twenty years or so? Or is it up to the usual high standards of evidence collation by the collective wisdom of the clinic crew ie: no ****ing idea?

I think I'll wait for the official audit or Royal Commision, thank you.
40 million dollars and around 40,000 spectators from interstate and overseas is an official figure. the hog's "figures" are mostly out of thin air.
 
auscyclefan94 said:
40 million dollars and around 40,000 spectators from interstate and overseas is an official figure. the hog's "figures" are mostly out of thin air.
Correction. They're not "theHog's" figures. They are the figures that get issued in the press releases. 3m to make 40m. I was correcting the assumption that the 40m is made by Armstrong alone.

In addition I'm not suggesting the TDU is bad event or not necessary. It serves a purpose.

Lets keep our hats on.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
thehog said:
Correction. They're not "theHog's" figures. They are the figures that get issued in the press releases. 3m to make 40m. I was correcting the assumption that the 40m is made by Armstrong alone.

In addition I'm not suggesting the TDU is bad event or not necessary. It serves a purpose.

Lets keep our hats on.
I never said you said some of that but I think you are underselling the economic benefit the tdu has on SA.
 
Mar 18, 2009
981
0
0
thehog said:
Correction. They're not "theHog's" figures. They are the figures that get issued in the press releases. 3m to make 40m. I was correcting the assumption that the 40m is made by Armstrong alone.

In addition I'm not suggesting the TDU is bad event or not necessary. It serves a purpose.

Lets keep our hats on.
The assumption is pretty easily made that Armstrong is indeed responsible. Especially when commentators drop some numbers in the middle of an out pouring of Lance's wonderfulness.;)
 
Dec 21, 2010
513
0
0
Alpe d'Huez said:
I'd love to see an audit on that $40m. And I thought my country was completely screwed politically.
Don't visit New South Wales if you think South Australia is screwed up politically.....:eek:
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
GreasyMonkey said:
Don't visit New South Wales if you think South Australia is screwed up politically.....:eek:
Keneally (premier) is going to cop a belting in the next election. Expect swings of over 10% !
 
Tapeworm said:
Actually know all these figures chaps or are we making a collective guess out of thin air? Privy to the SA governments books are we? Tourism SA? For say the last twenty years or so? Or is it up to the usual high standards of evidence collation by the collective wisdom of the clinic crew ie: no ****ing idea?

I think I'll wait for the official audit or Royal Commision, thank you.
Erm, people are only going off what (little) information the government has released with regards to the TdU. Not people here's fault that they are very secretive about it.
 
May 24, 2010
855
0
0
Ferminal said:
Erm, people are only going off what (little) information the government has released with regards to the TdU. Not people here's fault that they are very secretive about it.
Sounds like they have graduated at the Lance Armstrong Disinformation Training School, flummox people by talking nonsense most of the time.
 
The assumption appears to be 40,000 visitors at $1,000 per head.

Of course that is spend, not net profit to the vender. I would be surprised if net profit after COGS/expenses is more than $3m. The fee paid to Lancey-poo would therefore be a very poor investment for the state.

And maybe $1,000/person is a bit on the high side. For example, visitors from Queensland will likely just hop in a canoe to get to the race therefore limiting their spending.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
laziali said:
Errrrr, maybe because Pharmstong has won seven Tours and Cuddles none???? And don't try to tell me that Cuddles rides clean.
cuddles rides on pure Sassi 'juice', whatever that is, but if its clean so is Ferrari juice...;)
 
Dec 5, 2010
86
0
0
I'd be most interested to know if the Livestrong Path will end up operating on the same licensing fee as Flinders and if so how much it is and who gets it.

There's no debate about the TdU being good for the local economy, I do question the figures Sherwen, Ligget and Rann toss around though. We all know they're so far in Lances pocket it's amazing they can see daylight still.
 
Oct 1, 2010
320
0
0
I didn't realise that Austin and Adelaide were sister cities, but they have been since 1983. That must in part explain the support Lance Armstrong has given the Santos Tour Down Under and the wonderful work he has done for South Australians fighting cancer since 2009.

Austin has sister city relationships with 9 other cities around the world. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Mr Armstrong could visit Koblenz, Lima, Oita, Saltillo, Taichung, Old Orlu, Gwangmyeong, Maseru and Xishuangbanna and help strengthen the bond of friendship between those cities and Austin? At the same time he could be raising awareness of cancer in those cities using his legendary spirit, inspiration and determination. Additionally by opening LIVESTRONG branded cycle paths in those cities, Mr Armstrong would be leaving an indelible mark on those cities and would help raise awareness of the huge role that physical activity and exercise play in the prevention of certain types of cancer. Also it would be a great honour for those cities to be forever associated with the invaluable work of LIVESTRONG in yet another celebrated partnership.
 
auscyclefan94 said:
Well they had 40,000 people come from interstate or overseas for the race which ain't bad. It means that each person would of had to put $1000 into the economy so when you look at accommodation, buying food, transport, merchandise and other stuff it is viable that it could of pumped 40 mil into the economy.
As if Lance is responsible for this. Or no one would show up to watch if Lance were completely retired and they decided to promote Aussie cyclists instead (at a fraction of the cost probably).

This entire thing seems like a whitewash to me. Fluffed up and rationalized by political propaganda.

What surprises me though is all the people in Oz that are apparently buying into it, or at the very least not questioning it. :confused:
 
Alpe d'Huez said:
As if Lance is responsible for this. Or no one would show up to watch if Lance were completely retired and they decided to promote Aussie cyclists instead (at a fraction of the cost probably).

This entire thing seems like a whitewash to me. Fluffed up and rationalized by political propaganda.

What surprises me though is all the people in Oz that are apparently buying into it, or at the very least not questioning it. :confused:
Absolutely. I gotta think people are coming because of the stellar sprinters field and all the stories behind the duels. Lance is going to be a total non factor so why even bother with him.
I don't get the Aussie love affair with Lance. It is really not right.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
veganrob said:
Absolutely. I gotta think people are coming because of the stellar sprinters field and all the stories behind the duels. Lance is going to be a total non factor so why even bother with him.
I don't get the Aussie love affair with Lance. It is really not right.
Alpe d'Huez said:
As if Lance is responsible for this. Or no one would show up to watch if Lance were completely retired and they decided to promote Aussie cyclists instead (at a fraction of the cost probably).

This entire thing seems like a whitewash to me. Fluffed up and rationalized by political propaganda.

What surprises me though is all the people in Oz that are apparently buying into it, or at the very least not questioning it. :confused:
I don't either. But you have to understand where people get their cycling coverag from. Name 1 cycling journalist which has had a go at Lance? They all, especially Tomalaris have their heads stuck up their arses.
 
Jul 2, 2009
2,394
0
0
Going back to the OP's title of this thread, how much do you think the 'naming rights' for a one mile cycle path in Adelaide are worth?

I reckon it's probably less than I've got in my pocket right now.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
Mambo95 said:
Going back to the OP's title of this thread, how much do you think the 'naming rights' for a one mile cycle path in Adelaide are worth?

I reckon it's probably less than I've got in my pocket right now.
The mile cycle path is the new part. I think it is more than that.
 
Mambo95 said:
Going back to the OP's title of this thread, how much do you think the 'naming rights' for a one mile cycle path in Adelaide are worth?

I reckon it's probably less than I've got in my pocket right now.
Hey, here is your chance then. The Mambo Mile. Like the ring of that. Sweet
 
Aug 3, 2009
3,217
1
0
Mambo95 said:
Going back to the OP's title of this thread, how much do you think the 'naming rights' for a one mile cycle path in Adelaide are worth?

I reckon it's probably less than I've got in my pocket right now.
About half what the same mile is worth in Sydney?
 
Mambo95 said:
Going back to the OP's title of this thread, how much do you think the 'naming rights' for a one mile cycle path in Adelaide are worth?

I reckon it's probably less than I've got in my pocket right now.
Not a lot... but it's still a possible rent. Whether it be $5 or $50,000 it's more the principle - people wouldn't want it to be named "BHP Footpath" for free so "LiveSTRONG" shouldn't cut it either.
 
Jul 2, 2009
2,394
0
0
Ferminal said:
Not a lot... but it's still a possible rent. Whether it be $5 or $50,000 it's more the principle - people wouldn't want it to be named "BHP Footpath" for free so "LiveSTRONG" shouldn't cut it either.
Do you really think money changed hands? How many other cycle tracks have been 'named'. It was just a politician doing a photo opportunity.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY