• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rasmussen also pulls a Rasmussen.

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
roundabout said:
Don't forget the locals looking for every excuse in the book to let the home-grown product off. :rolleyes:

There's certainly a distinct tendency towards that, but from the limited information so far released it seems to me that this particular case was been botched by the UCI. They have to follow a procedure to do someone for missing tests and apparently they didn't follow it.

The way I understand it, they had no other choice then letting him go. The UCI f---ed up on the last warning, so it could not legally be used. Thereby Rasmussen only had two strikes and was free to go. Until he messes up again, which could be any minute now. :)

Btw I think I remember Rasmussens lawyer pointed the mishandling out the same day the case got known.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Thomsena said:
He told the news that he thought he was actually down on only one warning now. Very Rasmussen like to be uncertain about it, haha.

Or know what country they are in as well. It would be pointless looking at their passport as they would still have NFI.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I don't think JV should sign Rasmussen just because he's been cleared on a technicality. He did miss those tests. Whether the UCI is corrupt/incompetent or not, that doesn't change what Rasmussen did.

Therein in my opinion lies the real Garmin, they can dress it up any way they want but it is still a world pro team in the pro peloton winning major races. We all know how that is achieved, lots of hard work with a little 'extra' to get ahead of the competition.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I don't think JV should sign Rasmussen just because he's been cleared on a technicality. He did miss those tests. Whether the UCI is corrupt/incompetent or not, that doesn't change what Rasmussen did.

The problem would be that (to my understanding) that they had already signed the contract as of the date that the UCI advised the DCU and Rassmussen of the 3rd missed test - to then cancel the contract prior to any disciplinary hearing would leave them open to claims of damages and breach of contract. The pending offences are null and void due to a UCI procedural stuff up of the most basic kind - whether there were the missed tests or not is now irrelevant.

Obviously the UCI is either a) so overworked, they need more staff, b) so inept and hopeless, they should not be in the role that they are, or c) so corrupt.....

Yeah, but I'd be surprised if Garmin's internal code didn't cover something like that at least in a way vague enough to warrant rendering the contract void. Lowe wasn't suspended either and as far as the UCI was concerned his record remains pure.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
I dont really see whats wrong with Garmin taking Alex on the team. Yes, it was a very stupid mistake, but everybody knows that Alex is not a cheater. He have never been, and he never will be. Alex is just unprofessionel in the lifestyle - or was, i think he learned something from this, and now will take it more serious.

Anyway im really happy to see Alex go free. Ban those who is trying to get better result by cheating, not a rider like Alex who is clean. Looking forward to see him back at the track in Ballerup at the Copenhagen 6-days :)

EDIT: Oh and at the Giro next year! Start in Denmark with a TT almost perfect for him. Go Alex! :D

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
simonk said:
I dont really see whats wrong with Garmin taking Alex on the team. Yes, it was a very stupid mistake, but everybody knows that Alex is not a cheater. He have never been, and he never will be. Alex is just unprofessionel in the lifestyle - or was, i think he learned something from this, and now will take it more serious.

Anyway im really happy to see Alex go free. Ban those who is trying to get better result by cheating, not a rider like Alex who is clean. Looking forward to see him back at the track in Ballerup at the Copenhagen 6-days :)

EDIT: Oh and at the Giro next year! Start in Denmark with a TT almost perfect for him. Go Alex! :D

I dont really see whats wrong with Saxo taking Contador on the team. Yes, it was a very stupid mistake, but everybody knows that Contador is not a cheater. He have never been, and he never will be. Contador is just unprofessionel in the lifestyle - or was, i think he learned something from this, and now will take it more serious.

TRENDING THREADS