• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rasmussen to ride the Vuelta?

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=15889

"Michael Rasmussen has large hopes in disputing the Return to Spain. It has revealed to the press of its country maintains negotiations with a team that will dispute the round españoa."

"Last weekend I maintained contacts with a team and I expect to arrive at an agreement", has revealed.

Finally no Contador in the depart

The stars for the Overall are:

Alejandro Valverde
Ezequiel Mosquera
Samuel Sánchez
Igor Antón
Andy Schleck
Ivan Basso
Andreas Kloden
Robert Gesink
Damiano Cunego.....and......
.......Alexander Vinokourov

Oh and.......Cadel Evans!

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=15889

"Michael Rasmussen has large hopes in disputing the Return to Spain. It has revealed to the press of its country maintains negotiations with a team that will dispute the round españoa."

"Last weekend I maintained contacts with a team and I expect to arrive at an agreement", has revealed.
Ouch Babelfish makes my brain hurt. Anyways, as a Dane I can reveal that Michael Rasmussen has not said that he is in negotiation with a team that takes part in the Vuelta. What he has said is that he is negotiating with a team that will fulfill his Sporting ambitions. The website that brought the article then speculated that this meant the Vuelta. Cyclingnews then mistranslated the article in such a way that it sounded like Rasmussen himself said he was negotiating with a team in the Vuelta. This article is probably based on that mistranslation.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Probably to windy for the cheating Dane anyway.
Stay at home or wherever or you say you are and enjoy your retirement.
Just watch the travelling circus on TV. There are enough clowns in le peleton at the moment.
:mad::p:mad::p

LOL!

Seriously, he didn't "cheat" much more or less than anyone else, did he?

Still think the guy has to just be seething inside, feeling like he had the 2007 Tour stolen from him.

Part of me wants to see him ride, same with Vino, Ricco, and the others that will attack and make things interesting and actually go for it, instead of just following a train until 2km from the finish. That doesn't mean I'm going to cheer for them though.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Whether he actually 'cheated' we will never know, but for reasons I can't quantify I never did like him during interviews etc. when he was racing and his behaviour and talking afterwards did nothing to improve that feeling.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
New developments.

He had a new team he was about to announce to ride the Vuelta with, and then he hears from organisers Unipublic that there is some UCI rule that requires any rider to be listed by a participating team 20 days before the start of the race...

In an interview he says that he finds that strange that he hears this now, as Pat McQuaid had (apparently) told him that there wouldn't be anything barring him from participating.

Interview in De Telegraaf, in dutch

PS>Vino is welcome.

Thanks for update:

There only thing certain about Alexander Vinokourov’s immediate future and whether or not he’ll race the Vuelta a España is that it is all far from certain.

Despite some reports that Vinokourov has the go-ahead to start the Vuelta next weekend with Astana, nothing is settled yet for the returning Kazakh rider.

According to Astana team spokesman Philippe Maertens, paperwork that would ease the way for Vinokourov’s return to the Astana fold is complete, but there’s still no final agreement between all the major players.

“For the moment, there is no agreement between Johan (Bruyneel) and Vinokourov,” Maertens told VeloNews. “He doesn’t have an agreement with the team, but the administrative things are all OK, in case they reach an agreement. Right now, there is no Vuelta for Vinokourov.”

Maertens would not reveal details of behind-the-scenes negotiations or the talking points, but only confirmed that Astana team manager Johan Bruyneel is speaking with Vinokourov and the Kazakh officials.

Vinokourov, 35, returned to competition earlier this month following his two-year racing ban for homologous blood doping. He raced for the Kazakh national federation team last week in France at the Tour de l’Ain and won an individual time trial.

If Vinokourov hopes to ride the Vuelta – which starts August 29 in Assen, Holland – he will need to be part of the Astana team.

So far, Vinokourov has been listed as an alternative for the nine-man squad, opening the door for his inclusion on the Vuelta squad if an agreement is hashed out.

Officials refused to reveal what is causing the log-jam, but Bruyneel and the Kazakhs have been wrangling for months over money, the return of Vinokourov and the future control of the team.

Astana is funded and controlled by the Kazakh cycling federation, which contracted Bruyneel to run the team in 2008 as part of a three-year agreement.

Bruyneel is expected to leave Astana to help form RadioShack in 2010, but it appears there are some unresolved issues between the Kazakhs and the Belgian director.

Too late for Rasmussen
While there is still some wiggle room for Vinokourov, that doesn’t appear to be the case for Michael Rasmussen.

Cleared to race in July following a two-year ban issued by the Monaco cycling federation, the Danish climber was hoping to find a team in time to race the 2009 Vuelta.

Rasmussen said he’s received an e-mail from Vuelta organizer, UniPublic, notifying him that he cannot participate in the Vuelta because he could not finalize an agreement with a team 20 days before the start of the race and is not part of the preliminary start list.

Bala Verde said:
New developments.

He had a new team he was about to announce to ride the Vuelta with, and then he hears from organisers Unipublic that there is some UCI rule that requires any rider to be listed by a participating team 20 days before the start of the race...

In an interview he says that he finds that strange that he hears this now, as Pat McQuaid had (apparently) told him that there wouldn't be anything barring him from participating.

Interview in De Telegraaf, in dutch

PS>Vino is welcome.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
dont think either rasmussen or vino will win the Vuelta...

Alejandro Valverde seems to be in good form this year
Samuel Sánchez, dont know about him, he seems to be everyone else's fav
Igor Antón does better in one day classics
Andy Schleck wont attack here, at least it sounds like
Ivan Basso - discount, never liked his race
Andreas Kloden will do better if he finds more confidence
Robert Gesink, if his wrist does not bother him, i dont see why not on podium
Cadel Evans - poor Cadel, I'd like to see him ride well here. If he has form he could win

So my top five are:
Cadel Evans
Alejandro Valverde
Samuel Sanchez
Robert Gesink
Andy Schleck

I want to see how Jakob Fuglsang does in his first GT.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
wagtmans said vino is back with astana, but de mol denied on tv today.
wagtmans also said that it's still bruyneel who selects the vuelta squad, so i'm guessing no vino =/

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
lucybears said:
Andreas Kloden DNS

if that's the case, and then Vino will be riding the Vuelta? Kloden might improve his performance by simply going to a team that doesnt have a superstar but certainly that doesnt help with his purse :D

Well, according to feltet.dk and now CN, Rasmussen won't be allowed to start because he didn't pre-register with an elegible team 20 days before the start. From what I understand, that is highly discriminating. Several other teams - e.g. silence lotto - are bringing riders that were not among the 12 pre-registered riders.

If they don't like him, they can exclude him. But do it openly and don't hide behind some regulation that is not respected - neither normally, nor for this specific race.

Think what you want of the guy, but the discrimation he faces disgusts me.
The danish cycling federation recently denied him a licence because he lives in italy. At the same time, many other danish riders have danish licence but live abroad.

hmronnow said:
Well, according to feltet.dk and now CN, Rasmussen won't be allowed to start because he didn't pre-register with an elegible team 20 days before the start. From what I understand, that is highly discriminating. Several other teams - e.g. silence lotto - are bringing riders that were not among the 12 pre-registered riders.

Do you know for a fact that those teams did not register the riders with the Vuelta? Or were they just not publicly announced on the team's long list?

I don't know either, so I won't state it as a fact one way or the other.....

Susan

Susan Westemeyer said:
Do you know for a fact that those teams did not register the riders with the Vuelta? Or were they just not publicly announced on the team's long list?

I don't know either, so I won't state it as a fact one way or the other.....

Susan

No, I only read it in an article from the danish newspaper http://www.politiken.dk: http://politiken.dk/sport/cykling/article771390.ece

Regel som sjældent håndhæves
Reglen, som Unipublic tilsyneladende benytter sig af i forsøget på at holde Michael Rasmussen ude, eksisterer godt nok, men håndhæves sjældent rigoristisk.

Således har det belgiske Silence-Lotto mandskab netop offentliggjort navnene på de ni ryttere, som tager fat på de tre ugers strabadser med enkeltstarten på motorbanen i den hollandske by Assen 29. august.

Og blandt de ni findes tre – australieren Matthew Lloyd, franskmanden Mickaël Delage og tyskeren Sebastian Lang – som ikke er mellem de 12, Silence-Lotto oprindelig opgav til arrangørerne.

They claim that silence lotto have 3 riders (Matthew Lloyd, Mickaël Delage and Sebastian Lang ), who were not in the original 12 man pre-selection.

Of course journalists can be wrong.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
lucybears said:
Michael Rasmussen has found an employer, namely the Mexican team Tecos de la Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara. :)

I guess he can finally say "I'm still in Mexico".

Beware the bird flu, chicken!

TRENDING THREADS