• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How would you rate this years race?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Rating it compared to other MSR, I give it a 7. Not the most exciting ever, but the rain made it a hard race. Not having a way of predicting the winner made the last kms interesting to watch for sure.

The best way to rate a race is to compare it to the last 10 edition (including this one) and ask oneself where it'd be ranked. The best msr of the last 10 years would thus be a 10 the second best a 9 etc.

Now I haven't seen all the last 10 editions live, but I doubt it was in the better half of the last 10 editions.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
The best way to rate a race is to compare it to the last 10 edition (including this one) and ask oneself where it'd be ranked. The best msr of the last 10 years would thus be a 10 the second best a 9 etc.

Now I haven't seen all the last 10 editions live, but I doubt it was in the better half of the last 10 editions.
That's a weir rating system, since that would imply races scoring 1/10 and 2/10...

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
Imo it's a great rating system. You don't think the worst race of the last 10 years deserves a 1/10 and the second worst edition deserves a 2/10?
Well, I assume a 1/10 means something different for you than for me then. I don't think any PR of the last 10 years deserve less than a 6/10, for example.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Gave it a ten...
We have to be realistic. That is as good cycling can get. Early breakaway try (almost always fails), late try by Nibali (gave it all), rain, small attacks and counter attacks on the last hill and afterwards, exciting sprint, surprising winner, survival of the strongest (no true sprinters sprint out of a big group)...

So what was missing? :confused:

There was more action last year with the absurd weather conditions than this year.......I mean - no action at all on the poggio and thank god Nibali at least dared to make a move-otherwise would have been a procession through the finish line....

I'm generous today-so i'd give it 7

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Gave it a ten...
We have to be realistic. That is as good cycling can get. Early breakaway try (almost always fails), late try by Nibali (gave it all), rain, small attacks and counter attacks on the last hill and afterwards, exciting sprint, surprising winner, survival of the strongest (no true sprinters sprint out of a big group)...

So what was missing? :confused:
Do you think it was better than last year? If not, then clearly it's not as good as it gets.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
Do you think it was better than last year? If not, then clearly it's not as good as it gets.

I didn´t see last years edition... but I am realistic; as long there is no true hard mountain course, attacks normally fail and are w/o action until the last 3-5 kms. So for that course, I am satisfied. I don´t know how it could have been better.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
I would rate 2012, 2011 and 2006 better
Last year should not have happened, and 2009 was not very eventful.
All the other ones were on par with this one.
I was still very young then, but I mostly remember the ones in Zabel's era being rather dull.

But all in all, I rate MSR as the 3th exiting of the classical classics, behind RVV and PR, but in front of FW, AGR, PT and even LBL and Lombardia.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Dutchsmurf said:
Rating it compared to other MSR, I give it a 7. Not the most exciting ever, but the rain made it a hard race. Not having a way of predicting the winner made the last kms interesting to watch for sure.

Same here....