• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2015 Tour de France !

How good was this years Tour de France ?

Votes: 5 3.0%

Votes: 4 2.4%

Votes: 6 3.7%

Votes: 9 5.5%

Votes: 25 15.2%

Votes: 40 24.4%

Votes: 40 24.4%

Votes: 29 17.7%

Votes: 4 2.4%

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
10 is the best possible rating.
1 is the worst possible rating.

I thought it started out really great. Finally a prologue ! Lots of tension as each rider came down and failed to beat Dennis. Really nice first week with echelons/cobbles/huy. Tony Martin win ? :D

While stage 10 itself was actually pretty exciting (if not the best first MTF of all time) it was also the stage that killed the middle section of the tour. Froome looked undefeatable and that took a lot of buzz out of the race I think for most people.

I liked the Mende stage aswell where Cummings stole the day with some insane cornering. Sagan's eternal second was also an interesting story line.

The race finally picked up on the final two mountain days as Quintana challenged Froome. I actually thought there was a chance Froome was going to lose it on the Alpe and it was a tense watch.

So what are all y'all thoughts ?

Think I'm going to go for a 6 ... but I do like Froome. :D

Overall there have been much better but also much worse Tours.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
6 cause of sagan, martin and Nibali. And of course GVA win :D

Stage 2 was the best stage, what a surprise.

Quintana could have made it an 8, maybe even a 9.

I'll go for a 6 too. First week had its moments but some stages were still a bit dull, second week saw GC effectively ended after which things kind of just mooched along for a while but there was nice racing with a few stages, and then the final week was pretty good with some quality stage wins and good GC action.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
8- 5 best stage race riders in the world in the 5 best positions, great action from sagan and the French, the alps stage was incredible. Only the cobbles were dissapointing had it been raining and nibali taken 2mim there, probably would have been the best ever.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
7 I really enjoyed the first week, there was just something missing. I think if Nibali and Contador were on top form the racing would of been awesome, plus it needed Quintana & Movistar to be more aggressive earlier

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
this years Tour was over after STAGE 2 , Quintana was the real winner end of, fact, he lost 1.28 mins and it was his team not him just as it was froomes team not him that gained the 1.28mins froome was second rate yet won, pish poor tdf . quintana was winner fact. best man came 2nd end of fact. stop your analysis

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
nelsonsmen71 said:
this years Tour was over after STAGE 2 , Quintana was the real winner end of, fact, he lost 1.28 mins and it was his team not him just as it was froomes team not him that gained the 1.28mins froome was second rate yet won, pish poor tdf . quintana was winner fact. best man came 2nd end of fact. stop your analysis

Taken Froome winning well I see

I'd give IT a 8. It was solid and had plenty of good stages especially the first week and last few in the Alps. Let down a little by the poor 2nd weak which is why it gets a 8 and not a 9.

Crosswinds were great, Huy was good, cobbles ok, nice breakaway wins and the final 2 MTF's were entertaining.

nelsonsmen71 said:

And there was me thinking cycling is a team sport? :p

that was a weak tour in terms of spectacle, pretty much like 2009 or 2012. the alpes brighten up it in a way, but still that's far away from what it could've been in a perfect scenario. nonetheless we had 2 big guys on a comparable level in the mountains which is pretty solid. all big four being in a magic form sadly turned out to be just a dream fantasy

Pricey_sky said:
nelsonsmen71 said:

It isn't. It's an individual sport (hence individuals are the ones who win) conducted with teams. Team sports are soccer, basketball, handball, volleyball etc.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I gave it an 7 although without the last two MTF would have probably been a 5 or 6. First week was epic- TT, crosswind, cobbles, punchy climbs and sprints. It gave us all we wanted in terms of GC action without creating too larger splits between favourites and no one important GC wise crashed out.

First MTF was great in terms of racing but it made us all think that the tour was over. Would have been a bit better if Quintana or Contador could have made an attack split and gain decent time on Froome.

The alps were lack ouster until the final two stages then exploded into life. Nairo was incredible and it was great to see Froome digging in deep.

Sagan provided excitement in about half the stages and it was great to see riders like Cummings ad Geschke realise their dreams :D

Netserk said:
Pricey_sky said:
nelsonsmen71 said:

It isn't. It's an individual sport (hence individuals are the ones who win) conducted with teams. Team sports are soccer, basketball, handball, volleyball etc.

It's still a sport where you need a strong team, or at least having a strong team is a massive advantage. A rider is unlikely to win anything by simply turning up to a race all on his own.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
5, Saved only by Martin, Nibali and the final two stages.

Froome won it early and everyone was too scared for their current position to try anything until it was too late.

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

fungusbear said:
nelsonsmen71 said:
Froome was average yet was maillot jaune ! not right
I don't understand this point of view as he was the strongest rider for 18 stages. The tour is not a two stage race.

Yep. Q simply wasn't strong enough to put the needed time on Froome. He had plenty of chances but just couldn't do it.

My initial score was a 7. But then I applied a curve when compared with other Tours and increased it to 8. It is hard to get good stages in Tours nowadays. This one had several. Last ones had maybe 2 at most. It looks like we are living in a new age of cycling where a lot of action is limited.

nelsonsmen71 said:
My first impression was that this was a Ryo Hazuki sockpuppet, but I went to check when Ryo was banned and I see its after.

Anyway, the arguments made are so dumb and nonsensical, its not even worth responding to.

TRENDING THREADS