• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2015 Tour de France !

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How good was this years Tour de France ?

Votes: 5 3.0%

Votes: 4 2.4%

Votes: 6 3.7%

Votes: 9 5.5%

Votes: 25 15.2%

Votes: 40 24.4%

Votes: 40 24.4%

Votes: 29 17.7%

Votes: 4 2.4%

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
7 - Great first week and first MTF (best stage I've seen in ages), but lost a little excitment after that, no one really took it to Froome until the final two mountain stages. Would have liked a bit more attacking by Quintana, was happy to sit in 2nd for far too long.
Nice to see Nibali with some form in the later stages and to see Gesink doing his thing as well.
Would have been an 8 if Sagan found his win!

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
nelsonsmen71 said:
this years Tour was over after STAGE 2 , Quintana was the real winner end of, fact, he lost 1.28 mins and it was his team not him just as it was froomes team not him that gained the 1.28mins froome was second rate yet won, pish poor tdf . quintana was winner fact. best man came 2nd end of fact. stop your analysis
Quintana lost it by himself, your post is a disgrace cuz Froom won it fair and square.

lol, im really shocked by how highly this is being rated, but if all of you really found this race to be entertaining, then good for you I guess, you will really enjoy anything this sport offers.

In my opinion, it was a bad race. Not as bad as 2009, or 2012 or 2014 but still bad.

First of all, there was no gc battle. That alone makes the maximum score in my opinion a 5. GC is what Gts are all about. the rest of it is scraps. A gt can't be any good on scraps alone. It would be like going into a restuarant to review a hamburger, getting a crap burger but still giving the meal 5 stars because you liked the chips.

These other stages and fights for green (which also wasn't contested) can't carry a gt. They can turn a good gc battle into a great gt (see 2010 Giro) but alone they won't make a crap gc battle into a good gt.

But even that wasn't anything special. The cobbles stage was a big damp squib. Prologue had no surprises either. Muur d huy was good, I'll give it that.

There were like 10 mountain stages though and only one was one by an actual gc guy, + nibali won one but he was already too far down. All breakways.

A breakaway is enjoyable if it happens once in a while. Gives the lesser guys a chance to shine once in a while. If however it happens every single bloody stage, that defeats the purpose. Everybody and their dog got chances to win a stage in this years tour.

I give the TDF a 2.5. One great stage - PSM. One ok one - Alpe (Quintana never stood a chance). A lot of mountain stages that promised a lot but offered nothing because Movistar only wanted to ride for 2nd place.

I gave it a 5. I didn't have much in terms of expectations, and it mostly didn't deliver the proper racing I wanted to have.

The first week was decent. I generally think flat stages are boring, but there were a few glimpses of good stuff in the first week. Zeeland was a fun stage, but could have created more carnage under the right circumstances. However, the cobbles were weak and indecisive, the stage to Le Havre was a borefest even though it could have been raced much harder. The Mur stages were just like FW. It's basically just an uphill sprint. It's about as exciting as a flat stage with the exception of a few GT guys maybe losing a little bit of time.

The TTT was so misplaced. Should never be this far into a GT. Not that Talansky had a chance at cracking top 5, but the TTT certainly didn't help when half his team had abandoned or were injured.

Then Froome basically won the tour after the first MTF and Movistar rode to protect their podium places which turned the second half into a borefest mostly, until Nairo proved to be the stronger climber in the Alps. Had Movistar tried to pressure Sky earlier this might have turned out differently.

Thankfully some riders animated this race and made it watchable. Sagan, Nairo in the end, Rolland, Bardet, Nibali in the end etc.

IDK, maybe I'm just rambling. But I don't feel like this Tour deserves more than 5 or a 6.

Re:

7/10 compared to just other Tours, probably 4.5/10 when you think about other GTs too. Halfway through I was already waiting for the Vuelta.

Missed most of the crosswind stage and the cobbles were a letdown, rest of the first week was just 'so what?' The Mur is just who gives a ***

Good parts were Sagan vs GVA finish, Mende, Gap with Sagan's descent, Quintana finally attacking yesterday. Geschke stage was nice too.

GC battle was bad, partly because of Sky easily controlling, partly because Movistar waited so long to try anything. Imagine if Contador was in better shape and closer on GC - I would've loved to see him go long range, and he is the guy with the balls to try it.

With a lot of the mountain stages the finale just seemed very static. Like the GC guys were just riding up together, and up the road the breakaway was already decided long before the finish.

This race needs smaller teams, or the sport needs a salary cap. Just having one team control everything easily until the final day is boring.

Pricey_sky said:
Netserk said:
Pricey_sky said:
nelsonsmen71 said:
this years Tour was over after STAGE 2 , Quintana was the real winner end of, fact, he lost 1.28 mins and it was his team not him just as it was froomes team not him that gained the 1.28mins froome was second rate yet won, pish poor tdf . quintana was winner fact. best man came 2nd end of fact. stop your analysis

And there was me thinking cycling is a team sport? :p
It isn't. It's an individual sport (hence individuals are the ones who win) conducted with teams. Team sports are soccer, basketball, handball, volleyball etc.

It's still a sport where you need a strong team, or at least having a strong team is a massive advantage. A rider is unlikely to win anything by simply turning up to a race all on his own.
That doesn't make it a team sport.

Re:

The Hitch said:
lol, im really shocked by how highly this is being rated, but if all of you really found this race to be entertaining, then good for you I guess, you will really enjoy anything this sport offers.

In my opinion, it was a bad race. Not as bad as 2009, or 2012 or 2014 but still bad.

First of all, there was no gc battle. That alone makes the maximum score in my opinion a 5. GC is what Gts are all about. the rest of it is scraps. A gt can't be any good on scraps alone. It would be like going into a restuarant to review a hamburger, getting a crap burger but still giving the meal 5 stars because you liked the chips.

These other stages and fights for green (which also wasn't contested) can't carry a gt. They can turn a good gc battle into a great gt (see 2010 Giro) but alone they won't make a crap gc battle into a good gt.

But even that wasn't anything special. The cobbles stage was a big damp squib. Prologue had no surprises either. Muur d huy was good, I'll give it that.

There were like 10 mountain stages though and only one was one by an actual gc guy, + nibali won one but he was already too far down. All breakways.

A breakaway is enjoyable if it happens once in a while. Gives the lesser guys a chance to shine once in a while. If however it happens every single bloody stage, that defeats the purpose. Everybody and their dog got chances to win a stage in this years tour.

I give the TDF a 2.5. One great stage - PSM. One ok one - Alpe (Quintana never stood a chance). A lot of mountain stages that promised a lot but offered nothing because Movistar only wanted to ride for 2nd place.
How was last year worse than '13? If you really think GC is so important, '13 must have been far worse than this year at least.

Re: Re:

Netserk said:
The Hitch said:

How was last year worse than '13? If you really think GC is so important, '13 must have been far worse than this year at least.

They were the same. Maybe some people deluded themselves into thinking Quintana could win, but realistically Froome had it in the bag all the way 2015 just like 2013.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
fungusbear said:
ILovecycling said:
Probably the best Tour since 2011, so 6/10.
Yep. At least in his tour there was some suspense on stage 20. We have not had that since 2011

I gave it an 8

You know what Hitch - you are such an expert (And I grant you that) that you lose vision of what has unfolded.

No GC battle my arse.
! ! !

Tactics were at play here.

SKY tactics were get an early lead then do a Cadel Evans.

Movietsar was we demolish them in the last two days.

Tinkov was that Contador would win no matter what - how many jerseys can we pick up.

Hitch - get down from your horse sometimes eh ?

I gave it a 7. It could have been a 9 and a huge showdown in the Alps had Quintana not conceded one minute and a half in the cross winds. It was a 5 before the Alps because of the GC: Froome had it in the bag. Some very nice stage finishes though: Cav only one win, but what a sprint that was! GVA: wow! And of course, I was particularly happy to see my French guys fight back, Pinot at l'Alpe d'Huez in particular. What a win!

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Tonton said:
I gave it a 7. It could have been a 9 and a huge showdown in the Alps had Quintana not conceded one minute and a half in the cross winds. It was a 5 before the Alps because of the GC: Froome had it in the bag. Some very nice stage finishes though: Cav only one win, but what a sprint that was! GVA: wow! And of course, I was particularly happy to see my French guys fight back, Pinot at l'Alpe d'Huez in particular. What a win!

Exactly.

It would have meant Hitch eating his words. and I know what MAY have happened is different but it could have. Hitch makes it out like there was no competition and that is BS. I loved the classic-esq stages - win for toothless stybar was great.

I did not want Froome to win but by god he told the field to fck off on the cobbles and descents! THAT was worth watching as well.. Hitch needs to haul himself out of his own ass.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Fight.The.Power said:
2.5 indeed pahh !

Well Cav I don't know. Very disappointing. You know what happens when you have a Page 3 wife.

I didn't know you were French. I think it has not been a bad tour. Bardet and Pinot have matured massively.

My favourite point of the Tour?

Nibali punching the air yesterday. FANTASTIC !

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Fight.The.Power said:
fungusbear said:
ILovecycling said:
Probably the best Tour since 2011, so 6/10.
Yep. At least in his tour there was some suspense on stage 20. We have not had that since 2011

Hitch - get down from your horse sometimes eh ?
Yep you are right. No one who disagrees with you is allowed an opinion.

Now that's not fair.

Hitch you are THE KNOWLEDGE and I I know that as does everyone else. Therefore you require to be criticised.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The main appeal of the Tour pretty much ended at PSM when Froome and Sky completely dominated the competition. You'd think that the Big 4 all targetting the Tour would produce a sustained contest over the yellow jersey, but Contador and Nibali arrived in embarrassing shape and Quintana and Movistar seriously *** up as early as stage 2.

All in all, better than 2014 and 2013 and of course 2012, but still bad overall.

I gave it a 5. The GC battle was no battle very early so much of the drama was already gone. The first week was good. It scored on 1-Tony Martin's 4 day quest for yellow and his awesome run in to accomplish it. 2-Nibali's long range stage win. 3-Bala's podium :). 4-MTNs performance and win on Mandela day. 5-The 3 French stage winners, especially Bardet. 6-Purito doing his thing twice and Nairo's great ride on the Alpe. There were Long periods of utter boredom though, hence the 5.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
I gave it a 5. The GC battle was no battle very early so much of the drama was already gone. The first week was good. It scored on 1-Tony Martin's 4 day quest for yellow and his awesome run in to accomplish it. 2-Nibali's long range stage win. 3-Bala's podium :). 4-MTNs performance and win on Mandela day. 5-The 3 French stage winners, especially Bardet. 6-Purito doing his thing twice and Nairo's great ride on the Alpe. There were Long periods of utter boredom though, hence the 5.

Hi Carol :)

I think the 'utter boredom' derived itself from the polarised tactics from Sky and movistar. No one expected Astana and Tinkoff (v) to be so out of it. Sky tactics was for froome to get a lead on day1 and defend. Movistar was to hammer the last two days.

In between you would have expected Contador and Nibali to attack and so did the respective teams. This lead to the hiatus that you refer to. ??

TRENDING THREADS