• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2022 Tour de France

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate the 2022 Tour de France

• 10 (best)

Votes: 30 17.1%

Votes: 71 40.6%

Votes: 42 24.0%

Votes: 16 9.1%

Votes: 3 1.7%

Votes: 5 2.9%

Votes: 2 1.1%

Votes: 1 0.6%

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 1 (worst

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
Funny you mention that, I had totally forgotten how during the early stages folks were joking about how Netflix would have to dig up some oddball storylines because the actual racing story would be so placid :)

And we don't even know how much will be about the racing, and how much will be about the behind-the-scenes stuff. Apparently, they followed the preparation for some riders.

I voted 8/10.

Entertaining and clearly above average but had some serious flaws like some disappointing stages (stage 12, I'm looking at you) and the top2 had way too much advantage over the rest as I definetely prefer a multipolar race over a two horse race. No fight for green jersey, climbers jersey won by a GC rider without thinking about it. There was room for better.

• Wow
Reactions: Roku and Sandisfan
how many tours weren't "dominated" by 3 riders, how many people do you think can remember finished 4th in the hallowed 1989 TDF without looking it up

like yes, there are instances like the very close 2008 TdF with no clear dominant rider, but people like head-to-head fights
Have a look at how many times Lemond and Fignon exchanged the yellow jersey in 1989.
2022 doesn't come close to that on the "head-to-head fights"

I gave it a 9. Upon reflection probably an 8 but 9 is OK. '89 Tour sets the bar at a 10. It wasn't nearly that good, so maybe 8 would have been better. I was a bit surprised to see so many 10 ratings!

Pros:
  • Fantastic GC battle
  • Dominance of Pogi broken, GC battle set up for years to come
  • Stage 11 to Col de Granon was all time, wonderful attacking and defending from 3 great riders
  • Surprises all around with Wout's rides, just incredible stuff
  • Stage 14 with Matthews win one of the best stages in years, both for the stage and GC
  • Never say die from Pogi
  • Cobbles battle was riveting, incredible work from WVA
  • Denmark crowds just incredible
  • Pogi all class in defeat
  • Pidcock win was awesome, haven't seen descending like that since Lemond was chasing Chiapucci
  • French got a win late
  • Constant attacking and high level every day
  • Death of boring Postal/Sky defensive, race-choking nonsense
  • Supercharged race was entertaining as hell
Cons:
  • Vingo is a bit boring as a personality, but nice enough
  • Pogi didn't get any time back at the end, would have preferred a back and forth battle to make it a real 9
  • Supercharged race was absurd
Maybe now we're ready for a race like '89 coming up. Should be exciting as heck the next few years.

91% voted 7 and above with most 8 or 9. I think that’s pretty indicative of the Tour overall. Wonder what the TV ratings were in Europe and the States. North American coverage has bounced around several networks over the years and I don’t think it helps expand the audience. I’d love to see it on a sports network in NA instead of the USA Network. Nothing against that network but I think a proper sports network would be more appropriate.

91% voted 7 and above with most 8 or 9. I think that’s pretty indicative of the Tour overall. Wonder what the TV ratings were in Europe and the States. North American coverage has bounced around several networks over the years and I don’t think it helps expand the audience. I’d love to see it on a sports network in NA instead of the USA Network. Nothing against that network but I think a proper sports network would be more appropriate.

I thought the USA network did fine, but then again, I was ok with Al Trautwig and OLN so long as I got to see actual live racing. The pre-shows and post-shows were interesting, even though Chris Horner was a bit much in his hypercriticism of teams and riders. The network showed entire stages, and I'm sure not a ton of fans were there for the long, flat stages. There were a fair number of commercials, but for me that's a small price to pay to see the whole race. I remember in the old days when we didn't get much racing at all.

And we don't even know how much will be about the racing, and how much will be about the behind-the-scenes stuff. Apparently, they followed the preparation for some riders.

If it's like Formula 1: Drive to Survive, it will be entertaining, for sure. I hope Netflix has learned from some of its mistakes (faking some stuff, for instance), and I hope it a clearer story to tell that The Least Expected Day. I'm really looking forward to it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Im not really a F-1 at all, but I loved Drive to Survive for some reason, so I cannot wait to watch.. Ride to Survive?

In terms of popularity, its pretty self-explanatory in Denmark: We got the Grand Depart, 4 stage wins and the yellow jersey. We have had incredible coverage of the race (TV2 broadcasting every minute off the race, including pre km 0, with small studio sessions before and after ALL stages + Eurosport, if you wanna go for the less nationalistic angle and if you dont mind adds), which have resulted in TdF being extremely popular in Denmark even before this year. I read somewhere that Denmark had the highest percentage of its inhabitants watching the race previous to this year. Then 2022 struck, and everybody seems to be talking about the Tour. Pretty incredible stuff here

I am more suprised with people rating it a 10. Then the race should be more or less perfect. And close to every aspect of it, not just the high mountain stages. More competitive GC (those behind top 3 this year was fairly mediocre), one or two really good breakway stages and a non mountain stage that is the icing on the cake (like the sterrato stages in the Giro).
My methodology is straightforward and well-known: where does it rank compared to other editions (of the past decade). With that scale, this is a clear 10. Hands down.

Pros
Jumbo and Pogacar made a very interesting race

Cobbles stage almost always deliver. A Roubaix stage every three years it's great.

Cons
The race needs a better route design:

At least one stage per mountain block needs to start with a proper climb almost from the gun (less than 10 km from the start) so all hell can break loose.

The long ITT would work better before the final mountain block.

Planche des Belles Filles

Altiport Gimmick Finishes

Swap a couple of uphill finishes (i.e. Megeve and Lausanne) for real medium mountain stages.

Reactions: Sandisfan
For me, this was the 90s action movie of Tour de Frances - constant action and explosive set pieces dominated by the leading actors; everybody else reduced to bit-parts and one-liners so that our three action heroes could shine!
I get that some people prefer art house cinema, with subtle sub-plots, slow dialogue and character exploration playing out in rainy scenes. I like those types of films too when I’m in the mood, but if I want to be entertained, nothing beats a 90s action movie. It’s a 9 for me!

TRENDING THREADS