• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Rate the 2023 Giro d'Italia Route

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate The Route (10 best, 1 worst)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Roma is also not Paris, where a sense of grandeur prevailed in its xix century redevelopment, for which you have the Tour Eiffel at the end of an enormous boulevard. By contrast, Roma has an ancient urban fabric with the only logistical place to finish the Giro being the Via dei Fori Imperiali (of fascist epoche), literally a platform emerging through ancient ruins. Here you parade through an epopea of Classical Antiquity, but where organizing a World Tour cycling race is highly problematical.
Saint Peter's Square

It's a fairly good route, and it doesn't get worse the more I look at it. Also very few boring sprint stages.

The Bondone stage is a missed opportunity though, as it has the perfect place for something more. I would have loved a Bondone - Faè stage, somewhat similar to what @Mayomaniac has proposed: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42358869
Oh yeah, that stage would be great. I'd also like to see a Trentino stage finishing in the Val di Sarca, something like this: https://www.cronoescalada.com/tracks/view/9485
That way they'd actually use Campo Carlo Magno/Madonna di Campiglio by climbing it from it's decent side and have Passo Daone used in a reasonable way, by climbing the more narrow side and using the wider road on the other side as a descent instead of the actually dangerous northern descent that they used in 2015 (if you're using that one you really can't say a thing about the Muro di Sormano or even Fauniera...).

That said, the side of Monte Bondone that they are using isn't bad at all, you have a hard section earlier that forces you to attack before the easier final 4kms.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sure.

If u think cycling is only about climbing mountains.
It is a pretty mediocre route. Giro has close to 10 very obvious options for those big climb/small climb combos that usually are the best chance for much action in mountain stages. None of these options are uses in this version. Most or all of the action will happen on the last climb on all the mountain stages. Also the toughest mountain stage comes just before that ridiculous MTT to Lussari.

Reactions: Big Doopie and KOM
It is a pretty mediocre route. Giro has close to 10 very obvious options for those big climb/small climb combos that usually are the best chance for much action in mountain stages. None of these options are uses in this version. Most or all of the action will happen on the last climb on all the mountain stages. Also the toughest mountain stage comes just before that ridiculous MTT to Lussari.
You don't think Stage 13 is the toughest mountain stage of the Giro?
I don't dislike this route. The problem that I usually have with the Giro is that the organizers back load the mountain stages. The ones in the first 2 weeks are a bit lazy like someone said here.

I don't dislike this route. The problem that I usually have with the Giro is that the organizers back load the mountain stages. The ones in the first 2 weeks are a bit lazy like someone said here.

That poster is only looking at the final climbs.

We shouldnt pay any attention to the fact that stage 13 will almost certainly have long range action

I do like the route. The first 2 weeks generally favor the TTers, with the final week focusing on the climbers needing to attack to earn back time

I see Passo Giau and Tre Cime and I like it already.

That stage better beliver! Along with Tour of Flanders, a super hard stage in the dolomites is what I breathe for when it comes to cycling. Thats the pinnacle for me! Mauro Vegni better get his *** together, I don't tolerate any cancellations and shortenings this time around. If this complete fool messes this up again Ill cry.

“Most or all of the action will happen on the last climb on all the mountain stages.”

Are you sure about that with the Roglic-Remco battle. They might go for an earlier intermediate sprint and just keep going ;)

• Love
Objectively I think 19 is harder. More altitude gain. Less descending. Less overall, basically no flat in the last 120km, with the stage going over 2000m 3 times and never going back to under 1000m for the final 120km or so.

Stage 13 has the two bigger climbs, but in terms of how it will be raced I think it's likely Grand Saint-Bernard will be done very slowly and action on Croix de Coeur is not super guaranteed.

Pretty excited about this route. Lots of opportunities for massive blowups and long rangers. Don’t think Roglic will be able to rely as much on his Catalunya strengths here, but in the Vuelta he seemed to be fading a bit less than Remco toward the end so that 3rd week will be unpredictable.

Oh yeah, that stage would be great. I'd also like to see a Trentino stage finishing in the Val di Sarca, something like this: https://www.cronoescalada.com/tracks/view/9485
That way they'd actually use Campo Carlo Magno/Madonna di Campiglio by climbing it from it's decent side and have Passo Daone used in a reasonable way, by climbing the more narrow side and using the wider road on the other side as a descent instead of the actually dangerous northern descent that they used in 2015 (if you're using that one you really can't say a thing about the Muro di Sormano or even Fauniera...).

That said, the side of Monte Bondone that they are using isn't bad at all, you have a hard section earlier that forces you to attack before the easier final 4kms.
I’ve also traced that exact route, it’s such a natural use of Daone.

I see Passo Giau and Tre Cime and I like it already.

That stage better beliver! Along with Tour of Flanders, a super hard stage in the dolomites is what I breathe for when it comes to cycling. Thats the pinnacle for me! Mauro Vegni better get his *** together, I don't tolerate any cancellations and shortenings this time around. If this complete fool messes this up again Ill cry.

Last year, you said you were done with the Giro, that it was a waste of your time.

What changed?

• Haha
Obvious heat of the moment is obvious. Do you take everything that literal? Of course Im not done with the Giro, but Vegni has really started to piss me off greatly. Ill still watch the big stages and nothing is bigger than a big day in that area, so of course Im hyped for that and pray to god he he doesnt find some way to ruin it either through not being able to broadcast it or cancel it for fun

• Wow
Obvious heat of the moment is obvious. Do you take everything that literal? Of course Im not done with the Giro, but Vegni has really started to piss me off greatly. Ill still watch the big stages and nothing is bigger than a big day in that area, so of course Im hyped for that and pray to god he he doesnt find some way to ruin it either through not being able to broadcast it or cancel it for fun
Vegni is clearly incompetant, one of those Italian mysteries of placing someone incapable of making good decisions in charge amongst a pool of excluded talent.

Last edited:

I don't think he wishes to do such things...

That's a fair point. The Bondone stage is a bit of a missed opportunity, like @Netserk said.
The other thing that I'd change is the stage 20 ITT, make it a Tarvis-Sella Nevea ITT and is much better. Similar length, but no over the top steep gradients, nothing that would potentially hinder the action on the Tre Cime stage.
NeveaE.gif

TRENDING THREADS