• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the Giro 2014

How was it for you?

• 10 - Worth watching every moment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 23, 2013
Visit site
I thought it was good. Not amazing, but good. The most disappointing aspect was that it had the potential to be incredibly good, but only really reached moderately good. Then again, in comparison with the first week it was amazing.

I rate it 6. For me the best stages were Kittel's supersprint in stage 3, Aru's daredevil attack and win on stage 15, Quintana & Hesjesdal in Stage 16, Bardiani wins & Rogers' wins. Unnecessary controversies however spoiled the Giro:rolleyes:.
Zoncolan proved to be a farce just like ventoux was in 2009 tour. Mountain time trials are literally unnecessary for what is already a mountainous third week. To really add spice a short, flatter timetrial would be the best for a penultimate stage. They got it correctly in 2012. I think that this Giro really missed the one person who would be like the cat among pigeons- Purito.

First dreadful, crash filled week sucked. Race got better as it proceeded. Stelviogate is a Big Minus. Especially enjoyed Mick! And I have a new young fav to follow; Angel Aru. Niaro's baby at the ceremony gets it another point :)

So overall it gets a 6.

Sad, time to change my avatar it is over :(

4/10 - First two weeks were pretty much all just dull stages or ruined by crashes. Breakaways in the final week were easily the best stages.

Good
Sestola, Oropa, Vittorio Veneto - Good races from the breakaway.
Montecampione - Some actual GC attacks, great attack from Aru.
Panarotta - Exciting final climb with break riders getting dropped and attacking a lot.

Ok
TTT, Viggiano, Foligno, Barolo, Cima Grappa, Trieste - Can't really complain about time trials and sprints. They are what they are.
Rivarolo Canavese - Nice to see the break get it but wasn't particularly interesting once FDJ gave up.
Val Martello - 'Epic' win, but the stage was just a total mess on the Stelvio.

Bad
Belfast, Dublin - Just boring stages and bad design. Nice moments for the fans but the racing was poor.
Bari, Montecassino, Salsomaggiore Terme - Ruined by crashes.
Savona - Could've been an interesting finale until Teflon Mick gets gifted the win (that would be dull whoever won it).
Montecopiolo - Just very dull. Ulissi wins a mtf? lol.
Zoncolan - Ruined by fans and nothing to race for for GC riders.

6 - and that's high by what took place. The 1st Half of the race was DULL- even the stages that were meant to provide some action ended up disastrously either by accidents, bad weather or lack of action. The last part of the 2nd week seemed to be picking up great to anticipate what was promising to be great 3rd week.....until stage 16 happened.....

Zomegnan PLEASE return!!!

4, but only because Aru was amazing and because I missed most of the first week. Quintana never had to attack once, he rode two mtt's and didn't even bother to show who was boss on the Zoncolan. If not for Aru and Weening, it would've been a solid 2

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Really enjoyed it and gave it an 8.

Loved the Irish stages although as LuckyBoy pointed out the racing wasn't fantastic.

Perhaps I enjoy the aesthetics more than most?

Thought stage 16 was fantastic and would probably have been a 6 without it.

GC action was quite good I thought although I suppose everyone always expected Quintana to win eventually.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Can i give it a 6.5? A 6 or 7 doesn't really represent my feelings.

Good things about this Giro
The ever attacking fighting spirit of Arredondo, who gets rewarded with a stage win and the blue jersey
A great Pierre Rolland, who showed he wasn't here only in service of the Tour, but shows the best thing to do on a bike is to go full out in every race you are (VDB, are you reading this?)
The way Ireland approached this Giro, with the media attention and all the exciting people alongside the road
The way the new generation took over this Giro. It's really refreshing to see the likes of Aru, Kelderman, Quintana and in lesser extent Uran and Majka fighting each other.
A couple good stages which provided some entertainment (Oropa, Montecampione, Barolo , Grappa and Sestola)
The stage to Val Martello, in all his aspects
The perfomances of Diego Ulissi, Michael Rogers, Enrico Battaglin, Nacer Bouhanni
The fighting spirit of Franco Pelizotti, Jarlinson Pantano, Fabio Duarte and Dario Cataldo

Bad things about his Giro
The crash of Dan Martin on the first day
The crash of Purito on stage 6 was a big blow
The fact a team like BMC ride the whole Giro in service for a guy who you know would max reach 8th place in GC
The fact you knew Quintana would win this Giro anyway after stage 6. Or already before the start
The bad coverage of the Rai in general. Too much irritating and unnecessary replays, bad time references, bad switches from the front group and favorites group in many stages
The Italian jury, who don't know what there doing and know what it means to organise a three week race

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Arredondo said:
Can i give it a 6.5? A 6 or 7 doesn't really represent my feelings.

Good things about this Giro
The ever attacking fighting spirit of Arredondo, who gets rewarded with a stage win and the blue jersey
A great Pierre Rolland, who showed he wasn't here only in service of the Tour, but shows the best thing to do on a bike is to go full out in every race you are (VDB, are you reading this?)
The way Ireland approached this Giro, with the media attention and all the exciting people alongside the road
The way the new generation took over this Giro. It's really refreshing to see the likes of Aru, Kelderman, Quintana and in lesser meaning Uran and Majka fighting each other.
A couple good stages which provided some entertainment (Oropa, Montecampione, Barolo , Grappa and Sestola)
The stage to Val Martello, in all his aspects
The perfomances of Diego Ulissi, Michael Rogers, Enrico Battaglin, Nacer Bouhanni
The fighting spirit of Franco Pelizotti, Jarlinson Pantano, Fabio Duarte and Dario Cataldo

Bad things about his Giro
The crash of Dan Martin on the first day
The crash of Purito on stage 6 was a big blow
The fact a team like BMC ride the whole Giro in service for a guy who you know would max reach 8th place in GC
The fact you knew Quintana would win this Giro anyway after stage 6. Or already before the start
The bad coverage of the Rai in general. Too much irritating and unnecessary replays, bad time references, bad switches from the front group and favorites group in many stages
The Italian jury, who don't know what there doing and know what it means to organise a three week race

Great Post ! :)

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Ruby United said:
Gave it a seven. May seem high but stelvio stage was one of the greatest stages in Giro history and saved the Giro.

The weird thing for me is that even though the stage was fantastic, the rest of the Giro would have been much better without it, as there would have been a closer GC battle, and Quintana might have had to attack more.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

Skipped the whole thing until the first ITT. It seems it was a good descision.
Good stages after that.
The CG was decided early? So what. It´s a Grand Tour. It´s the normal thing.
Love those MTT, and bad weather mountain stages. The riders hate it, but it´s pretty awesome watching it from a warm spot on the sofa. :D

TRENDING THREADS