• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the Giro 2014

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How was it for you?

• 10 - Worth watching every moment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
the only reason to keep it as 3 week gts is tradition/history/whatever-you-want-to-call it. Most of the stages are filler. Huge 6.

May 6, 2014
Visit site
It was a decent Giro. Had Quintana not lost time or had sickness/injury it would have been super boring. This Giro highlights to me how it is the riders that make the race, the Giro may have more mountains but the Tour really is on another level in terms of rider standard an preparedness.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Gave it a 3 (and at least one of those points is due to Sky doing nothing at all bwahaha!!!).

Just didn't do it for me I'm afraid. Let's be honest, it's only going to be remembered at all for the Stelvio stage and mostly because of controversy.

The organizers bet heavily on Zoncolan being a real race for La Maglia Rosa.....and lost.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
i think this was definitely a cleaner giro. so 7.

Rolland made it watchable for me. breakaways got their chances.
the sprints became predictable. i missed kittel and jrod. but crashes should decide a GT anyways.
Aru gave a real fight whenever he could.

Stage 16 was the biggest disappointment. i just hope tht the organizers cancel such stages, or convert it to a TT.

I thought the route was pretty darn tough and would deliver high drama, but I ended up being very disappointed. There were lead changes, but no real battling. I couldn't believe how boring the Zoncolon stage was.

Stelviogate was a huge let down and while it created soap opera drama it removed actual racing drama.

Quintana seemed able to whip everyone without breathing hard despite being sick and hurt.

The big plus for me was seeing all the young GC guys competing for the top 10.

I should not rate it as I stopped watching after Stelvio stage.
As much as I hated first week I loved situation after the first ITT. I started to believe there is an exceptional GT in front of us with epic GC fight in spite of the fact that Purito is out. Everything went down the toilet with some italian idiot on Twitter and some idiotic DSs. After this stage Giro was over.
Nairo is true winner but I hate that race was decided like this

After Stelvio I watched live only Zoncolan stage witch was pretty pathetic with pathetic winner.

Plus: Uran-Poels, Aru, Rolland ,Pozzovivo, Kittel brutal win, Matthews defens of pink jersey, Nairo´s and colombian celebration
Minus: Ireland stage design, ridiculous back loading, Kittel leaving before the first climb, Cannondale (Basso, Viviani, Moser ....), Zoncolan stage ......

SKSemtex said:
As much as I hated first week I loved situation after the first ITT. I started to believe there is an exceptional GT in front of us with epic GC fight in spite of the fact that Purito is out. Everything went down the toilet with some italian idiot on Twitter and some idiotic DSs. After this stage Giro was over.

After Stelvio I watched live only Zoncolan stage witch was pretty pathetic with pathetic winner.

Plus: Uran-Poels, Aru, Rolland ,Pozzovivo, Kittel brutal win, Matthews defens of pink jersey, Nairo´s and colombian celebration
Minus: Ireland stage design, ridiculous back loading, Kittel leaving before the first climb, Cannondale (Basso, Viviani, Moser ....), Zoncolan stage ......

You calling Mickey Rogers pathetic?:mad:

Ruby United said:
You calling Mickey Rogers pathetic?:mad:

I got to agree that the Zoncolon stage was a horrible let down. If they didn't have the stage it wouldn't have made a difference in the final standings other than Evans and Kelderman swapped spots.

The podium was either too far out of reach or the GC guys were too tired to do anything on the stage so they let the break go. Rogers was really the only serious climber in the break. It was a given. Great ride by him and good job getting in the break, but there was not anything close to an epic battle on that stage.

Quintana's raid on stelvio descent definitely ruined the race. He likely would have still won, but that took all the fight out of everyone else.

Would have given it an 8 but will drop a point for the orgnisational problems re Stelvio, lack of security on Zoncolan, some dodgy sprint finishes and often inaccurate time checks and not knowing who was where on the road. Sometimes though there must have been a shortage of camera bikes as a lot of footage was being shot from above through the trees. Oh well. The Tour is much more professionally run but I enjoyed the race even though Quintana was going to be the obvious winner after the Stelvio stage. Best stage finish had to be the Battaglin stage win. Incredible. The second ITT was also one of the better ones of recent years.

offbyone said:
I got to agree that the Zoncolon stage was a horrible let down. If they didn't have the stage it wouldn't have made a difference in the final standings other than Evans and Kelderman swapped spots.

The podium was either too far out of reach or the GC guys were too tired to do anything on the stage so they let the break go. Rogers was really the only serious climber in the break. It was a given. Great ride by him and good job getting in the break, but there was not anything close to an epic battle on that stage.

Quintana's raid on stelvio descent definitely ruined the race. He likely would have still won, but that took all the fight out of everyone else.

+1

I do agree that zoncolan was a let down, but I do think Mick Rogers is a suitable Victor.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
If the first week had been exciting and not a snoozefest, this would have been an immensely entertaining Giro. So much attacking, drama, and GC reordering!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Just a quick comparison of Tour top 5 GC riders on MTFs and this Giro. Which would you prefer?

Giro
st 8 5 seconds give or take
st 9 0 seconds
st 14 14 seconds
st 15 42 seconds (well done Aru finally some balls)
st 16 3:37 Thanks organisers, of the guys riding together...43 seconds
st 18 6 seconds
st 20 16 seconds.
8 MTFs that 2 minutes and 6 seconds, or 5 minutes depedning on how you take st 16.
Tour
st 8 1:16
st 15 1:40
st 18 1:10
st 20 2:17
so quickly 6:23 in 4 MTFs.
Why was it different? There was no incentive to push on the Giro mountains, if you don't take time today, you can do it tomorrow, and they were spaced for survival.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I was going to give it a 7 but then Cadel's pace dropped off - however Mick Rogers rode well so I gave it a pass or 5 for those tabulating the results.

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
4-lame racing,which is strange with those superb climbs used in this Giro.2 great stages Val Martello(if you ignore officials crap) and Monte Grappa don't save a GT.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I gave it a high 4.
What I think the raced lacked was more dare devil, more cojones.
Todays cycling is so clinic, so predictable, and oh so boring sometimes, but I am glad we found the right winner, and I would say the podium was deserved.

One optimistic thing though, was that more breakaways had success than we usually see, but I wouldnt count on it in the tour.

For me the best GC is without a doubt the Vuelta, its a mess. :D

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
SKSemtex said:

Plus: Uran-Poels, Aru, Rolland ,Pozzovivo, Kittel brutal win, Matthews defens of pink jersey, Nairo?s and colombian celebration

you sound like a very angry young man, you should try some anger management. ;)

Butterhead said:
you sound like a very angry young man, you should try some anger management. ;)

Not at all. I have just somehow lost the interest after that stage. (plus for the first time this year I gave the work priority to cycling) I was not angry. Quintana is well deserved winner but too predictable after that stage. As everybody I would prefer some "angliru vuelta 2013" end of this Giro.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Gave it a 5. Rather weak Giro. There was never a feeling of great battle between the contenders, Quintana took the lead easy...

TRENDING THREADS