• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the Vuelta Route

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How do you rate the route of the Vuelta 2016 on a scale of 1-10?

• Below 0

Votes: 5 9.4%

Votes: 1 1.9%

Votes: 7 13.2%

Votes: 11 20.8%

Votes: 6 11.3%

Votes: 10 18.9%

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • More than 5, I really do hate cycling

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
One thing the route has going for it, is that they will be spending a lot of time in the regions with the worst weather. There's a decent chance of a couple of very wet and windy stages which could make even an easyish stage interesting. I guess for the riders that is also better than having many stages in Andalucia at around 40 degrees, when no-one could attack even if they wanted to - like we had in the last few editions.

That is a good point, maybe the weather can make things interesting.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
I think they want Purito to finally win it?
No, otherwise they would have skipped the TTT and made a hilly ITT instead of a flat one. There will have to be bonus seconds and he will have to win at least 3 stages. And he is one of these guys who gains 10 secs on a stage, not a minute because he doesn't attack until the final couple of K's.

Quintana will be tried after Tour. And he is not explosive enough. Moreno, Ion and even Betancur could be potentially better.

I heard that Landa is going to be Sky's captain and I think he is going to win this. He just have to sit behind Kiryienka in the time trial. If Contador shows up, it's between him and Landa. I think Contador will fail in the Tour but will be eagered to at least win the Vuelta.

Re: Re:

WheelofGear said:
Escarabajo said:
I think they want Purito to finally win it?
No, otherwise they would have skipped the TTT and made a hilly ITT instead of a flat one. There will have to be bonus seconds and he will have to win at least 3 stages. And he is one of these guys who gains 10 secs on a stage, not a minute because he doesn't attack until the final couple of K's.

Quintana will be tried after Tour. And he is not explosive enough. Moreno, Ion and even Betancur could be potentially better.

I heard that Landa is going to be Sky's captain and I think he is going to win this. He just have to sit behind Kiryienka in the time trial. If Contador shows up, it's between him and Landa. I think Contador will fail in the Tour but will be eagered to at least win the Vuelta.

A tired Quintana is still a better option than those three imo. Quintana's schedule is very light and thoughtful, almost conservative like his riding style sometimes. Moreno is getting older and as far as I know, he is riding the Tour. All those years he has been riding the Vuelta and been doing great, he has not ridden the Tour to my memory and I dont even think he gets to go to the Vuelta, according to PCS. Betancur? I dont expect anything from him in the Vuelta, but it could be funny to see him shine. Ion is the interesting thing - he is not super explosive, but has shown in Pais Vasco that he is super good at tough hilly stuff and altho his Giro GC failed last year, it looks like he will only ride the Vuelta this year and with Valverde probably not doing it and Quintana doing Tour-Olympics as his main targets (Vuelta is still a target), it would be natural for Izaguirre to attempt to stay in the GC and see how much he can handle. I still believe he can ride a good GC in a Vuelta where he is fresh and everyone else not necessarily is in an Olympic year.

If Landa is team leader for the Vuelta without having ridden the Tour he's gonna be the big favourite if he can confirm last year's Giro in May. Contador, Froome and Quintana have enough class to be competitive for 2 GT's in 3 months, but it takes too much out of them to be good enough to win.

Re:

Red Rick said:
If Landa is team leader for the Vuelta without having ridden the Tour he's gonna be the big favourite if he can confirm last year's Giro in May. Contador, Froome and Quintana have enough class to be competitive for 2 GT's in 3 months, but it takes too much out of them to be good enough to win.

What about whichever Astana leader sits out the Tour? Surely Aru or Nibali would have to be considered a bigger favourite than Landa. Especially on a course with relatively little opportunity to gain big time in the mountains.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
I don't know, without the fever on the Andorra stage Quintana would have been competitive at the Vuelta, but this year everyone will try to peak for Tour and Olympics, so I can't really see those who ride the whole Tour for the gc doing well at the Vuelta.

railxmig said:
@Libertine_Seguros. Is there any chance of wind action in one of those Unipublic MTF stages? I remember i think in 2012 there was something on a stage to Valdezcaray where Sky and Katiusha tried something on crosswinds and Valverde was caught in a crash losing a minute or close to it. Similar to what happened in Tour 2013. I found a profile of this stage - it was basically an Unipublic stage but with a steep cat. 1 in the first part.
2012_vuelta_a_espana_stage4_profile_live_tv.png

This is the shire I use to train.. it i windy, but that day was especially windy and hot (I climbed Valdezcaray as well), It was a wide road, and it was just luck, the wind was hard and in the right direction, but as well there was luck with the movement of Flecha that put movistar down and split the race...

The day of La Camperona something similar could happen, but I would have prefer to go for the mountains than the plain. it is a dissapointment for me althout there i no big mountains there. But the propbloemss is thay came from the south, and all the terrein is flat.

This is such a slap in face of any decent 3 week tour. 2 1/2 decent stages but overall just tired and with all the imagination of a grain of rice.

Try again in 2017, Unipublic - not that anyone should expect anything based on recent developments.

TRENDING THREADS