• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rear facing dropout on TT frames

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi am looking at upgrading my TT frame:) and have no experience with this system except on track bikes.

My question, in the heat of the moment, just finished your warm up, are due on the start line in 10 mins, you are pumped, is this a quick and easy system to change your training wheel over quickly to your race wheel. Or will you be fumbling trying to it right:eek:.

I have to admit that it always takes me 4 to 5 goes to get the adjust correct on my track bike:(, will this be the same.

Cheers

basket98 said:
Hi am looking at upgrading my TT frame:) and have no experience with this system except on track bikes.

My question, in the heat of the moment, just finished your warm up, are due on the start line in 10 mins, you are pumped, is this a quick and easy system to change your training wheel over quickly to your race wheel. Or will you be fumbling trying to it right:eek:.

I have to admit that it always takes me 4 to 5 goes to get the adjust correct on my track bike:(, will this be the same.

Cheers

Make sure chain is on small/small combo. Pull wheel straight aft a LONG way, hook finger under chain and take off cogset. New wheel, pull chain way aft, around cog, wheel into frame. Expect to get yer fingers dirty.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
How are you warming up, on a trainer, or on the road? Either way, use your race wheels that you got ready the night before. You'll be prepared, no stress, on time, and no fumbling around with equipment. Leave your training wheels at home for training, there's no point to bring training wheels to a TT, and you're not going to wear your race tires out warming up for a handful of TT's per year if that's what you're worried about. Once you get proficient at wheel changes and adjustments bring the lot if need be, but I always have my race set up ready to go night before, road, CX, track, TT, whatever is on the menu. Easy enough, right? ;) In fact, lots of folks just bring their regular road bikes to warm up on instead of changing around their race rig for specialty events. Track is a different story if you're doing multiple events when you have to do a few cog changes.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Klien had these dropouts 15 years ago and they claimed to be the fastest wheel change.
I rode with them for some time before I could do a fast wheel change but one day the penny droped and I was able to make a fast wheel change.

But only draw back was the black hands after Dont use white bar tape.