• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Recent doping cases in USA

Two new doping cases in the US, one comical, one tragi-serious:

1. Andy Crater gets a three-month suspended ban for smoking pot.
2. Duane "Dewey" Dickey gets a life-ban for using and possessing EPO, refusing to submit to an OOC test, and refusing to cooperate with USADA - all of which constitute his second anti-doping violation.

Discuss.

(Note date on Dickey's second violation goes back to April 2007 :eek:)

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Good for them. You use then accept the consequences. Dewey committed professional suicide, END OF STORY... Hope he enjoy's asking folks if they want fries with their happy meals.

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:

2. Duane "Dewey" Dickey gets a life-ban for using and possessing EPO, refusing to submit to an OOC test, and refusing to cooperate with USADA - all of which constitute his second anti-doping violation.

Discuss.

We'll discuss whatever. You, doper, are not welcome.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:

Discuss.

Was Dewey a customer?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
drb716 said:

He is as welcome as anyone else.

Joe doped - we know. He has as much right to start a thread as you or I.

Even Duane Dickey is welcome here - in fact I would love to hear more about this case.
As he refused a OOC because he knew he would return a positive for medications that were part of a TUE they were awaiting from USADA.
It sounds terrible until he went positive for EPO!!! We could have a new contender for best/worse excuses.

A

Anonymous

drb716 said:

Perfectly welcome as far as im concerned. You, insulter however are not. :D

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't get WADA's marijuana prohibition...

I understand that it's mostly illegal in most countries, and I'm not looking to open up a discussion about that here. But I don't understand how it might enhance athletic performance - in fact I'd assume quite the opposite. Smoking something that dulls one's mental edge - hammering the lungs and brain at the same time - seems more performance reducing than enhancing.

I recall the Canadian snowboarder from Torino who tested positive for pot and then claimed that it was due to proximity to his stoner friends, not because he actually fired up the herb himself. I LOLed at that one because, having spent a couple of years in my early 20's as a Vail Valley ski bum, I have certainly witnessed many friends' THC-enhanced performances. None of these guys/gals were Olympic-caliber competitors, however.

So why is grass on the banned list? Is there evidence that it can actually enhance athletic performance? Or are the rule-makers just high (metaphorically, that is)?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It's nice to see some leniency in the Crater case, marijuana is only banned in competition, however it can take a month to clear your system. Meanwhile people are using EPO and test on a daily basis and not going positive.:confused:

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
The only reason THC is on the list (apart for things like archery or shooting), is the American War on Drugs lobby. It's banned because it's illegal in the States, certainly not 'cause it's going to help you drop someone in a crit...

Idiocy...

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
powerste said:
So why is grass on the banned list? Is there evidence that it can actually enhance athletic performance? Or are the rule-makers just high (metaphorically, that is)?

Big danger from pot-heads boring the rest of the peleton into submission.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
powerste said:

It is banned because it artificially inflates a riders ability to consume massive amounts of carbs so that they have an unfair carb load ;)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
The only reason THC is on the list (apart for things like archery or shooting), is the American War on Drugs lobby. It's banned because it's illegal in the States, certainly not 'cause it's going to help you drop someone in a crit...

Idiocy...

Pretty much what I was figuring too...

Double idiocy - on out gov't and our anti-doping agencies. Hardly surprising in either case!

I never smoked or even tried tried any narcotics, but I do have this experience with pot and cycling. One time after evening school, 2 class mates lighted up joints waiting for a bus. I hang with them, not really eager to go home (parents). Just the proximity to the smoke seemed to have an odd effect on the way I rode home. I was expected any effect to be that like a drunk sailor, but in reality the experience was that of blazing through the street, failing to build up lactate. For me, passive pot smoking seemed to be a booster of some kind. I never tried it again though, and still claim that pot in Holland is mostly for tourists. I know no-one who still lights one at any frequently.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
In the 90s, before THC was on the banned list, I knew more US-based pros who smoked reef than did not. Plenty used it while training, plenty used it before racing.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
drb716 said:
Apologies all around, and especially to JP. I gave vent to a vicious side when not at all warranted, and I ask pardon.
Thanks

Wow, dude, I AM impressed by a real apology. Kudos!

Squares said:
It is banned because it artificially inflates a riders ability to consume massive amounts of carbs so that they have an unfair carb load ;)

Hhehe! Ya, uh, like, wow man. Ya, I'll take some more brownies! LMAO. Thx for the chuckle!