• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Recommendations for a good race mag.

With every issue of VeloNews delivered to me, the less I find interesting or informative. Since it´s the only magazine I get in english, I would very much appreciate any recommendations anyone can give me for a magazine that covers international road racing in english.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Have you looked at Procycling? I'm not just bringing that up as a suggestion because it's part of the Future publishing family, either. I've been reading it for years.

James Huang said:
Have you looked at Procycling? I'm not just bringing that up as a suggestion because it's part of the Future publishing family, either. I've been reading it for years.

I have last August´s post Tour issue I bought when I was in nyc. I´ll check it again. Probably cheaper shipping than Velonews since it would be UK to Spain.

Tubularglue; I´ll check out roadmagazine which I´m not familiar with.

Thanks guys.

A

Anonymous

Tangled Tango said:
With every issue of VeloNews delivered to me, the less I find interesting or informative. Since it´s the only magazine I get in english, I would very much appreciate any recommendations anyone can give me for a magazine that covers international road racing in english.

Thanks in advance.

You can look through some of the magazines at http://www.zinio.com. I'm been unemployed for quite a while, so I go there to read some articles in Cycle Sport (like it a lot) and Cycling Weekly. Road Bike Action usually only has a full preview of the most recent issue, but the others are out there in full. You can zoom on 3 double pages to read or print. Clearing cookies will let you go back for more.

If you want to give Cycle Sport UK a good look, they posted their best articles of the year online. The interview with Contador after the Tour, and with Cavendish talking about Milan-San Remo, were brilliant.
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/436127/cycle-sport-s-big-read-of-the-year-2009.html

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Best bike mag is RIDE magazine. I have read velonews' mag and procycling and RIDE owns all of those.

They also don't butter up to Lance too much. They do a history/retrospective article every issue and they did one on him and all the dopers coming back with him on there. they give both sides to the story. They also did one on the history of the vuelta and spainish cycling. very interesting.

auscyclefan94 said:
Best bike mag is RIDE magazine. I have read velonews' mag and procycling and RIDE owns all of those.

They also don't butter up to Lance too much. They do a history/retrospective article every issue and they did one on him and all the dopers coming back with him on there. they give both sides to the story. They also did one on the history of the vuelta and spainish cycling. very interesting.

I concur with Auscyclefan about RIDE magazine. Only comes 3 monthly though and at weird times as well but each issue is well over 200 pages. It is a thick bastard. They haves sections on,

Paraphenellia - ie.new gear, wheelsets, sunglasses, clothing etc.

A retro-review section - Where they go back and take an indepth view at bikes from previous years. ie. I really like the one a few issues back on Pedro Delgado's tour bike.

New Bike reviews - They have atleast five bikes reviewed each issue. Every type. Road, cyclocross, TT, titanium etc.

Cyclist blogs - I think in 09 they had Tim Duggan from Garmin and last issue there was a very interesting blog by Mark Renshaw on how and why Mark Cavendish has an edge in sprints over Thor Hushovd.

Plus the usual write ups on the major races. ie. Last issue had major write ups about the Vuelta, Worlds and one on where the TdF went wrong for Cadel Evans

Here is the website where you can get a subscription for it. http://www.ridemedia.com.au They post worldwide but it will probably cost you an arm and a leg though. The Jan/Feb/March issue should be out soon. So order now if you want it.

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
I've bought alot of the cycling magazines and for me, the best one in English is ProCycling, it's not too national biased, good features, wide range of riders, most results printed, rider columns (Martin, Hoj) and of course Savio on the back pages.

Other than that Velo Magazine in french has always been good, but haven't bought it since the redesign in October.

auscyclefan94 said:
They also did one on the history of the vuelta and spainish cycling. very interesting.

I agree that RIDE is head and shoulders above the rest. Was that article on the history of the Vuelta and Spanish cycling in the latest issue? We don't get them on our newstands here in the states until generally several months later. If not the latest issue could you tell me which issue the article was in?
Thanks! I promise to be nicer to Cadel if you do!;)

theswordsman said:
You can look through some of the magazines at http://www.zinio.com. I'm been unemployed for quite a while, so I go there to read some articles in Cycle Sport (like it a lot) and Cycling Weekly. Road Bike Action usually only has a full preview of the most recent issue, but the others are out there in full. You can zoom on 3 double pages to read or print. Clearing cookies will let you go back for more.

If you want to give Cycle Sport UK a good look, they posted their best articles of the year online. The interview with Contador after the Tour, and with Cavendish talking about Milan-San Remo, were brilliant.
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/436127/cycle-sport-s-big-read-of-the-year-2009.html

Thanks for the zinio.com tip! Found some contradictory Armstrong quotes that will be handy in future debates!:D

A

Anonymous

I don't mind Cycle Sport...they do some good retro stuff and the photography is pretty good as well...probably not the best out there, but for 90 bucks for a two year subscription it ain't bad.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
I agree that RIDE is head and shoulders above the rest. Was that article on the history of the Vuelta and Spanish cycling in the latest issue? We don't get them on our newstands here in the states until generally several months later. If not the latest issue could you tell me which issue the article was in?

That article on the Vuelta and Spanish cycling was in the issue no. 46. The current issue (no. 47) has just gone on sale here (I received it yesterday being a subscriber).

FYI, Bicycling Australia did a story on the L'Angliru climb in the latest edition. Man than looks like a killer!

Angliru said:

Yeah it was the latest issue. One with picture of Cadel on the front cover winning the worlds. But as the poster above me said the new one should be out to the general public any day now.

biker jk said:
That article on the Vuelta and Spanish cycling was in the issue no. 46. The current issue (no. 47) has just gone on sale here (I received it yesterday being a subscriber).

FYI, Bicycling Australia did a story on the L'Angliru climb in the latest edition. Man than looks like a killer!

I live in the area, but have yet to even consider it. I´d need a compact. It´s off the chart with long stretches at over 20%. A total killer climb. Watching Contador attack and win the Vuelta on it is what made me a Contador fan.

Back to mags: So far I like procycling. Haven´t checked out Ride, but plan to.

auscyclefan94 said:

Is this the RIDE mag you are talking about?

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Ride is an excellent magazine as is Rouleur which is becoming a collectors mag.
Procycling for me is the best one in U.K. cyclesport is sometimes ok but has a love in with Armstrong too much.If you like retro stuff try buying International cycle sport often found on ebay it was class in its time.;)

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
WINNING in the early 90's

used to have really long race reports of the classics

had less of those adverts for stupid sh*t (dimpled carbon, vector analysis etc)

nice pics

Not tabloid w*nk

Momentum is my fave now- Transport Cycling mag

biker jk said:

Thanks for the tip!

We get Bicycling Australia here too! I'll have to look for that issue. I regret there not being any available dvd's of the 2008 Vuelta since they climbed the Angliru with Contador coming out victorious & Valverde reaching the summit 2nd.
A beast of a climb!

TRENDING THREADS