• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Red Jersey

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
boardhanger said:
I hate it !! Why is the Tour Of Spain treated 2nd classed,. Always???

Why does the red colored jersey = second class??

I think they are trying to set the tour of Spain apart from the other tours, ei. pink for giro, yellow for tour, red for Vuelta.

Gold was pretty close to yellow, so I guess it sets it apart more from the tour.

There was an article on cycling news explaining this earlier last week, saying they wanted to piggy back on the red color being all about spain sports, example is the red color being Spains color in the World Cup.

Red does not mean second class, the Vuelta might seem second class because it is the last grand tour and it is for riders looking to redeem their seasons/build for worlds.

I dont understand the Red= Second class argument????

red colour means La Roja, I mean, the colour of spain in international competitions, specially there is this fever with "La Roja", the nickname of the spanish national football team who has won the Eurocup and now the Wold Cup.

That's why, the organisers decided to change and find a colour which is meaningfull.

Red is also a colour that can be identify with the other spanish national event: corrida

In fact the original jersey was designed by trendy-fashion designer Custo Dalmau, and the red featured black marks as those of a tiger, lion, etc. In fact the spanish feline "gato montes". I find the jersey awfull with those black marks, anyway the organisers decided to make this awfullness more softly and now the red looks just red, which is straight and I like it.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
PhiberAwptik said:
Your threads are really just the ramblings of an old curmmudgeon. Why are you so angry about such minor details.
Every thread I have read from the OP is troll bait. Everyone of them. He seems as bitter as his avatar pic.

A

Anonymous

I like it, red is spain, makes perfect sense. never did like the gold one

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I'd like it if it were well established by now and I didn't get the feeling they'll change it again in 5 years.

That is the problem, the organisers are allways changing the jerseys, classifications (the "combinada" classification, WTF is that?)...

hrotha said:
I'd like it if it were well established by now and I didn't get the feeling they'll change it again in 5 years.

Understandable point. Maybe Unipublic is searching for some new cool identity. On a bit different note, the old gold wasn't really gold. If they had a gold that was more along the lines of what Cippo wore in the 1999 Tour de France (the one his whole team wore and got fined for)... now that would be cool.

Menndo said:
That is the problem, the organisers are allways changing the jerseys, classifications (the "combinada" classification, WTF is that?)...

The combined classification has been around for a long time in various races, it's for the person who is best all-round the other classifications. They add up your position in the GC, points and KOM classifications and the rider with the lowest total wins. Unfortunately, it's pretty much universally won by the winner, so is usually worn by another GC contender; the last rider to win it but not win the GC was Alejandro Valverde in 2003.

The problem is, unlike the Tour or Giro, the Vuelta was not started with a sponsor whose key colours were as clear (the yellow of L'Equipe and pink of La Gazzetta dello Sport are well known), nor did the initial sponsor stay on long enough that the colour was ingrained enough to be kept. The shift to red was almost inevitable when Ahorra Energia took over as prime sponsor, for the same reason as we had the 'maillot butano' in the 80s, and the blue points jersey became the fish jersey a few years ago. The KOM always used to be orange, but that changed to dark red with the rise of Euskaltel. In 2007, for reasons unknown, the dark red mountains jersey and blue points jersey swapped over. Last year, the points jersey changed from blue to green as a sop to the ASO; this year the KOM changed primarily because the old KOM jersey would clash with the new red leaders' jersey.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The Vuelta is treated as 2nd class as long as i've known cycling. That's long. It's a good race but radical changes every 2-3 years is hurting the race. Even the stage transistions this year would make 1960 look like a walk in the park.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
boardhanger said:
The Vuelta is treated as 2nd class as long as i've known cycling. That's long. It's a good race but radical changes every 2-3 years is hurting the race. Even the stage transistions this year would make 1960 look like a walk in the park.

I think you just answered your own question in the original post.

The colour change to red has nothing to do with sponsorship. It was an idea of Guillen, the head of Unipublic, following the succes of "La Roja". That's not personality, that's jumping in the bandwagon. And for the rest of jerseys, they are following the ASO lines (same with the webpage).

I don't like it becouse it doesn't stand out. It's difficult to identify the leader in the pack. It would be better to have a more intense red.

Anyway, it's about ****ing time that they stick to the some colours for every jersey forever.

TRENDING THREADS