• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Reduce the Number of Cars and Motos!

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Buffalo Soldier said:
All this threads and discussions about rider safety, and not a single mention of the prescription painkillers they take during the race?

That is a reasonable point of discussion, but since this thread is not in the clinic, we can't talk about it here, even if it may be a large elephant in the room.

Re:

Buffalo Soldier said:
All this threads and discussions about rider safety, and not a single mention of the prescription painkillers they take during the race?
A rider taking enough painkillers to affect their navigational skills would be bad. Having recovered from enough surgeries using opoids for pain relief I never felt like doing anything; let alone racing.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Beech Mtn said:
Buffalo Soldier said:

That is a reasonable point of discussion, but since this thread is not in the clinic, we can't talk about it here, even if it may be a large elephant in the room.
I might be wrong, but I thought the clinic was for doping talk? I'm talking about a completely legal and widespread practice that severely limits riders reflexes.
When talking about rider safety, it is good to mention motorbikes, but for every moto related accident there are about 100 that only involve riders.
I know this is slightly off topic, but it would be a pity of an important point like this should be banned to the pit of hell called the clinic...

Buffalo Soldier said:
Beech Mtn said:
Buffalo Soldier said:

I might be wrong, but I thought the clinic was for doping talk? I'm talking about a completely legal and widespread practice that severely limits riders reflexes.
When talking about rider safety, it is good to mention motorbikes, but for every moto related accident there are about 100 that only involve riders.
I know this is slightly off topic, but it would be a pity of an important point like this should be banned to the pit of hell called the clinic...
This thread is about the effect motorized vehicles have on a race.

jmdirt said:
Buffalo Soldier said:
Beech Mtn said:
Buffalo Soldier said:

Like when riders do 40mph, riding about a yard behind a team car to rejoin the peloton. What could possibly go wrong ?

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Lequack said:
They say the motorbike is not to blame and he would've died anyway :mad:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/demoitie-autopsy-cannot-confirm-motorbike-was-cause-of-death/

Just makes me mad at such disregard for cyclists lives. Not just in races mind you.

I think the article is badly written.

"Cannot be blamed" seems to imply the motorcycle is not to blame, as your post reflects. However, that's not the conclusion of the autopsy. The conclusion is:

“The cause of death was due to a blow to the back of the skull base, which resulted in death by cerebral haemorrhage but the pathologist cannot determine if the injury resulted from the rider’s crash or the moto’s impact,”

This just means that the pathologist cannot determine if the injury was caused by the crash or being hit by the motor afterwards. It does not say that being hit was not the cause, just that the injury could have been sustained either way, based on the autopsy alone.

Now, I think I've read a witness statement of him standing up after the crash. Maybe the combination of the two, the severity of the head wound and him getting up after the crash, will help law enforcement in determining the motorcycle as the cause. I don't know.

Eyeballs Out said:
jmdirt said:
Buffalo Soldier said:
Beech Mtn said:
Buffalo Soldier said:

Like when riders do 40mph, riding about a yard behind a team car to rejoin the peloton. What could possibly go wrong ?
That would be one example, and even if nothing goes wrong, that can effect the race. When I started this post I was thinking more about all of the "neutral" cars and motos, but teams autos could be tossed in too.

Here's a perhaps somewhat crazy thought.

After the Viviani accident I read someone (Knaven, maybe?) saying that certain parts of the route - such as Arenberg - should be stationary cameras only.
What if those cameras filmed in B&W? I'd say it would make for a pretty cool viewer experience. :cool:

TRENDING THREADS