• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Reduce the Number of Cars and Motos!

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Lequack said:
benzwire said:
Lequack said:
They're going to be using electric motorbikes at tour of California that starts today. Still not the solution but they're supposed to be much less bulky.

Source:
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-california-use-electric-motos-stage-six-time-trial-326221

I was at the first 2 stages of the Women's Tour of California and the motorbikes seemed exactly the same. They look and sound the same, so I don't know if that will change with the men's race, but they certainly aren't any smaller. Most had 2 guys on them. Still going to be a major problem if they collide with a bicycle.

Yeah apparently they will only use it for the TT stage, according to the article. So I guess in the women's race they were using the regular bikes.
What about sound though? Will they just be honking constantly (hope not) or playing some mp3s from Need For Speed? :D
Guess no issue for the TT but with the peloton during the stages... :Question:

From Cav:
..."I just hope that doesn't happen, you know, for any sport. It's kind of a big problem in cycling right now. Not this race, but just in cycling right now the motorbikes are influencing a big part of the race, and I just hope that doesn't happen."

RedheadDane said:
jmdirt said:
From Cav:
..."I just hope that doesn't happen, you know, for any sport. It's kind of a big problem in cycling right now. Not this race, but just in cycling right now the motorbikes are influencing a big part of the race, and I just hope that doesn't happen."

He hopes what doesn't happen?

He's talking about the 2016 Tour of California when he was in the break which got caught and they considered the motorbikes influenced that. He was hoping it doesn't reoccur in this year's race.

Unfortunate accident yesterday in the last climb of the Vuelta stage to Balcon de Bizkaia with a team car involved. Burgos BH rider Jordi Simon crashed when he was at the back of the peloton with one of the Katusha cars and then he hit the guardrail. He has fractures in 5 ribs, both scapulas and one of his humerus as well as a lung concusion. He's in hospital in a stable condition and fully conscius, awaiting for further medical checks and possible surgery.

http://www.marca.com/ciclismo/vuelta-espana/2018/09/12/5b99269346163feb5b8b4624.html?cid=SIN13703

Re:

ice&fire said:
Unfortunate accident yesterday in the last climb of the Vuelta stage to Balcon de Bizkaia with a team car involved. Burgos BH rider Jordi Simon crashed when he was at the back of the peloton with one of the Katusha cars and then he hit the guardrail. He has fractures in 5 ribs, both scapulas and one of his humerus as well as a lung concusion. He's in hospital in a stable condition and fully conscius, awaiting for further medical checks and possible surgery.

http://www.marca.com/ciclismo/vuelta-espana/2018/09/12/5b99269346163feb5b8b4624.html?cid=SIN13703

I would have though that Cycling News would have had something about it. I heard it on Spanish TV and then in their cycling press but not seen anywhere else. CN also didn't report the incident in Quebec when Nuno Bico broke his collarbone when colliding with a dog on the course

mariposa said:
ice&fire said:

I would have though that Cycling News would have had something about it. I heard it on Spanish TV and then in their cycling press but not seen anywhere else. CN also didn't report the incident in Quebec when Nuno Bico broke his collarbone when colliding with a dog on the course

I knew Bico broke his collarbone, but not the cause of the crash. Wow, just wow.
Hope Simon will be alright.

Koronin said:
mariposa said:
ice&fire said:

I knew Bico broke his collarbone, but not the cause of the crash. Wow, just wow.
Hope Simon will be alright.

I saw the news on Twitter re Nuno and thought he had collided with the dog but seems he was trying to avoid it. There were photos but cannot find them now looked like a pit bull. Here is Movistar report. http://movistarteam.com/en/2018-09-07/2018-gp-Quebec.
Agree hope Jordi heals quickly sounds nasty.

Yeah, ***...

Poor guy seems to be in a lot of pain. Should stop filming him...
Yeah, I don't understand why they need to keep showing him for so long. As soon as it was obvious he would not be able to continue the race, there was no point in showing him anymore. Maybe later show him for a few seconds as he stands up to confirm his injuries are not that severe and that's it.

It's kind of similar how in stage races they sometimes will keep showing a big name rider who has a bad day half the time for an hour even though he is 3-5-10 minutes behind the main group and obviously not coming back. It doesn't really add anything. I don't know if people really want to watch this kind of suffering or it's just the TV crew who think they want.