• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

request to CN: verify weights

When you post a sub-title for a story like New F1 frame is just 800g unless you weighed it yourself, please use "claimed".

It's known Felt reports weights without paint or clear-coat. Pinarello reports frames without paint, clear-coat, derailleur hangers, bottom bracket shells. Guru leaves off the derailleur hanger.

Basically manufacturer-reported weight isn't worth much.

So saying "is" compromises your credibility and makes the site seem like it's acting as a shill for company marketers. To be fair, CN has a nice record of weighing stuff when it's available; it would be better to be more consistent, however.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
djconnel said:
When you post a sub-title for a story like New F1 frame is just 800g unless you weighed it yourself, please use "claimed".
It's known Felt reports weights without paint or clear-coat. Pinarello reports frames without paint, clear-coat, derailleur hangers, bottom bracket shells. Guru leaves off the derailleur hanger.

Basically manufacturer-reported weight isn't worth much.

So saying "is" compromises your credibility and makes the site seem like it's acting as a shill for company marketers. To be fair, CN has a nice record of weighing stuff when it's available; it would be better to be more consistent, however.

just what will they snivel about next :eek:?

how about you just assume that manufacturer's specs are used unless otherwise noted?

erader

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Guy does it really matter exactly how much a component weights it 100g+/- (even 200g) won't make the slightest difference to your fast you ride. If you want to ride faster train harder and if you want to feel lighter lose some weight!

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
BrindSurch said:
Guy does it really matter exactly how much a component weights it 100g+/- (even 200g) won't make the slightest difference to your fast you ride. If you want to ride faster train harder and if you want to feel lighter lose some weight!
if I drop 100 grams, and I think I am riding faster, can I be accused of phycological doping?

Even though I think people's focus on weight is a marketing scam, I still think it would be nice for reviews to give actual weights when possible. Most manufacturers shade the truth about weight. Some do more than shade, i.e. the actual weights are so far from the claimed weights it is hard not to consider the claims outright lies.

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys,

Sorry for any confusion. We only have pretty limited space in the headline or sub-headline but if you read the body of the text, I've made it quite clear that those figures are manufacturer's claims, not my actual numbers.

And generally speaking, I always try to make it very explicit in all of my tech articles whether stated weights are 'claimed' or 'actual'.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
if I drop 100 grams, and I think I am riding faster, can I be accused of phycological doping?

If that is the way it effects You yes like all doping it effects people different.

Thanks, James for the response. I love your articles: you have an eye for detail that's really rare, and I love the way you subtly point out "rebadged" components on pro bikes.

The Felt headline just stood out, however.

Does a 100 grams here or there matter? Usually not. But the idea that it does has a huge impact on price. So the market obviously places a lot of emphasis on it.

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
djconnel:

Assuming Felt's claimed weights hold true, the biggest draw I saw from the line was not so much how light the F1 was but how close the other models are in terms of performance considering the huge decrease in price.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
BrindSurch said:
... If you want to ride faster train harder and if you want to feel lighter lose some weight!

Every discussion of weight prompts a response like this...

My question is why do you assume that people are reducing the weight of their bike, or their own body weight, but not both.

TRENDING THREADS