• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Research on Belief in God

Page 90 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
More facts (yes facts Mr "Rechtschreibfehler and "Amster"; I dont need personal insults) about the peaceful "religion" and their intruders:

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/4274

The police in the Norwegian capital Oslo revealed that 2009 set yet another record: compared to 2008, there were twice as many cases of assault rapes. In each and every case, not only in 2008 and 2009 but also in 2007, the offender was a non-Western immigrant. At the same time, in 9 out of 10 cases, the victim was Norwegian, not just by nationality, but also by ethnicity.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
More facts (yes facts Mr "Rechtschreibfehler and "Amster"; I dont need personal insults) about the peaceful "religion" and their intruders:

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/4274

The police in the Norwegian capital Oslo revealed that 2009 set yet another record: compared to 2008, there were twice as many cases of assault rapes. In each and every case, not only in 2008 and 2009 but also in 2007, the offender was a non-Western immigrant. At the same time, in 9 out of 10 cases, the victim was Norwegian, not just by nationality, but also by ethnicity.

Because non-Western = Muslim

Also, if somebody whose country of origin happens to be a Muslim country commits a crime, it has to be because of his religion. This type of argument is so obviously a fallacy. This is like saying the mafia comes from a Roman-Catholic country and most mafiosi will probably tell you they are Roman-Catholic therefore obviously Roman-Catholicism is bad and causes all the organised crime and corruption in Italy......

Marty, I think we said long ago what we had to say on that topic and there's no need to repeat ourselves. Responding to him is making his day and it's too low for your standard, I think. ;) We'd better ignore him.

Looking forward to the final cross of the season. :p

A simple, often asked question:

How can the church of England and Episcopal Church of USA bless same sex marriage when it is clearly against both the Bible and New Testament? (I understand many Christians are against it, but are their any who agree and how/why?)

"You shall not lie with a man as one lies with a woman, it is an abomination," Leviticus 18:22

"A man who lies with a man as one lies with a woman, they have done an abomination; they shall be put to death..."
Leviticus 20:13

"Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.?
?Romans 1:26-27 (NKJV)

Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals...will inherit the kingdom of God.?
?1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NKJV)

Ruby United said:
A simple, often asked question:

How can the church of England and Episcopal Church of USA bless same sex marriage when it is clearly against both the Bible and New Testament? (I understand many Christians are against it, but are their any who agree and how/why?)

"You shall not lie with a man as one lies with a woman, it is an abomination," Leviticus 18:22

"A man who lies with a man as one lies with a woman, they have done an abomination; they shall be put to death..."
Leviticus 20:13

"Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.?
?Romans 1:26-27 (NKJV)

Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals...will inherit the kingdom of God.?
?1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NKJV)

Ha ha! We actually have the same question. Personally I don't understand how Christians can justify it...will be interested to see if anyone responds.

Jspear said:
Ha ha! We actually have the same question. Personally I don't understand how Christians can justify it...will be interested to see if anyone responds.

'Justify', how do they 'justify' blond hair? Because that's just as biologically driven as homosexuality. Is lying one of the 'seven deadly sins'?

Better to lie about ones sexuality than admitting it exists?

I guess round them up and put homosexuals to death? Bible says to.

The stuff in Leviticus. "Shall be put to death"...surely not to scare those into procreating, to have more believers, I am sure.

Bustedknuckle said:
'Justify', how do they 'justify' blond hair? Because that's just as biologically driven as homosexuality. Is lying one of the 'seven deadly sins'?

Better to lie about ones sexuality than admitting it exists?

I guess round them up and put homosexuals to death? Bible says to.

The stuff in Leviticus. "Shall be put to death"...surely not to scare those into procreating, to have more believers, I am sure.

Any link to back this claim up?

There are plenty of human desires that are wrong. Surely you know that not everything a human wants/or associates himself with is good?

Read the entire books of Galatians and Hebrews and then you will understand how old and new covenants work.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Jspear said:

There are plenty of human desires that are wrong. Surely you know that not everything a human wants/or associates himself with is good?

Read the entire books of Galatians and Hebrews and then you will understand how old and new covenants work.

Where do all the aliens work into this? New or Old testaments?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I have been in Cape Verde for one month now. Overall it's a pretty nice place.

The worst thing I have seen so far: mormons. This just horrible for two reasons. One: it's 16, 17 year old boys (never girls). What the f are they doing here, they should be at home in a public school. Instead they're out trying to convert the africans. These kids have been brainwashed and robbed of their childhood/youth. Two: actually trying to convert people. I am thinking these poor africans, they already got a lot of problems and now they gotta deal with these f'n mormons too. How do they even get into the country? They must have long term visas, or else they couldn't be here. If I was in charge I would never let them in, or any other religious nutjobs trying to brainwash the people in my country. To me this is a human rights violation.

That's the other thing: they're not the only ones. Brazilian sects, 7th day adventists, you name it, they're all here, all preying on the africans. You drive through these villages in the inner island that are p*ss poor, not a single decent habitation, and one shiny church in perfect condition.

Think about what those nutjobs are doing on a continental scale... this is some scary sh*t, I tell you.

Christian said:

The worst thing I have seen so far: mormons. This just horrible for two reasons. One: it's 16, 17 year old boys (never girls). What the f are they doing here, they should be at home in a public school. Instead they're out trying to convert the africans. These kids have been brainwashed and robbed of their childhood/youth. Two: actually trying to convert people. I am thinking these poor africans, they already got a lot of problems and now they gotta deal with these f'n mormons too. How do they even get into the country? They must have long term visas, or else they couldn't be here. If I was in charge I would never let them in, or any other religious nutjobs trying to brainwash the people in my country. To me this is a human rights violation.

That's the other thing: they're not the only ones. Brazilian sects, 7th day adventists, you name it, they're all here, all preying on the africans. You drive through these villages in the inner island that are p*ss poor, not a single decent habitation, and one shiny church in perfect condition.

Think about what those nutjobs are doing on a continental scale... this is some scary sh*t, I tell you.
A different form of jihadism. At least they aren't using 7 year old girls to blow up innocent bystanders.

There appears to be a lot of competition out there to control the masses.

frenchfry said:
A different form of jihadism. At least they aren't using 7 year old girls to blow up innocent bystanders.

There appears to be a lot of competition out there to control the masses.

It's the only thing left for the zealots to do: pray on the poor and ignorant.

If there is one thing I can't stand, its claiming to own the Truth and to have certainty based on the mythology of a single book.

Perhaps the best way to combat such phenomena is "bombard" them with books. A book is infinitely worse than a bomb, because it can explode 50, 150, 500 years after it was dropped.

Jspear said:

You know, Jspear, your bigotry remains tolerable only to the point at which it doesn't contribute to the discrimination and violence inflicted upon particular categories, which your religion says are "impure" and not befittingly human before your god's eyes.

Your opinion, therefore, merits you a place in the (lowly) ranks of racism and, involuntarilly, humor. In Life is Beautiful Benigni, in repsonse to his child asking for an explination about the sign "Entrance prohibited to dogs and Jews," gives this relativizing and ridiculing response: "There are those that don't want dogs and Jews and those that don't want Spaniards and horses." This dialogue takes us back to the extraordinary hostility of bigots like yourself toward "gays," about which one isn't sure if it is in terms of a perceived social dangerousness or the gravity of the moral deviance according to your religion.

In its various manifestations, above all the religious kind, the panic-fear of the "other" and the "impure" always has something profoundly comical about it. That's because it says very little about the evilness of the respective categories, but much about the those who fear and loath them, their weakness and their paranoia. Well then the homosexuals should show you a bit of tender comprehension. ;)

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Christian said:

I don't think that Africans are really bothered by it in general though........

You're pretty biased with a secular western mindset, you know. How exactly is religion another problem? All the people to whom it actually matters don't see it as a problem; but here comes a European to tell them that trying to win other people for your beliefs is now human rights violation and brainwashing. :rolleyes:

Western missionaries generally tend to help with humanitarian causes as well you know, so from that point of view I think you'll find it hard to argue that missionaries are causing any problems.

Also, with Europe generally becoming secular and Africa already being pretty Christian and becoming increasingly Christian, I've actually met African missionaries to Europe in the Netherlands and Belgium, so they're returning the favour. :p

(Also, I'm talking about Christian missionary effort in general, which is what you seem to be concerned with if I understand you correctly, rather than the specific sects you mention.)

Maaaaaaaarten said:
I don't think that Africans are really bothered by it in general though........

You're pretty biased with a secular western mindset, you know. How exactly is religion another problem? All the people to whom it actually matters don't see it as a problem; but here comes a European to tell them that trying to win other people for your beliefs is now human rights violation and brainwashing. :rolleyes:

Western missionaries generally tend to help with humanitarian causes as well you know, so from that point of view I think you'll find it hard to argue that missionaries are causing any problems.

Also, with Europe generally becoming secular and Africa already being pretty Christian and becoming increasingly Christian, I've actually met African missionaries to Europe in the Netherlands and Belgium, so they're returning the favour. :p

(Also, I'm talking about Christian missionary effort in general, which is what you seem to be concerned with if I understand you correctly, rather than the specific sects you mention.)

How about the same Westerners (Europeans and Americans alike) who enslaved them, colonialized them, extirpated and extinguished local cultures (because "heathen"), impoverished them to something far beyond the natural poverty they knew before with their markets and predatory industrial complex pillaging, kept them under the worst of tyrannies...and now they want to save them! Now they want to bring them Jesus Christ!

If you look at the first missionary efforts in New World America, the result for the native populations was even far worse. Some were completely annihilated, others were put on reserves! And always with the book in hand!

Whenever these unsolicited bigots come knocking at my door, I slam it shut in their faces and shout at them??and stay away from my kids!?

No, please, Maaaaarten, you hypocrisy shrinks from no baseness.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
rhubroma said:
How about the same Westerners (Europeans and Americans alike) who enslaved them, colonialized them, extirpated and extinguished local cultures (because "heathen"), impoverished them to something far beyond the natural poverty they knew before with their markets and predatory industrial complex pillaging, kept them under the worst of tyrannies...and now they want to save them! Now they want to bring them Jesus Christ!

If you look at the first missionary efforts in New World America, the result for the native populations was even far worse. Some were completely annihilated, others were put on reserves! And always with the book in hand!

Whenever these unsolicited bigots come knocking at my door, I slam it shut in their faces and shout at them??and stay away from my kids!?

No, please, Maaaaarten, you hypocrisy shrinks from no baseness.

Because every bad thing the west has done is the fault of Christianity :rolleyes:

We've already discussed the link between Christianity, slavery and colonization and I've already showed you that there was a major discussion in Christian Europe even in the 16th century concerning how to treat the natives, which resulted in a Papal bull condemning slavery which was simply completely ignored by the so called Roman-Catholic colonialists.

Furthermore, here's for instance an article by sociologist Robert Woodberry showing a connection between the presence of Protestant missionaries in colonies and the development of stable democracies and human rights in those colonies, whether they were successfully converted or not:
http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic965299.files/Woodberry APSR 2011.pdf

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Because every bad thing the west has done is the fault of Christianity :rolleyes:

We've already discussed the link between Christianity, slavery and colonization and I've already showed you that there was a major discussion in Christian Europe even in the 16th century concerning how to treat the natives, which resulted in a Papal bull condemning slavery which was simply completely ignored by the so called Roman-Catholic colonialists.

Furthermore, here's for instance an article by sociologist Robert Woodberry showing a connection between the presence of Protestant missionaries in colonies and the development of stable democracies and human rights in those colonies, whether they were successfully converted or not:
http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic965299.files/Woodberry APSR 2011.pdf

Your historical interpretation, however, stands against an atrocious reality of which many native populations are still suffering the consequences. While it doesn't result to me that the papal bull put an end to slavery, a slavery that was organized and perpetuated by Christianity and its colonial enterprises.

But, hey, Jesus loves you.

Now the Western missionaries in Africa (a West that has brought nothing but exploitation and misery) want to save the African from his own mean existence. Of course nothing could be more revolting and pathetic.

Jspear said:

There are plenty of human desires that are wrong. Surely you know that not everything a human wants/or associates himself with is ?

There are as many studies that show this as those that say climate change is human caused.

A section of a 2011 Harvard Kennedy School study, "there is a loose consensus among geneticists, if not social scientists (Butler 1990; Kitzinger 1995), that there is some evidence for a genetic predisposition to homosexuality (Kallmann 1952; Bailey et al. 1993; Risch et al. 1993; Ferveur et al. 1995; Hamer 1999; Rice et al. 1999a)".

You will find a few contrary to the scientific majority, most paid by some wierd, ultra conservative, evangelical whacko, that says it's a learned and therefore, 'fixable' condition. BUT scientists who have no axe to grind know it's like blue eyes.

This human desire isn't 'wrong', isn't 'bad, is your problem. Any more than a ton of other things, like birth control, that aren't 'wrong'.

Is a person that decides to be single or a woman who decides to have no children, is that 'wrong', 'bad'??

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
A section of a 2011 Harvard Kennedy School study, "there is a loose consensus among geneticists, if not social scientists (Butler 1990; Kitzinger 1995), that there is some evidence for a genetic predisposition to homosexuality (Kallmann 1952; Bailey et al. 1993; Risch et al. 1993; Ferveur et al. 1995; Hamer 1999; Rice et al. 1999a)".

I'd like to point out that saying that there is some evidence for genetic predisposition of homosexuality is quite a different statement from saying that homosexuality is as biologically driven as having blond hair, which is what you said in your previous post. I'll happily admit I'm quite ignorant about biology so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure there is more than some evidence for a genetic predisposition of hair colour. In fact, I'd suspect hair colour isn't so much genetically predisposed, as it is more or less genetically determined......

rhubroma said:
You know, Jspear, your bigotry remains tolerable only to the point at which it doesn't contribute to the discrimination and violence inflicted upon particular categories, which your religion says are "impure" and not befittingly human before your god's eyes.

Your opinion, therefore, merits you a place in the (lowly) ranks of racism and, involuntarilly, humor. In Life is Beautiful Benigni, in repsonse to his child asking for an explination about the sign "Entrance prohibited to dogs and Jews," gives this relativizing and ridiculing response: "There are those that don't want dogs and Jews and those that don't want Spaniards and horses." This dialogue takes us back to the extraordinary hostility of bigots like yourself toward "gays," about which one isn't sure if it is in terms of a perceived social dangerousness or the gravity of the moral deviance according to your religion.

In its various manifestations, above all the religious kind, the panic-fear of the "other" and the "impure" always has something profoundly comical about it. That's because it says very little about the evilness of the respective categories, but much about the those who fear and loath them, their weakness and their paranoia. Well then the homosexuals should show you a bit of tender comprehension. ;)

Have you ever seen me interact with a gay person? Have you ever seen any loving Christian interact with a gay person in a proper way? You know that it is possible to disagree with one's lifestyle and still love the person. I do not show "extraordinary hostility" to gays at all. I treat them with the same love and respect that I treat others with, I simply disagree with some of their life choices. I think our society needs to relearn how to disagree and debate with out it always being called bigotry and hate.

On a similar note (that of persecution.) Let's talk about Christianity. Christians are the most persecuted group of people in the world. Christians are martyred for their faith every single day. In spite of this fact, I see more news coverage about the gay couple who couldn't buy a cake from this one store (they had to end up walking two blocks to the next cake store) then I do about the Chinese believers being persecuted. Christians are much bigger victims of society than gays. That doesn't excuse any wrong done to gays. I just find it sad that people can call Christians out for their stance on the gay issue when the majority of Christians show great love and compassion to them, and yet ignore the slaughtering of Christians that takes place every single day.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Because non-Western = Muslim

Certainly not. You have a point here. The foreign rapists of native norwegians mostly came from Denmark, Sweden, Italy, Germany OFC, and other non-muslim countries. The so-called north holiday rapists. :rolleyes:

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Also, if somebody whose country of origin happens to be a Muslim country commits a crime, it has to be because of his religion.

If it is a must to have certain character attributes described in the quran (like that women have to be treated like shit, literally), then yes you have to blame the "religion" of the rapists as the main reason for the countless crimes done by muslim intruders to original Europeans.

That is especially true when 95+ % of certain countries are muslims and they commit crimes in foreign countries (like rapes) in 90+ % of cases even though they are (still) in the minority of the population (like it is in the case of Norway, or Cologne were 90+ % of rapists are muslims).

Echoes said:
Marty, I think we said long ago what we had to say on that topic and there's no need to repeat ourselves. Responding to him is making his day and it's too low for your standard, I think. ;) We'd better ignore him.

Says the anti-Semite. :rolleyes:

BTW, I am not the only one having you uncovered:

del1962 said:
Cant be bothered to read your waffle, however I have a very low opinion of you because I am convinced you are an anti-semite,

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Jspear said:
Have you ever seen me interact with a gay person? Have you ever seen any loving Christian interact with a gay person in a proper way? You know that it is possible to disagree with one's lifestyle and still love the person. I do not show "extraordinary hostility" to gays at all. I treat them with the same love and respect that I treat others with, I simply disagree with some of their life choices. I think our society needs to relearn how to disagree and debate with out it always being called bigotry and hate.

On a similar note (that of persecution.) Let's talk about Christianity. Christians are the most persecuted group of people in the world. Christians are martyred for their faith every single day. In spite of this fact, I see more news coverage about the gay couple who couldn't buy a cake from this one store (they had to end up walking two blocks to the next cake store) then I do about the Chinese believers being persecuted. Christians are much bigger victims of society than gays. That doesn't excuse any wrong done to gays. I just find it sad that people can call Christians out for their stance on the gay issue when the majority of Christians show great love and compassion to them, and yet ignore the slaughtering of Christians that takes place every single day.

Hey Jspear. There is nothing stopping you walking into a cake shop or staying at any hotel. No form of discrimination is good. Its not the world I want to live in or my kids to live in. Its very poor form IMO to try and tie in the slaughter of Christians with the issues you have with homosexuality.
When you say that you disagree with their life choices I can tell you that its not a life choice. I'm attending my friends gay wedding in a few weeks and it will be fantastic and it shows how much society has come/moved forward but comments like "Life choices" do nothing but back up your own ideology which is offensive. There are a lot more pressing issues in the world and its time people got over their own prejudice. I don't see any gay armies causing terror anywhere. I do see a lot of religious based terror going on. That's a problem that's real and concerns the safety of people.

ray j willings said:
Hey Jspear. There is nothing stopping you walking into a cake shop or staying at any hotel. No form of discrimination is good. Its not the world I want to live in or my kids to live in. Its very poor form IMO to try and tie in the slaughter of Christians with the issues you have with homosexuality.
When you say that you disagree with their life choices I can tell you that its not a life choice. I'm attending my friends gay wedding in a few weeks and it will be fantastic and it shows how much society has come/moved forward but comments like "Life choices" do nothing but back up your own ideology which is offensive. There are a lot more pressing issues in the world and its time people got over their own prejudice. I don't see any gay armies causing terror anywhere. I do see a lot of religious based terror going on. That's a problem that's real and concerns the safety of people.

If one thinks that acting gay is an immoral choice then why is that offensive? Jspear's comment was emphasizing how he does not dislike homosexuals because they are homosexuals, rather simply disagrees with their life choice. How is that offensive, seems the opposite to me.