• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Resolutions and Goals for 2010

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Being cyclists we often set new goals for ourselves. What do you hope to accomplish in 2010?

I'll get this started.

Cycling related:
-Improve my century time: below 5 hours total time, including sag stops.
-My sprint to hit 40mph without gravity's assistance; lead-outs or tail winds acceptable :D
-Finish a ride of 150+ miles. It would be my first.
-Improve my TT at my local MTB trail; below 40 min
-Win a road race or MTB race. I can get as high as second, but the top spot has eluded me :(

Non-cycling related:
-Acceptance to grad school, law school, business school.
-Stop biting my effing nails!!! Seems an exercise in futility

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Ive switched to running so...

Sub 1:20 for Half marathon
Sub 36:30 for 10k
Go see the Tour in the mountains this summer

On a non sporting note, I need to make sure I am on course for a 2:1 with my degree, and have some girl related tasks to attend to :)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
this is a great topic. until now i hadn't given much thought to what exactly i need to do in the upcoming year. i came up with two goals; one slightly cycling related and one personal.

1. do sit ups and press ups everyday to develop some core strength.

2. save every penny i can by the middle of june. fewer nights out, make my own lunches, drive less, no coffee shop coffees... any other suggestions on how to save would be welcome.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
- Do more than 5000 push-ups and 10 000 sit-ups through the year.
- Lift 100 kg in benchpress.
- Lose 5 kg and become a better climber.
- Ride more than 10 000 kms.
- Win atleast one bike race.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
gregod said:
this is a great topic. until now i hadn't given much thought to what exactly i need to do in the upcoming year. i came up with two goals; one slightly cycling related and one personal.

Sit ups are not very effective at developing core strength. They are also bad for people with lower back problems. Get back to me and I'll give you a list of better exercises you can easily look up on YouTube or google.

MrContador said:
- Do more than 5000 push-ups and 10 000 sit-ups through the year.
- Lift 100 kg in benchpress.
- Lose 5 kg and become a better climber.
- Ride more than 10 000 kms.
- Win at least one bike race.

Dude if you weigh less than 75 kilos I'll be shocked if you can bench press 100 kilos. We're talking 1RM right. Your maximal repetition. 100 kilos is huge, except for bulked up footy players and body builders. As for the sit-ups, reread the above. Useless or near to useless, especially considering you want to lose 5 kilos. If you want some better exercises, just ask. I can give you close to a dozen that are easy and far more effective at isolating the obliques and lats.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
gregod said:

I'd suggest some medicine ball and BOSU trainer assisted workouts for core strength. I vary workouts with the medicine ball and some push ups on the BOSU ball (with each leg lifted on my opposite heel) for a killer core workout. You can also do sit ups on the BOSU for lower back support. My core strength has drastically improved and my sprints are getting faster and faster.

gregod said:
2. save every penny i can by the middle of june. fewer nights out, make my own lunches, drive less, no coffee shop coffees... any other suggestions on how to save would be welcome.
Don't grocery shop hungry. I do that and spend 30 bucks on sushi only to eat it as a "snack" before dinner, thus negating what I bought for dinner.:rolleyes:
If you're a smoothie drinker after riding or workouts, skip the juice bar and make your own.
Avoid vending machines. That $1.25 bottle of water isn't much now, but throughout the week, you just wasted money for two lunches.

Those have helped me.

A

Anonymous

gregod said:

Save 3% of gross income the minute you get your check. Period. Do it no matter what. You will be amazed how quickly you will develop a significant savings.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
* Win at least one bike race.
* Try and move up a another grade (A grade).
* Get regular employment.
* If number 3 takes off well, then either a new bike or a cycling holiday somewhere.

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
1. to stop being such a wuss and go out on my bike when it is cold/windy
2. to do 1/2 an hour of some sort of exercise every day, even if only to assert my absolute domination of wii fit hula hooping
3. to finish my diabetes course, get qualified as a Buteyko breathing instructor and then not to do any more work related courses for a minimum of 12 months
4. to learn to speak better French and pick up a smattering of Flemish so that I don't appear so ignorant in Belgian beer shops :D

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Dude if you weigh less than 75 kilos I'll be shocked if you can bench press 100 kilos. We're talking 1RM right. Your maximal repetition. 100 kilos is huge, except for bulked up footy players and body builders. As for the sit-ups, reread the above. Useless or near to useless, especially considering you want to lose 5 kilos. If you want some better exercises, just ask. I can give you close to a dozen that are easy and far more effective at isolating the obliques and lats.
I weigh 81 kg, so I'm a quite heavy rider. At the moment I'm lifting about 80 kg, so my target is to reach 100 kg during the year. I train about three times a week at a fitness studio, so I think it's a fair goal. :eek:

Thanks for the tip about sit-ups, though, and I would be grateful for any tips for excersises you can come up with. :)

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
MrContador said:
I weigh 81 kg, so I'm a quite heavy rider. At the moment I'm lifting about 80 kg, so my target is to reach 100 kg during the year. I train about three times a week at a fitness studio, so I think it's a fair goal. :eek:

Thanks for the tip about sit-ups, though, and I would be grateful for any tips for excersises you can come up with. :)

That is solid. 1:1 bench press, especially for a bike rider. If you are taller, 81 kilos is not much. It is normal, maybe not for a pro, but for the general populace, that is quite normal. Give me a day or two and then check back here. I'll drop a list in order of effectiveness and try and find some descriptions you can look up. If that fails, I'll describe them in detail myself.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Dude if you weigh less than 75 kilos I'll be shocked if you can bench press 100kilos. We're talking 1RM right. Your maximal repetition. 100 kilos is huge, except for bulked up footy players and body builders.

Go for the 100kilo goal! You don't have to be that huge to bench 220. I am by no means a bodybuilder, but in April I weighed in at 173 and benched 270. And I'm not a single digit body fat guy either.

develop some better overall skeletal strength thru proper weight training, continue without interuption my winter trainer program and then do some races this season. Improve my century time.

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Start cycling! Yeah, I don`t even own a bike yet. Do 200 miles in one day before September 18, 2010, which will be the one-year anniversary of my open heart surgery.

I guess goal #1 should be to purchase a bike!:p

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
-Finish a 100 mile mountain bike race
-Podium in a Road and Cross race (maybe move up a category)
-Finish my French classes, learn some Flemish so I can understand what is being said by the Sporza commentators.
-Follow my coach closer
-Move up within my company (done!)
-Buy 2 more bikes

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Resolutions

I am going to beat this MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY thing, despite what the doctors say, I am already riding 4 times per week but only a mountain bike...In the morning will be out with the guys on my road bike and will stay up until the end.
All this hurts like crazy but better than sitting back and awaiting the inevitable,,,Good luck everyone..COLIN LAING

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
* Gonna ride one of the super hilly centuries in southwestern Wisconsin this summer (something like 15,000' of climbing).
* Structure my riding a little better. Make sure to get in some interval workouts in addition to long miles and hill repeats.
* Stop worrying over every little thing.
* Make sure to enjoy each day. You never know...

TRENDING THREADS