• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Resting Pulse Rate / Maximum Heart Rate

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Well....as you may know, a person's PR/Max HR has very little to do with their athletic performance but it has been recorded that Miguel Indurain had a PR of 28! What is most important for pro cyclist is their VO2 max and rate of recovery.
But if you must know at my age of 55, my PR is 39 & Max HR 190....

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
markrosen said:
Well....as you may know, a person's PR/Max HR has very little to do with their athletic performance but it has been recorded that Miguel Indurain had a PR of 28! What is most important for pro cyclist is their VO2 max and rate of recovery.

Mine is up and down all the time max is now 172@65yo but resting can go low as 40 but that is not so good because it causes sleep aponea keep waking in the night. I try to keep it at 50+ and feel better.
Cardiologist stated if max HR drops considerably it can be caused by blocked arteries so be warned.
However he stated its not blocked arteries that kill veteran athleats its calcium breaking away from artery walls that is a killer.
That can be caused by Vit B3 and other drugs that are supposed to relax arteries.
Then omen is stay clear of doctors unless you are very sick they may make you worse..

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
markrosen said:

yeah i never use to agree but then i can drop many calm mellow people im always kind of nervous its my way. my hr is quite odd yet i am always a top 10 if im remotely fit. i feel these days hr is only one aspect of many things. one thing that is sadly overlooked in our foo foo society is what is in the head. who can take what levels of pain and general discomfort once fit. i know many genetically gifted guys who are *****es and who i will drop with a hangover i feel they would end me if they were willing but they give up easy such is life happy new year.;)

forty four said:
"……..i feel these days hr is only one aspect of many things. one thing that is sadly overlooked in our foo foo society is what is in the head. who can take what levels of pain and general discomfort once fit. i know many genetically gifted guys who are *****es……"
I agree strongly with that. While the numbers are a good predictor of where you might be in the scheme of things. Truly outrageous feats and accomplishments are often from the realm of the emotional mind, heart and subconscious. There are loads of documented cases of superhuman feats by ordinary people.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
xmoonx said:
I agree strongly with that. While the numbers are a good predictor of where you might be in the scheme of things. Truly outrageous feats and accomplishments are often from the realm of the emotional mind, heart and subconscious. There are loads of documented cases of superhuman feats by ordinary people.

even Vo2 max isnt a good predictor on its own. I was 83ml/kg at my peak but was only an average clubracer.My power output at threshold was too low and my immune system couldn't cope with the training.There are a lot of parameters that have to come together to make a good cyclist. .
Interesting to note that the vets have posted max hr way in advance of the old 220minus your age formula. I too have found that my max hr has not dropped off nearly as much as I expexted. I an 45 now and can still maintain 175 in a 40k tt when I am in the mood

xmoonx said:

The numbers are only useful in analysing your OWN performance. They are useless as a comparative measure. Max Heart Rates for cyclists with similar power outputs can vary from 160 to 220bpm.

Monte Zoncolon said:
I started this thread Yesterday, but I didn't expect it to generate much interest.

I deleted it because I forgot to add VO2 max into the equation when writing out the thread title.

I have a resting pulse rate of - 37 bpm and a max of - 195 bpm. I have no idea what My VO2 Max is, as I never have had it officially tested. Although I must have it tested sometime. VO2 max is a good indicator of overall cardiovascular fitness in relation to oxygen uptake. There are many other important variables that that pertain to overall fitness such as an individual's rate of recovery, and Lactate threshold for example.

Having a high VO2 max is a good start, but being able to race at a high % of it is more important.

IMO, the best things you can do as a cyclist are
1) build a big base &
2) raise your FTP.
Good article here:
http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_factsheets/constant/functhresh.htm

TRENDING THREADS