• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Revelations 2017

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Maybe not "revelations" but I'm expecting good progress from:

Jaime Rosón
Richard Carapaz
Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig
Matvey Mamykin
Edward Ravasi
Yes, I was also thinking about those 2, I don't have hugee expectations when it comes to Ravasi and the other 2 members of the Colpack trio at TJ Sport-Lampre (Consonni and Ganna), Simone Petilli coould e the revelatioon on that team.
Speaking o young Italian riders, Andrea Vendrame could already show something in the smaller Italian one day races and Davide Martinelli could be a revelation in the smaller cobbled races.
Dani Martinez could be a big revelation, just like Odd Christian Eiking and I hope that Patrick Konrad will be able to take it to the nex level.
Max Walscheid will become the next big German sprinter.
Edit: I forgot to mention Nils Politt, he alreadyy showed his talent in a few smaller cobbled one day races, but next year he could be one of the big revelations of the spring classics.

On the Italian circuit I'm hoping for good things from Albanese. Martínez and Bernal may properly explode this year too; Gaudu may struggle initially with the WT pace but should adapt; and the Axeon boys to see whether it is just Axeon magic or if they can repeat it elsewhere too. Plenty of others too. I hope Carthy can succeed on the WT

Edit: all the axeon guys have stayed at axeon it seems, apart from Tao. I hoped that the likes of Costa and Powless moved up.

Re:

Brullnux said:
On the Italian circuit I'm hoping for good things from Albanese. Martínez and Bernal may properly explode this year too; Gaudu may struggle initially with the WT pace but should adapt; and the Axeon boys to see whether it is just Axeon magic or if they can repeat it elsewhere too. Plenty of others too. I hope Carthy can succeed on the WT

Edit: all the axeon guys have stayed at axeon it seems, apart from Tao. I hoped that the likes of Costa and Powless moved up.
Ruben Guerreiro moved up to Trek as well. It will be interesting to see if he can become proper WT material or if he'll fall into obscurity like Fábio Silvestre for example. His team mates Gogl and Pedersen might be fun to follow as well.

BMC is probably the team with most interest if you like to follow young riders. They have a lot of riders who are on the verge of either becoming great riders or just decent domestiques like Dillier, Senni, Teuns or Vliegen but also some exciting neo-pros like Bohli, Gerts, Frankiny or Kung.

Bystrom looks set to become a mighty beast in the cobblestones, I'm looking forward to see what he does other than baby sitting Kristoff, just like his above mentioned team mate Nils Politt.

Laurens De Plus, Martinelli and Mas should be the most exciting prospects at Quickstep. It will be funny for us the Velasco fanboys to see if we can hang on to Mas as his worthy successor :D

From the lower leagues I have some expectations for Ballerini, Vendrame, Suaza and Meurisse.

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I was thinking about Power as well.

Maybe not as "fresh" as some of the names mentioned here, but I'm anticipating a bit of a breakthrough season for Davide Villella after his showings at the end of this season.
And the resurrection of Lachlan Morton, still only 25 next year?

In addition to those I'm curious to see if Loïc Vliegen can take the next step in his progression, without immediately expecting big results.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Very Curious to see Laclan Morton. And how he goes in his second time around in the WT. Thinking he might have put it all together in between his ears. At his time in Jelly Belly. IMHO. The Giro suits him better. Bigger climbs.

Also want to see what Adrian Costa does. He will wait another year before going WT. But really stoked to see him maybe ride as a Neo Pro for Extixx

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Libertine Seguros said:

Jaime Rosón
Richard Carapaz
Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig
Matvey Mamykin
Edward Ravasi

Did something happen to him this year? I had never heard of him until this year in January. Some cycling nerds were hyping him for San Luis and then nothing happened.

He rode strong in some Italian races. He was really impressive in Tre Valli Varesine: attacking multiple times uphill and following the better climbers on the last lap.

Jspear said:
Libertine Seguros said:

Jaime Rosón
Richard Carapaz
Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig
Matvey Mamykin
Edward Ravasi

Did something happen to him this year? I had never heard of him until this year in January. Some cycling nerds were hyping him for San Luis and then nothing happened.

IN San Luis he had two bad crashes so he couldnt perform there as he would have liked, he still got to ride for Lizarte in Spain (the feeder team of Movistar) and was the strongest on the climbs in basically all the races he did. I think he can become a very strong rider, I hope he can show it right away but I wouldnt be suprised if he needs some adjusting time.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
If anybody can even think of mentioning a rider here is he/she really gonna be a revelation? Unless it's in the sense of "I know about this rider from the domestic scene in my country, just you wait!"

In that vein (sorta), hoping for big things from Eddie Dunbar soon. He's only 20 but to Irish people it seems like he's been around forever. He's a featherweight climber who regularly goes on insane long range attacks (e.g. one early national race as a junior for his local club or this Junior Nations Cup), but can TT to a very high standard as well. He needs to improve his bike handling and descending though. Going into his second year with Axel Merckx's Pro Conti US team so it'll be interesting if he's let off the leash in some of the bigger US races.

Ruudz0r said:
Jspear said:
Libertine Seguros said:

Jaime Rosón
Richard Carapaz
Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig
Matvey Mamykin
Edward Ravasi

IN San Luis he had two bad crashes so he couldnt perform there as he would have liked, he still got to ride for Lizarte in Spain (the feeder team of Movistar) and was the strongest on the climbs in basically all the races he did. I think he can become a very strong rider, I hope he can show it right away but I wouldnt be suprised if he needs some adjusting time.

Arredondo said:
Jspear said:
Libertine Seguros said:

Jaime Rosón
Richard Carapaz
Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig
Matvey Mamykin
Edward Ravasi

He rode strong in some Italian races. He was really impressive in Tre Valli Varesine: attacking multiple times uphill and following the better climbers on the last lap.

Thanks!