• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riccò describes the Cycling Reform Commission as a joke

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nick C. said:
It doesn't mean that in English or at least have that connotation. Aritsna in Enlgish or American to be precise, infers a fine craftsman. You describe him doing it himself which is almost the opposite.

Ummm....you sure about that?

As a fellow american, I don't interpret the word artisanal to indicate quality. I think his village cobbler vs. Nike comparison completely sums it up.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
classicomano said:
So is his book gonna go in depth on his doping use?
what doping?

Garmin dope?
33wv6te.png

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Its a French word to be precise. In Italian it means craftsman as well but has taken the context of "doing it by ones own hands".

But I don't know if CyclingNews picked the word on his behalf it if it was used in direct usage.

no worries.
As far as Ricco why is he such a cult hero in here? Is it just because he is considered a scapegoat?

Nick C. said:
no worries.
As far as Ricco why is he such a cult hero in here? Is it just because he is considered a scapegoat?

My take is he's a relentless self-promoter apparently surrounded by absolute chaos (and dope) endlessly doping and then having ridiculous stories about his doping circumstances. The best part for me is he's a complete embarrassment to the federation.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
IzzyStradlin said:
Ummm....you sure about that?

As a fellow american, I don't interpret the word artisanal to indicate quality. I think his village cobbler vs. Nike comparison completely sums it up.

I guess people can differ. Then again considering my typing I 'm not sure I am the poster child for good grammar.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
He's a caricature of professional cycling dopers.

This. Plus his stupidity apparently knows no limit. I had a friend like him once that would get himself into the most ridiculous situations due to poor judgement, but always managed to scrape by. This added up to a lot of funny stories, but that's it. I certainly wouldn't let him sit my kids in any event.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Ricco was probably been pushed towards being a pro cyclist from a young age and he knows nothing else. The idea of doping is part of racing/riding a bike for a guy like Ricco.

Ricco is pro cyclings mascot.

Nick C. said:
no worries.
He's a loose cannon, a comedy of errors. I doubt he could even ride to the shops for groceries without something crazy happening. He also tells it like it is.

Ricco is a scapegoat for cycling's administration, but he's also a liability because he knows so much about the inner workings of the machine. When (not "if" IMO) he goes public and tells all, there's going to be a lot of red faces and tantrums. This is why I support him.

Also, attacking the motorbikes on Super-Besse at the '08 TdF was pretty sweet to watch :D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
My take is he's a relentless self-promoter apparently surrounded by absolute chaos (and dope) endlessly doping and then having ridiculous stories about his doping circumstances. The best part for me is he's a complete embarrassment to the federation.

he gave himself a nickname. the best nickname. Cobra

cobra qua cobra

May 26, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
he gave himself a nickname. the best nickname. Cobra

cobra qua cobra

Word is that the nickname comes from his personal experience of having a large portion of his skin peel away after getting hold of a bad batch.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
yespatterns said:
This. Plus his stupidity apparently knows no limit. I had a friend like him once that would get himself into the most ridiculous situations due to poor judgement, but always managed to scrape by. This added up to a lot of funny stories, but that's it. I certainly wouldn't let him sit my kids in any event.
Kinda like Di Luca.

There are pills nowadays for ADHD patients though...

Nevertheless, Ricco, the black sheep of the cycling community is funny as hell. His book should be translated in English.

TRENDING THREADS