• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riccò in hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
will10 said:
jokes aside, I hope he has a speedy recovery, wouldn't wish renal failure on my worst enemy, very nasty condition

That goes without saying right?

I have no clue on how severe this condition is. Short term or long term.
As Hitch says, I hope someone with a little more knowledge can explain what's happening to him now.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
As i said on the other thread, very disapointing.

Anyone know what we can expect?

Is his season over?

My friends think he will be OK after dialysis. How could he race this year after renal failure?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
My friends think he will be OK after dialysis. How could he race this year after renal failure?

Google tells me he has to go through dialysis until he gets a transplant or an artificial kidney(?)

So am I safe to say: end of career for Ricco?

jens_attacks said:
gazzetta reporting that his health is already improving and that riccardo wants to go home.thanks god.

Ok, now I'm really clueless.

The Hitch said:
As i said on the other thread, very disapointing.

Anyone know what we can expect?

Is his season over?

Probably too early to tell, would it not be? I guess I have no expertise, but from looking at the wikipedia for renal failure, it seems like if it was an acute case (which I assume, since I've not heard about him having chronic kidney problems), patients can 'recover' and 'lead a normal life', but there are no timelines attached.

I'm sure a cursory search on the internet would offer more info, but I guess we'll probably find out ourselves soon enough...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
'Lead a normal life' and 'compete at the top level of a professional endurance sport' are not the same thing. I'm glad to hear he is well for now but it's too early to speculate about when (if ever) he'll return to racing.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
On the vacansoleil official site it just said he had a fever attack nothing else and is expected to return home tomorrow and only i in the hospital because of observation

Hugo Koblet said:
Damn this i horrible news. I have been looking forward to his comeback season for so long.

Get well soon Riccardo.

Agreed. I think he's a jerk from the way he acted before his suspension and the way he acted when his girlfriend was caught, among other things, but he was one of the most exciting racers around and thinking of him in the Giro this year was exciting.

Agreed as well, Roundabout, on 'well let's wait for the press release to see how serious it is'.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
On the vacansoleil official site it just said he had a fever attack nothing else and is expected to return home tomorrow and only i in the hospital because of observation

Let's hope that's all there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.