• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ricco Not Invited

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Also absent from Tirreno-Adriatico is a certain team led by a certain Texan and a certain Belgian. Footon can say hello from the blacklist that they currently enjoy.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Also absent from Tirreno-Adriatico is a certain team led by a certain Texan and a certain Belgian. Footon can say hello from the blacklist that they currently enjoy.

i think that is a bit harsh on Footon, this years team is pretty a new rebuild...

At loeast it gives them time to get more drinking camp crits...

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I almost feel sorry for Footon, they are probably no worse then any other PT team out there really. Unless they were not invited because of their kits...

craig1985 said:

Maybe they should have waited a while before snubbing the Giro?
Still, there's always Paris-Nice!;)

Re: Ricco and Ceramica.
It is possible that the RCS decision has little to do with Ricco, but more to do with the Simeoni flare up, last year, after they were left out, because the RCS didn't want to upset the same, certain Texan?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Also absent from Tirreno-Adriatico is a certain team led by a certain Texan and a certain Belgian....

The Texas Rangers?

No, they don't have a Belgian

Club Brugges?

No, the guy I'm thinking of there is Canadian.

I give up:D

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Bluebeard said:
The Texas Rangers?

No, they don't have a Belgian

Club Brugges?

No, the guy I'm thinking of there is Canadian.

I give up:D
He is a former World Champion and has won the Tour de France once. His Belgian mate has two stages of the TdF in which the last one he wheel sucked Indurain all the way to the finish line, crashed over a barrier one year, and has been the DS/Manager in this Texan's multiple Tour reign.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
tubularglue said:
Ricco is a Tool

Tool as in DOUCHEBAG'

ricco_dopers.gif

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
A

Anonymous

richwagmn said:
I have mixed feelings about this. If someone gets busted and does their "time" are they forever informally banned from the sport? If so, why not just make it a lifetime ban up front?

I think the fact that his girlfreind, who also is sister of his teammate is more the reason his team arent too welcome...

May 26, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
I have mixed feelings about this. If someone gets busted and does their "time" are they forever informally banned from the sport? If so, why not just make it a lifetime ban up front?

Well it also depends on who your friends/contacts are too. If you're BFFL with uncle Pat and his crew the door is opened fully for you.

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Well banning Ricco and not inviting the team is not the same thing.

He was signed long before his ban was over. The team has him listed as a member of their squad for last year but as inactive, his stage wins from the TdF where he tested positive are listed as wins on their site.

If teams with this kind of anti doping policy don't get invited to races it's a good thing.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
sida-mot said:
Well banning Ricco and not inviting the team is not the same thing.

He was signed long before his ban was over. The team has him listed as a member of their squad for last year but as inactive, his stage wins from the TdF where he tested positive are listed as wins on their site.

If teams with this kind of anti doping policy don't get invited to races it's a good thing.

At least all these posts lead to the same thing. If you did or didn't do anything..deny it. It's never over. The cycling bodies have penalties and then let some dikhed like Ricco get punished twice. Some if you love salad like Millar your welcome with open mouth,pants,arms whatever. They should come up with a punishment that is even and can be evenly applied. At this years tour they should have a reverse call up "anybody who has been fined or suspended in their career go to the back of the bunch!". Millar should have to wear knee pads or a big wooden cross while he races for the rest of his career.

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
At least all these posts lead to the same thing. If you did or didn't do anything..deny it. It's never over. The cycling bodies have penalties and then let some dikhed like Ricco get punished twice. Some if you love salad like Millar your welcome with open mouth,pants,arms whatever. They should come up with a punishment that is even and can be evenly applied. At this years tour they should have a reverse call up "anybody who has been fined or suspended in their career go to the back of the bunch!". Millar should have to wear knee pads or a big wooden cross while he races for the rest of his career.
OK somehow my point seems to have been lost. What I was trying to say is that I don't see this as punishing Ricco but the team. They have taken a banned athlete and made him their front man while he still is banned. He have been allowed to train with the team and he has been part of the teams presentation.

There might not be any written rules about this, but there should be.

I also think the race organizers should have more of a say when it comes to who they want to invite. I understand that they don't want him there. No matters what would have happened on the road the stories would all have been about Ricco.

And finally Ricco is still suspended. So he didn't get an invitation while being suspended. Is that really so strange. Let him at least do his time.

TRENDING THREADS