• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ricco

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Here he's imitating his idol, Pantani.

Oh, I don't know about that, when you consider his feats at the Giro and Tour (which he still obstinately claims to be his victories), he was pretty bad a$$. Especially when he did it against doped rivals. For they were all on cera, though for reasons we will never know didn't test positive for it.

Let's make pretend that Riccò, like his rivals, didn't get caught for using cera, went on to win that Tour and today would probably have a Giro under his belt too and be the biggest challenge to Contador. Sound too far fetched? Not at all, in fact this was his projected career before it all came unwound.

Your last statement sounds like what many of us would have been advising a certain Texan in 96. Imagine what the sport would have been like today?

I'm not saying Riccò's a victim, but just that in the sport, unlike many of his doped rivals, he's gotten a particularly hard paper route. Some don't feel sorry for that, that he brought it upon himself, etc, which is a completely valid response. But in the end, before we knew, he road like few others have in his generation.

Sorry, Ricco is a great rider but Contador is greater. Doped, undoped whatever.

Ricco just couldn't deal with the strict regiments of cycling- it was too much for him to comprehend what is required to be a champion-his rebellious core just couldn't cope with what was necessary to reach the top places. even Di luca-with all his defaults- knows the basics to stay afloat....
He just needs to GTFO and never come back ever

May 26, 2010
Visit site
forty four said:
epic naivety regarding human nature i use to get ****ed when i came on here now these forums are comic relief. i feel so intelligent on here great ego boost just reading posts thanks to you and quite a few others lol....

yeah whatever fanboy

forty four said:
oh also your slow your opinions show this if you think im wrong anytime.

try and not write a response when you are foaming at the mouth it prevents you from posting any sense;)

hfer07 said:
Ricco just couldn't deal with the strict regiments of cycling- it was too much for him to comprehend what is required to be a champion-his rebellious core just couldn't cope with what was necessary to reach the top places. even Di luca-with all his defaults- knows the basics to stay afloat....
He just needs to GTFO and never come back ever

I'd have no problem with that, hfer07, so long as 70% of the pro peleton left too, then 100% of the UCI upper management, just about all of the DSs, masseurs, 100% of the team medics, several of the race organizers and even some of the sponsors.

I'm not saying he should be brought back, of course, just let's be democratic. And he is a "small fish" (in the sense of being expendable) within a sea of sharks, which only makes his fate all the more tragic-comic. In other words, for the vehemence of your harsh sentiment toward the Modenese to have a more valid justification than mere antipathy, some of those large sharks should have been put through an identical ordeal a decade ago. True, a few have, but not a couple of steller examples.

As for the work ethic, from what I know, he was a super serious athlete, no less then a DiLuca, or a Basso, or a Contador, or a Shleck, etc. So I don't see what strict regiments he was not willing to conform too, this would also seem to have included the strict regiment of doping. Though he's no different in this than his colleagues.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:
I'd have no problem with that, hfer07, so long as 70% of the pro peleton left too, then 100% of the UCI upper management, just about all of the DSs, masseurs, 100% of the team medics, several of the race organizers and even some of the sponsors.

I'm not saying he should be brought back, of course, just let's be democratic.

As for the work ethic, from what I know, he was a super serious athlete, no less then a DiLuca, or a Basso, or a Contador, or a Shleck, etc. So I don't see what strict regiments he was not willing to conform too, this would also seem to have included the strict regiment of doping. Though he's no different in this than his colleagues.

yeah agreed. Something went wrong on that day and it may be a long time before we find out exactly what. But Riccó was a serious pro of that there is no doubt. That he was also a serious aßßhole is of no doubt but there are lots in the peloton.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
yeah agreed. Something went wrong on that day and it may be a long time before we find out exactly what. But Riccó was a serious pro of that there is no doubt. That he was also a serious aßßhole is of no doubt but there are lots in the peloton.

To be a pro you don't have to be stupid but it helps.Ricco unfortunately is too stupid even for cycling!
I for one take no pleasure in his demise, it's just sad.

Benotti69 said:

I obviously added a bit, which for me, is the only reason I find his case so pathetic: that is in the true spirit of pathos.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
simo1733 said:
To be a pro you don't have to be stupid but it helps.Ricco unfortunately is too stupid even for cycling!
I for one take no pleasure in his demise, it's just sad.

i am glad Riccó is no longer part of the peloton, but for how long will he stay gone?

What happened to Riccó could and might have happened to plenty of others that we have not heard about. Who f**ked up Riccó or the person in charge of the transfusion? Riccó's mouthiness was on a par with Cavendish's imo. The peloton will always reflect the same types we hear, see and find in everyday society.

Taking PEDs imo is pretty stupid. But i don't look to cycling to solve any of the world's problems or dilemmas.:D

being entirely selfish, i am sad that we won't get to see him racing any more.

whatever his personality off the bike, i found him entertaining on it. he had spirit and hubris, and was a joy to watch. he didn't play the game by the rules so you never truly knew what he was going to do.

i don't know the truth behind his last episode, but i find it distasteful how some are heaping on the hate. Riccò is no better or worse than many in the peloton. he may be stupid and an a$$, but that is no reason to wish him ill (or make him a whipping boy as all the über LA fans seem to be doing).

i wish him well in his new life... but i will miss him as a rider.

there! i said it. flame away :D

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Can't for the life of me understand those who "hopes he's able to find some peace in life" and wish him well.
The CERA positive should've been a wake-up call, his wife's positive and non-negative ditto another, his in-laws demise in the Operation Red Cobra a third, and when he was taken under the wings of a seriously ill Aldo Sassi, who stated in public that he was willing to suspend disbelief for Riccó, that should've been a massive, force 8.9, wake-up call IMHO.
Riccó has been a suspect rider right back to his days as a junior, and I take the doctors' word over his any day.
I'm truly happy to see the back of him, and quite frankly, I'm totally indifferent as to his future.

hektoren said:
Can't for the life of me understand those who "hopes he's able to find some peace in life" and wish him well.
The CERA positive should've been a wake-up call, his wife's positive and non-negative ditto another, his in-laws demise in the Operation Red Cobra a third, and when he was taken under the wings of a seriously ill Aldo Sassi, who stated in public that he was willing to suspend disbelief for Riccó, that should've been a massive, force 8.9, wake-up call IMHO.
Riccó has been a suspect rider right back to his days as a junior, and I take the doctors' word over his any day.
I'm truly happy to see the back of him, and quite frankly, I'm totally indifferent as to his future.

Now here's a man that doesn't mix words. Fair enough. If it makes you feel even more convinced, the doctors Riccò criticized for having "understood nothing" and that if he hadn't been moved to a different hospital "would have died", denied all accusations of incompetence in today's la Gazzetta dello Sport and will seek to defend themselves from such calumnious denouncements.

To be honest, the medics do make me reconsider one aspect of my viewpoint: namely Riccò's character. Though, honestly, between a professional cyclist and a doctor, I wouldn't know who to trust.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
i am glad Riccó is no longer part of the peloton, but for how long will he stay gone?

What happened to Riccó could and might have happened to plenty of others that we have not heard about. Who f**ked up Riccó or the person in charge of the transfusion? Riccó's mouthiness was on a par with Cavendish's imo. The peloton will always reflect the same types we hear, see and find in everyday society.

Taking PEDs imo is pretty stupid. But i don't look to cycling to solve any of the world's problems or dilemmas.:D

I take your point about the worlds problems but football hooliganism apologist's used to say the same thing.The English Premier League has just about eradicated football hooliganism while English society is just as violent as ever.

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Life time ban for Ricco will save us all worrying about how or when he will return !
His family seems to be part of his problem and if the UCIless were to impose sanctions against all and enforce banning All of them from attending , participating or working in any Sports Endeavour in any capacity then some of those other borderline cases will sit up and take notice of the fact that "Sporting Fraud" is NO LONGER TOLERATED !

Too many Fraudsters have returned and been welcomed back from their enforced holiday and rarely have they suffered for the damage they have done to Cycling Sport or their colleagues .

Time people realise there are many hard working cycle employees out there that cannot afford to be unemployed through the selfish behaviours of the racers !

May 26, 2010
Visit site
skippy said:
Life time ban for Ricco will save us all worrying about how or when he will return !
His family seems to be part of his problem and if the UCIless were to impose sanctions against all and enforce banning All of them from attending , participating or working in any Sports Endeavour in any capacity then some of those other borderline cases will sit up and take notice of the fact that "Sporting Fraud" is NO LONGER TOLERATED !

Too many Fraudsters have returned and been welcomed back from their enforced holiday and rarely have they suffered for the damage they have done to Cycling Sport or their colleagues .

Time people realise there are many hard working cycle employees out there that cannot afford to be unemployed through the selfish behaviours of the racers !

also time that these hard working employees start changing the working conditions and start breaking the omerta.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
simo1733 said:
I take your point about the worlds problems but football hooliganism apologist's used to say the same thing.The English Premier League has just about eradicated football hooliganism while English society is just as violent as ever.

violent society exists outside the stadiums but is not tolerated inside. why because sponsors would run a mile.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
LesMcLuffAlot said:
I'm thinking he will be suprised to find out that being a barista doesn't pay over a million euros a year. Tough to raise a child on a barista's wages.

he admitted to looking forward to working for a 1000euro a month;)

that's the average wage in Italy and lots manage to raise more than 1 kid on that.

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy to hear the lads out of hospital and back on his bike.. at least he's out there enjoying the bike like we all do.. From what I've read in the article on here is that he's decided, finally, to give it all up and go play.. You certainly can understand his frustrations and the pressure he's been under, this could be the best time to move on.. forget the horrid bits and just play..

May 6, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma, maybe you know more then more me (and this is directed to everybody else), but I have to take issue with the fact that Riccò denies the fact the blood doped, if that wasn't the case, why was he sacked by Vacansoleil, who signed Riccò, so they can ride the Giro? I don't think they would fire him for no reason, so something, surely must of been going on, for them to take that course of action to their prize recruit.

Sorry, but I think Riccò is full of ****. Especially his when one takes into account with his rep as an amateur.

Latest posts