• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ricco's Funny

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I can certainly see the irony in his quote but doesn't he have a point? I thought it was supposed to be his national body (CONI) issuing the suspension?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
He does have a point because CONI is responsible for suspending Italian athletes, not the UCI. The UCI can appeal the length of the suspension, as it did for Vino's one-year suspension when he decided to not retire afterall, but Ricco's situation seems quite ridiculous. This may also have some bearing on the UCI's handling of the Valverde case because if the UCI is not going to respect CONI's suspension of their own athlete then they may be unwilling to look favourably upon CONI banning an athlete from another country.

Mar 19, 2009
www.flammerouge.je
I agree with my fellow "rouge".

Don't care who bans him as long as he doesn't come back. Even my missus spotted he didn't have his mouth open when he attacked on the Aspin.

PS is that t***er or w***er. I'll have whichever one you're not using!

A

Anonymous

craig1985 said:
If he didn't continue to be an arrogant ****, I wouldn't mind if he came back, he can discover a thing called humility.

We are talking about a guy that made up his own nickname. I think anyone who makes up their own nickname should then be branded with the nickname "Koko the Monkey" as a punishment. I think I'll pass that suggestion along to the UCI.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
We are talking about a guy that made up his own nickname. I think anyone who makes up their own nickname should then be branded with the nickname "Koko the Monkey" as a punishment. I think I'll pass that suggestion along to the UCI.

Rasmussen came up with "Chicken"? Wow - I think that is punishment enough!

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Flamme_Rouge said:
I agree with my fellow "rouge".

Don't care who bans him as long as he doesn't come back. Even my missus spotted he didn't have his mouth open when he attacked on the Aspin.

PS is that t***er or w***er. I'll have whichever one you're not using!

That would be w***er so any others are all yours my friend!:D

Thoughtforfood said:

Did he ask to be called T-Bone ?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
The Cobra.... LOL

Last year a Danish rider told the media that in the peloton he wasn't called the Cobra, but a Stålorm, which is a european snake-looking reptile on about 20 cm.

In english it is called Slow worm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anguis_fragilis

He had gotten the nickname because he was/is an egoistic pr***, and someone found it funny to give him another nickname.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

I think this is a great idea. We may end up with alot of Kokos though.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

Although I agree with this post completely -- I think Koko was actually the signing gorilla and bubbles was the monkey.

Either way -- Ricco was nothing but a cobra's @ss.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Technicalities!

elapid said:
He does have a point because CONI is responsible for suspending Italian athletes, not the UCI. The UCI can appeal the length of the suspension, as it did for Vino's one-year suspension when he decided to not retire afterall, but Ricco's situation seems quite ridiculous. This may also have some bearing on the UCI's handling of the Valverde case because if the UCI is not going to respect CONI's suspension of their own athlete then they may be unwilling to look favourably upon CONI banning an athlete from another country.

You are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that these are mere technicalities. Ricco doped. Had he not doped, these would be moot issues.

The "Cobra" bit himself. His comments are dripping with the ironic venom from that bite. (Sorry, I could not resist! :rolleyes:) I would like to see him get the "death penalty". In other words, he should be banned for life or at least 10 years. Such a penalty has great possibilities of being a deterrent to others who, for whatever reason, are considering doping.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
jerryz said:
You are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that these are mere technicalities. Ricco doped. Had he not doped, these would be moot issues.

This is a personal opinion, to which you are obviously entitled, but I stated the facts as they exist and it has very little to do with Ricco and more to do with the UCI and their relationship with national drug federations such as CONI. The length of a suspension is determined by the national drug federation, in Ricco's case that is CONI and Hamilton's case that is the USADA. The UCI does not have the jurisdiction, to the best of my knowledge, to extend the length of this suspension without appealing it to the CAS. WADA did this with Hamilton when USADA gave him an 8-year suspension and WADA wanted a life suspension. However, the UCI has not gone to the CAS to extend Ricco's suspension and has thus acted beyond its capacity.

jerryz said:
YIn other words, he should be banned for life or at least 10 years. Such a penalty has great possibilities of being a deterrent to others who, for whatever reason, are considering doping.

This approach has not worked for murder and other capital crimes, and did not work for the likes of Hamilton. So it is very unlikely to work in the professional peloton.

Not only do cyclists not get a second chance with this approach (and look how vocal Millar is against doping), and we are all entitled to a second chance if we have made mistakes (no matter how monumental they are), but we would also lose opportunities for dopers to provide an insight into doping practices in the peloton which will help the authorities to clean up the peloton in the future. Just my opinion.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Oh but Lance, Contadoper, Shleck, Sastre, Wiggins, Evans etc have all raced with their natural crits and were totally clean! But the "dirty doped Ricco" gets 24 months!

Ha

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
More to this than little Ricco....

:confused:
elapid said:
This is a personal opinion, to which you are obviously entitled, but I stated the facts as they exist and it has very little to do with Ricco and more to do with the UCI and their relationship with national drug federations such as CONI. The length of a suspension is determined by the national drug federation, in Ricco's case that is CONI and Hamilton's case that is the USADA. The UCI does not have the jurisdiction, to the best of my knowledge, to extend the length of this suspension without appealing it to the CAS. WADA did this with Hamilton when USADA gave him an 8-year suspension and WADA wanted a life suspension. However, the UCI has not gone to the CAS to extend Ricco's suspension and has thus acted beyond its capacity.

Yes, clearly the facts are being overlooked in this case.
It would appear that UCI is playing politics and silly power struggles.
This will definitely have an impact on how the Valverde suspension plays out.
Ricco is small potatoes, UCI versus CONI is a heavy weight match worth watching.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mont Ventoux said:
:confused:
Yes, clearly the facts are being overlooked in this case.
It would appear that UCI is playing politics and silly power struggles.
This will definitely have an impact on how the Valverde suspension plays out.
Ricco is small potatoes, UCI versus CONI is a heavy weight match worth watching.

+1
I really dont care to much for Ricco whether it is 18 months or 24 month but a battle between UCI & CONI coud be very revealing.

Also what ever happened to the 4 year minimum suspension that PMcQ mentioned at the start of the year that.
McQ said it was coming in very soon....... i think I answered my own question.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
UCI vs CONI : Title match

Dr. Maserati said:
+1
I really dont care to much for Ricco whether it is 18 months or 24 month but a battle between UCI & CONI coud be very revealing.

Also what ever happened to the 4 year minimum suspension that PMcQ mentioned at the start of the year that.
McQ said it was coming in very soon....... i think I answered my own question.

I hear you!
Ricco really harshed my mellow. I wanted to believe that the guy was really climbing on " Bread & Water", but during the TDF when he started picking stages to win with relative ease and with that bravado of his, I knew something was not quite right.

With the games that UCI is playing, UCI stands to lose the concerted effort that is needed in the doping fight.

Question: Why is it that CONI has to take down a cheat like Valverde and not the UCI or the Spanish authorities for that matter??
And why was it that poor Jan Ulrich paid so high a price , while other OPERACION PUERTO creeps continue to ride and earn a living??

Mar 19, 2009
www.flammerouge.je
Mistake????

Not only do cyclists not get a second chance with this approach (and look how vocal Millar is against doping), and we are all entitled to a second chance if we have made mistakes (no matter how monumental they are)...

Agree totally, I'm sure we've all made mistakes for which we have deserved and probably received second chances. But Ricco didn't make a mistake he blatantly cheated. He even told us which stages he was going to win!

As for the political stuff? That could take even longer to sort out than the doping. Power struggles are always messy and there's always blood on the carpet...

TRENDING THREADS