• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ricco's Return

May 7, 2009
Visit site
It seemed that Ricco said some particularly nasty things about other riders during the '08 Giro and it seems likely that his performance was due to CERA (by inference being caught at TDF later). His comments came across as pretty mean-spirtited and cocky. To think that his ego was inflated by a suspect performance makes him come across as that much more of a low-life to me.

I remember reading an interview with Roberto Heras after he won the Vuelta most recently and he talked about how he claimed the victory "above all, with humility". I think that is interesting. I guess he was probably cheating, too, but at least he was humble about it. I think if I were in a position where I was awarded something that I knew I did not desrve, I would be very humble about it and not arrogant and cocky like Ricco.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
No matter his behaviour, he was a talented rider. Let's hope he makes a good use of this new opportunity and gives Flaminia enough boost to secure them a spot in next year's Giro.

May 20, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't stand the guy. Struck me as a real jerk. But when he got suspended, I missed him. The sport is more fun to watch with a variety of characters. His cocky arrogance adds flavor. After getting over my first reaction of repulsion, I now look forward to his next outrage with a sense of humor!

A

Anonymous

I for one hope he comes back...

But i hope he gets dropped like a cheap date on the first mountain he rides :D I wanna see the guy climb, and suffer like hell without cera.. then see how cocky he is..

A cheat is one thing.. a cocky, smug cheat is another thing entirely..

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
AlHooKoo said:
That P.O.S. was a serious well-sucker while on the juice,
assuming he's stays off the juice, he's going to be wheel sucking every k.
If he had a clean come back he'd be outside top 50 or just DNF Grand Tours and he'd never ever win anything big outside Tours. He'd be fired or trasfer to a smaller outfit. That goes for anyone by the way, no matter what talent they have. You dont start to stop, unless your nuts.

Ricco told reporters he "cant wait to come back even stronger." Ricco very, very much insinuated as much as he could that he is coming back to dope. I find it surprising nobody picked up on this.

Should be good fun. He's no where near the talent of the top 10 me thinks...But he's still funny. LOL

ricco-simoni.png

I cannot get this image of Ricco out of my mind.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
ricco-simoni.png

I cannot get this image of Ricco out of my mind.

If Ricco were American would he be considered white trash? And who the hell were those sorts of sunglasses inside a building or indeed anywhere?

May 26, 2009
Visit site
In my imaginary perfect world he'd never have been suspended for 2 years for the doping. He'd have been suspended way before then for being an unbearable loudmouthed posterior.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Two points:

1) I believe Ricco's intent is to come back and be a better doper, not a clean cyclist.

2) Pity an otherwise good photo of Simoni is tainted by Elton Ricco's presence.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
yourwelcome said:
In my imaginary perfect world he'd never have been suspended for 2 years for the doping. He'd have been suspended way before then for being an unbearable loudmouthed posterior.

+1. Obviously doping scandals are never good for the image of the sport, but I can't say I was sorry to see him go down.

A

Anonymous

You gotta love a guy who comes up with his own nickname. Its like George Costanza wanting to be called T-Bone. Maybe Ricco's nickname should be Koko the Monkey now like George?

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
yes he is arrogant and cocky and a doper but he served his time he should be back riding in the peloton, look at basso I mean how is this guy doing this, he doped served his two years came back with a top level team and gets back to winning and puts in a good performance in the giro, unbelievable so I think ricco should be given the same opportunity. I hope he comes back clean and does well.

TRENDING THREADS