• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riccos Return

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
I am referring to anyone who can enjoy a cyclist one day, and overnight change their mind if that cyclist is sanctioned - as if it's some shock horror.

Positive tests are no indication of the level of doping.

+1
Hugh Januss said:
We will have to agree to disagree then.

That's alright;)

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
reubenr said:
I simply do not believe in giving dopers a second, third or forth chance. This "I'm sorry" BS, or "Ooops, I made a mistake" BS, is just that, pure unadulterated BS.

You can't jsut kick out the riders who get caught while the rest of the doped riders who don't get caught keep racing.

Doping is part of cycling, it always has been and always will be. 2nd chances are only natural, anyways a 2 year ban is more than enough to teach a rider to be more careful.

reubenr said:
The fact that Patani is his hero should speak volumes. Patani's career was beset by drug abuse allegations after a failed blood test in the 1999 Giro d'Italia. He died after a cocaine overdose in 2004. This is a hero? Well, I guess that works for cheaters.

PANTANI not Patani, you *** ! :mad:

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
So you operate your moral guidlines at the mercy of the UCI Bio Passport?

My moral guidelines are not based on anything from the UCI.

Ferminal said:
I am referring to anyone who can enjoy a cyclist one day, and overnight change their mind if that cyclist is sanctioned - as if it's some shock horror.

Positive tests are no indication of the level of doping.

You're reading things into my post that aren't there. I find it nowhere near shocking when anybody is caught doping. I never said that positive tests or lack of positives are any indication either. The fact is once they are caught through legal measures any excitement they may have raced with is no longer just suspicious but proven to be cheating. So my opinion isn't changed, just verified.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
reubenr said:
I simply do not believe in giving dopers a second, third or forth chance. This "I'm sorry" BS, or "Ooops, I made a mistake" BS, is just that, pure unadulterated BS. We have doping in cycling because we have doping in our society and people are sympathetic to people who use dope for all the obvious reasons. What we don't want to admit is that people who use dope are abusive to others in a thousand different ways. Ricco, himself, seems to believe that a lot of people will welcome him back because he knows doping is tolerated. Cheats like cheats. It affirms them and this forum seems to evidence the fact that he is correct. This, of course, is pathetic. Some people work hard to win, while others cheat in order to win. It is impossible for me to understand how the latter has become acceptable. Some body should ride over the guy and all the people like him. NOTHING SHORT OF A LIFE TIME BAN IS APPROPRIATE. I really do not want to see this guy again. He spoiled the Giro with his behavior and destroyed the TDF. Who knows how long he was doping. The fact that Patani is his hero should speak volumes. Patani's career was beset by drug abuse allegations after a failed blood test in the 1999 Giro d'Italia. He died after a cocaine overdose in 2004. This is a hero? Well, I guess that works for cheaters.

Frankly, some people are just better than others, and as long as they are able to perform at their peak, it will always be that way, but I like the guy who finishes second, third, on and on because they are making it a race. Advertisers would have you believe differently but we should be able to make up our own minds about things, and in this case, I do not welcome Ricco back.

Saying they made a mistake is not BS. Mistake in calculations. This needs to go to the clinic. Again a failure by the Mods behalf!

slowoldman said:
My moral guidelines are not based on anything from the UCI.

You're reading things into my post that aren't there. I find it nowhere near shocking when anybody is caught doping. I never said that positive tests or lack of positives are any indication either. The fact is once they are caught through legal measures any excitement they may have raced with is no longer just suspicious but proven to be cheating. So my opinion isn't changed, just verified.

So you have as much dislike for Menchov, Contador, Schlecks, Armstrong, Kloden as you do with Valverde, Ricco, Vinokourov?

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
So you have as much dislike for Menchov, Contador, Schlecks, Armstrong, Kloden as you do with Valverde, Ricco, Vinokourov?

I wouldn't call it dislike, just suspicion (although some of those listed have had my suspicions verified through failed tests). Frankly, I have my suspicions about most of the pro field as most everyone does. That is why I participate in more than watch bike racing.

auscyclefan94 said:
I find it sad that you say that.

I find it sad that cats get killed by cars, avocados turn stringy when overripe, and Bush has not been indicted for war crimes; but it is the way of the world. It is total fantasy to think that any top pro who has been at it for the better part of a decade has been a clean rider, especially a GT contender. It is foolish to think that any top rider today is clean and succeeding despite his rivals being on the sauce, which gives very large performance gains. It is best to consider the whole sport nothing but entertainment that has liitle to do with real athletic competition, much like professional wrestling. It can still be fun to watch. Just don't kid yourself that what you are seeing is legitimate.

BroDeal said:
I find it sad that cats get killed by cars, avocados turn stringy when overripe, and Bush has not been indicted for war crimes; but it is the way of the world. It is total fantasy to think that any top pro who has been at it for the better part of a decade has been a clean rider, especially a GT contender. It is foolish to think that any top rider today is clean and succeeding despite his rivals being on the sauce, which gives very large performance gains. It is best to consider the whole sport nothing but entertainment that has liitle to do with real athletic competition, much like professional wrestling. It can still be fun to watch. Just don't kid yourself that what you are seeing is legitimate.

It is still real athletic competition, and is every bit legitimate. The amount of work and effort the guys put into it has not changed. If anything it has increased, the only difference is the one new variable, pharamacological preparation. Nobody wins by taking drugs and sitting on the couch waiting to get stronger, they take the drugs so they can train longer and more intensely, but still recover and rebuild.
It isn't the fact that doping spoils the head to head competition the makes it wrong, it is simply the fact that the doping has gotten so good that there is no longer a choice of do I dope or do I not. The choice now is, do I want to be a pro bike rider or not.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
It is still real athletic competition, and is every bit legitimate. The amount of work and effort the guys put into it has not changed. If anything it has increased, the only difference is the one new variable, pharamacological preparation. Nobody wins by taking drugs and sitting on the couch waiting to get stronger, they take the drugs so they can train longer and more intensely, but still recover and rebuild.
It isn't the fact that doping spoils the head to head competition the makes it wrong, it is simply the fact that the doping has gotten so good that there is no longer a choice of do I dope or do I not. The choice now is, do I want to be a pro bike rider or not.

I find it hard to believe that all or 90% are doing it. I do see your point. I would think more would be caught if alll were doing it. It would be a lot more obvious if more did it. Why do we criticise riders for doping if "all" do it? Seems hypocritical.