• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 85 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
Why is Porte so inconsistent and prone to bad days?

Because at this moment in his career and as he has prepared for the tour, he is only a domestique rider. Hence, why he looks so inconsistent for an overall result. However, as a domestique, his performance so far is entirely consistent with this mode. ;)

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
At least we (maybe) know one thing...
Battery time is short in SKY..

I don't know if doping/training/tactics causes this, but surely they have consistency issues in this team..
The explanation could very well be lack of GT experience and talent in leadership.. We just don't know....!!

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
MellowJohnny said:
the fact that sky are taking such a hammering is proving to me that they are in fact a clean team.

A new pseudonym for being tactically dumb? Because regardless of whether they are clean or not they are ridding with surprising tactical naiveté, and almost always have done. Did they expect kiri to win today, or was it just a case that they forgot their wasn't anybody to use him as a bridge? Me thinks david sits down and watches "Tour de France, the not boring bits" DVD before each stage without reading the contextual footnotes for each clip. Not going to work against the teams in the clips. :D

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
That only started in 2014. 2013 and 2012, Sky just had to announce they were targeting a race and made the peloton look like amateurs at that race. And they did that for months at a time.

Something sure changed in 2014. No doubt.

Genuine question...

What do you think changed?

They where still facing the same authorities/persons within those?

Do they have a leack? maybe?? (SKY,UCI,ASO, ETC) since we in general have seen more BP cases of late.. Combined with external pressure they may made a judgement of beeing more conservative in the expoitations of marginal gains/grey areas??
No joke, what do you think?

Ledigi

BANNED
Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
mrhender said:
Genuine question...

What do you think changed?

They where still facing the same authorities/persons within those?

Do they have a leack? maybe?? (SKY,UCI,ASO, ETC) since we in general have seen more BP cases of late.. Combined with external pressure they may made a judgement of beeing more conservative in the expoitations of marginal gains/grey areas??
No joke, what do you think?

some people say Cookson is protecting Sky. But Sky went very good under MCQuaid and awful under Cookson. Something is wrong here.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:
Isn't he sick? You have to wonder why they've been keeping him in the race, makes no sense.

come on, this is showbiz, camera time pays (and most probably he's got more now, fading away, than he could hope for while staying in the group)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Ledigi said:
some people say Cookson is protecting Sky. But Sky went very good under MCQuaid and awful under Cookson. Something is wrong here.

Froome seemed to be in blistering, world beating form at the beginning of the Dauphine. He probably would have won the Tour.

Richie might actually be sick, rather than laying off the dope. :eek:

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
Froome seemed to be in blistering, world beating form at the beginning of the Dauphine. He probably would have won the Tour.

Richie might actually be sick, rather than laying off the dope. :eek:

Or sulking, again. DB certainly seems impressed by his form swings.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
What I see of Porte is what I have seen from EBH, Dombrowski etc. Decline?

I wonder why "The Train" of the last two years is no longer effective? Kiri did a nice ride today. Got shelled on the last climb......Reboot!

thehook said:
What I see of Porte is what I have seen from EBH, Dombrowski etc. Decline?

I wonder why "The Train" of the last two years is no longer effective? Kiri did a nice ride today. Got shelled on the last climb......Reboot!

Kiri had been in the break the previous day finishing 3rd.

The 2013 Sky tour de France team was not that great. Froome was badly isolated on one day and Sky struggled with the cross winds on another. Porte has not been good this year and Kennaugh has suffered with injuries as well, Stannard had that really bad injury from earlier in the year.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
The most curious thing about Porte is how he seems to be undroppable. The highlight of his 2014 season is a stage win at the TDU, in January. He DNF at LBL, didn't start the Giro, went backwards at the first mountainous stage of the Dauphine, yet still manages to secure a berth in the TdF squad, not just as domestique, which might have been justifiable, but as heir apparent. Hilarious really that both Sky and the more rabid elements of the clinic thought he was actually going to win it.

And something stinks in Brailsford's handling of this. Why leave Wiggins and Kennaugh at home and take a formless, unproven (in 0214) Porte? i was saying this before the Tour and generally was geing shouted down, people saw his 2013 as demonstrative of his ability, and yet he was worse that pathetic in the Tour. At first he said he struggled with the heat, then a DS said he was sick. Frankly I don't care about either: he shouldn't have started the Tour.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else get the feeling that Porte has fallen out of the team given the drop off in pace. That or his given up trying because he lost any chance of a podium