• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
JimmyFingers said:
He also didn't have almost the entire season out with illness leading up to the Tour. I would expect him to be under the levels he was achieving last year, since his training must have been affected.

Except the lack of racing means he's fresher, and every time he got back from training he either said he was flying, going better than last year, or looking forward to stomping the next race.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Except the lack of racing means he's fresher, and every time he got back from training he either said he was flying, going better than last year, or looking forward to stomping the next race.

Mind games. He has very little racing in his legs, and none of his performances in the Dauphine or the Tour suggest that any of what he claims is true. I'm sure he'll have one or two good days on the Tour, but Nibbles looks as good as he ever has at the moment.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Haha hilarious. What happened to the rest day turbo-charging and Brailsford winning 3 tours with 3 riders? Perhaps some of you will learn a lesson, but. I severely doubt it.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
Plan B should have been stage hunting from the moment Froome went down badly.

G could have been laying it down in the cobbles stage with Boom, then the rest stage hunt whenever the opportunity presents.

Let loose the monster that is Kiriyenka

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, he was spooked by a doping case almost a year old.

You need to look up spooked.

Not that I have much sympathy for Brailsford: his much-vaunted plan A and plan B are in tatters. Maybe he should start searching for a French rider for next season. Beurgeil may be persuaded.

I'm glad about today, believe it or not. Good to see Sky fail, soppy tw@ts

JimmyFingers said:
Not that I have much sympathy for Brailsford: his much-vaunted plan A and plan B are in tatters. Maybe he should start searching for a French rider for next season. Beurgeil may be persuaded.

I'm glad about today, believe it or not. Good to see Sky fail, soppy tw@ts

Porte had a virus apparently. Who knows with Sky. They are always sick :cool:

They are a strong team but their tactics suck big time.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Haha hilarious. What happened to the rest day turbo-charging and Brailsford winning 3 tours with 3 riders? Perhaps some of you will learn a lesson, but. I severely doubt it.

Don't underestimate Brailsfraud. Deliberately starting this season on lesser juice not to be too suspicious, show "human face" in Dauphine. Knowing what's going to happen (JTL bust medialized) he silently crashed out Vroom, now he'll take out little Richie (best way would be to mention some african infection to keep the style) and go full genius on (marginally more "friendly") Vuelta.

Parker said:
Xabier's chances are somewhat hampered by his abandonment on Stage 6.

That too.
:D

But in 2011, when Wiggo went down, the team really animated the race and actually won a stage. Challenged for a few more. (Flecha was well on his way to being close before being driven into the barbed wire fence)

thehog said:
I'd say what we saw today is about right for his talents. So much for climbing faster than Froome in training.
Walsh will be crying.

I assumed that was only when Froome was recovering after his Dauphine crash.

Last 3 grand tour GC results for Sky:

Vuelta 2013: best placed rider - Rigoberto Uran - 27th

Giro 2014: best placed rider - Sebastian Henao - 22nd

Tour 2014: best placed rider - currently Richie Porte - 16th at 11 minutes down

Terrible year for Sky since Froome won yellow in Paris.

doperhopper said:
Don't underestimate Brailsfraud. Deliberately starting this season on lesser juice not to be too suspicious, show "human face" in Dauphine. Knowing what's going to happen (JTL bust medialized) he silently crashed out Vroom, now he'll take out little Richie (best way would be to mention some african infection to keep the style) and go full genius on (marginally more "friendly") Vuelta.

The amusing thing is, you're probably serious. Did I say amusing? On second thoughts, it's scary reality is full of loonies like you! At least christmas must be easy - tinfoil hat again please!

JRanton said:
I assumed that was only when Froome was recovering after his Dauphine crash.

Last 3 grand tour GC results for Sky:

Vuelta 2013: best placed rider - Rigoberto Uran - 27th

Giro 2014: best placed rider - Sebastian Henao - 22nd

Tour 2014: best placed rider - currently Richie Porte - 16th at 11 minutes down

Terrible year for Sky since Froome won yellow in Paris.

Marginal losses?

I would have been surprised if Porte had done well this tour going by his form lately.

TRENDING THREADS